“Amazing”

House of Blues Chicago
Ranked #6 of 570 Nightlife in Chicago
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Good music, good drinks and food. Good place to have a beer and relax with the incredible concerts, such as kings of leon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have heard about the gospel brunch for a long time and visited the website which made it sound like a spirited, fun time for a Sunday morning. Looking forward to a day trip out of town, a friend and I made plans to travel by train to the HOB gospel bunch. We had reservations for the 12:30 PM show. I was already suspect when I called the venue to find out when the brunch was over and was told it amounted to 90 minutes in order to determine our return time for our train reservations. We arrived 45 minutes early and had time to browse the gift shop. Our seats were reserved online through LiveNation and were located on the floor at family style tables. I was extremely disappointed about the 20 minute wait to be seated. The seating was tight and uncomfortably close. Once seated it took another 20 minutes to maneuver the buffet and then another 10 minutes going back and forth for drinks. The show started before we completed the buffet line. Once seated I felt I had to eat fast in order to enjoy the show. When I finished eating I realized the show was ending. I only sampled 1/4th of the buffet offerings and of those the food was average. I felt rushed through the buffet and the show was so short that I would not recommend this brunch to anyone. It was extremely disappointing and I rode the train home with indigestion and no spirit. Definitely not worth the $46.00 and round trip train fare to Chicago for a day trip. I felt taken.

5  Thank sharris79
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I don't care what religion you are, this is the best way to spend a Sunday morning. You will leave feeling really good and having had a fun time. And the food is really pretty awesome too! I try to make this part of my trip every time I head up to Chicago because it means that much to me.
I have had box seating as well as the general seating and I have honestly loved both. If it's a special occasion, I would suggest the splurge and go box. There is something to be said in sharing this experience with new friends. And, you will leave having made new friends by the end of the show! It's just that kind of environment.
The brunch is big and has everything imaginable, so go hungry! Have fun and check your ego at the door.

1  Thank Kim8756
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Visited the restaurant at House of Blues Chicago with a friend while the band both of our husbands work for were setting up to play upstairs.

It took a LONG time for our server to get to us. At least 15/20 minutes. He was friendly, and really polite but the service here was pretty slow.

It is also pricey for what it is. I ordered the vegetarian pasta and my friend had the Cobb salad with no meat plus a drink each came to $40 before a tip and that was including a 10% discount we got with our all access passes because we were with a performer! The food was tasty, decent serving sizes but I'm not sure it was worth that kind of money really.

The musician on stage while we were eating was good, so we enjoyed that, and the place seemed busy so they must be doing something right but I'm in no hurry to come back here.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked the Gospel Brunch for the 10:00 first show. While there were people filling the lobby waiting to be let in, there were no obnoxious crowds pushing and shoving.

We did arrive hungry so the wait was difficult but well worth it. Like most buffets, there was plenty of food and lots of choices. I have never had chicken and waffles so this was a chance to give it a try. What is that gravy, anyway? Choose your stations carefully as you could fill up on salads only to find out that there is a huge bowl of shrimp, a person carving roasts, an omelette station and that darned chicken and waffle station. I didn't get to the free mimosas as the coffee station was close and it was hot and good. I was too late to arrive at the dessert station, it was fully picked over and all that was left was some tired looking cookies. Who needs dessert after all that other food? If you have to eat more, pick up your desserts early.

The entertainment was fun, fun, fun. Cedrik Nunley and the kids from the Prayer Church put on a good show. He had the audience up dancing, on the stage performing and singing along. Not everything was traditional gospel music but it all made you feel good. The kids did a terrific job and there are some serious future professional entertainers in that group. It was hard to believe that we ate and were entertained in just 2 hours. It was so much fun!

1  Thank GenevieveK