“Inspirational Sunday Gospel Brunch”

House of Blues Chicago
Ranked #6 of 563 Nightlife in Chicago
Saint Paul, Minnesota
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Inspirational Sunday Gospel Brunch”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

By brunch standards The House of Blues' food doesn't stand out from others, but the Gospel performances are food for the soul. The seating is family style at long tables but you can reserve a more private box if sitting next to a stranger bothers you. The HoB Gospel Brunch is an efficiently run operation with the only annoyance being the obnoxiously loud instructions given before the guests are allowed into the venue. The food is decent - I would recommend th omelette station - but nothing more. What you're really going for is the inspiring gospel music, and that is outstanding. They move things along, but we never felt rushed so you'll have plenty of time to eat and to enjoy the show.

3 Thank CurtTravel

Austin, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“House of Dues”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Had supper prior to a friend's gig in the upstairs club later that evening. My Guinness was 6.50. Pricey yes but expected. I ordered a Spinach salad and my husband the salmon sandwich with sweet potato fries (extra charge). He thought the salmon was tasty and the ciabatta bun good. . I thought the salad, well not so much. The dressing was oily and the strawberries were sliced paper thin and scarce. Our server very friendly and busy. She stated if we spent over 40.00 we could bypass the outside line for the show. Our meal was not over the minimum so outside we went. The line for the show snaked around the building and it took about 20 minutes to get back inside. Once upstairs we saw most seats had reserved tags. There were empty tables but they had a 20.00 a seat charge and 50.00 minimum tab. We love and support live music but this venue, however lovely in it's design(the folk art is wonderful), is not a club we would return to. Besides, there are so many better places to eat in Chicago.

Visited September 2011
Sarasota, Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Bad experience; will not return”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

When I reserved tickets on my IPad, I saw nothing that said this was standing room only for at least two hours. If I had known, I would not have made the reservation for five of us. I have been to House of Blues in other locations where we were able to sit. We were unable to get a refund, but one of our group went to the Foundation line and somehow managed an invitation up to the fourth level. Even in a special area with private bar and private rooms, we were not happy with our experience. A few Foundation members had box seats and places to sit. The rest of us stood farther back and could not see the performers. It appeared that everyone else in the building was standing. The DJ in the bar area there seemed to think that the only prerequisite was LOUD. That certainly detracted from the better music coming from the stage. For people who like music of many types, this was a disappointment.

Moline, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great place to see a concert; good food too.”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We went to a concert here, & had dinner in the restaurant beforehand. The ribs were fall off the bone, smoky deliciousness, & the mushroom swiss burger was very good too. Our server was great, & prices were reasonable.
Now, onto the show experience. It's an awesome, intimate venue. I don't think there's a bad spot in the place. I'd say not a bad seat in the house, but there weren't any seats, unless you had a bar stool or balcony seat reserved, & we didn't know how to get one of those. The acoustics were very good, & the beer was icy cold. However, I do have one (big) complaint. They don't let you out to smoke. Yes, I'm one of a dying breed of smokers, & when I'm enjoying some libations, I enjoy a cigarette too. I have no problem going outside to smoke, but that's not even an option here. Once you exit, you can't come back in. Everyone has a wrist band, so it's not like you could hand off your ticket to another person outside, & "share" the show, so I find it extremely frustrating that they refuse to accommodate the smokers by simply letting them step outside. If it weren't for that, I would have given a higher rating.

Arlington, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A fun evening”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was traveling with a co-worker from Europe who is a big Blues fan. The HoB was a natural choice. Dinner and beverages were good. Nothing fancy, but that was our expectation and preference that evening. We also enjoyed the live music in the diningroom/bar area. A good time overall.