Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
KK1980
Los Angeles

First Class

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jul 16, 2008
This Club is fantastic. I don't like snooty hotels, and this club retains it's elegance without feeling stuck up. I'm going to be married here in August 2008, and I can't wait! The staff has been SO wonderful to my family, and they are truly a joy to speak with on the phone. I live out of state and most of the planning has been remote, so their expertise and decorum is much appreciated. They have renovated all the guest rooms, and while they retain their old-world style, all of the fabrics, and furnishings are impeccable and refined. It's as if you stepped right back into the 1940's. This place is wonderful and I highly recommend it for a taste of true Chicago history.
Date of stay: August 2007
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
4.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesCheck in / front desk
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesBusiness service (e.g., internet access)
Fully refundable
  • SpringHill Suites
    $155
12.7 miles from Union League Club of Chicago
View more hotels in Chicago
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I just accompanied my husband here for a business meeting. It was a mixed bag, but it was an overall good experience. I arrived after my husband and picked up keys at the desk. Very friendly and attentive staff. I had a very small room on 15th floor with no view. As mentioned before, there was no frig, no safe, no ice on floor. Clean, nice Gilchrist and Soames bath products, great bed with two pillowtops and deluxe linens. My key malfunctioned twicw during my stay, as did my husband's. Much later I discovered a snack and ice machine on another floor, but you have to search diligently through your room service menu to find that.. There is a good room service menu, but no alcohol. There is the Rendezvous bar on 4th floor where you can order drinks charged to your room,but if you're alone you may feel out of place! I had to dine and spend many hours by myself and felt out of place here at times.I chose room service one night and the food was excellent. The food for our meeting was also good, but I was disappointed that they did not offer a vegetarian option. I didn't touch the entree and no one said a word or offered any substitutions. This is the year 2008 and there are many vegetarians on this planet, thank you. The athletic facility was nice, however if you wandered to the highest floor where the squash court was located it was filthy. There was trash and dirt all over the floor, as if it had been abandoned for months. Also, you have to go through a staff area to get to the workout room. The pool is NOT Olympic sized..it has to be 50 meters to meet that standard. It is 20 meters and roped off to 4 lanes. Nice for swimming, but short. I loved all the huge meeting rooms and the amazing art throughout the building. It's on par with a small gallery and boasts a curator. However, they do not have any tourist info in the lobby...no "Chicago This Week" magazines, city maps, etc. I did find those at the Washington Library a couple blocks away. Also, we received a Wall Street Journal paper daily. Sorry, but I'd rather have a Chicago Trib with local news and a crossword puzzle. The area is nice, but it's rather focused on the DePaul crowd. Several local eateries, such as the Chipotle Grill, My Thai and the small Mexican restaurant are only open till 4 pm.There were only 2 food options available on a Monday night in the entire block and those were Dunkin Donuts and Subway! Be prepared to do some walking or take a cab. There is a very nice coffee shop across the street from the hotel. This makes up for the subpar coffee makers in the room and the lack of morning coffee in the club. You could go to the breakfast room, but only if you are dressed to regulation, not in your athletic gear. You are also required to use a separate exit if you are in your athletic clothes or golf shorts. In conclusion, this is a lovely sophisticated place to stay, but it lacks some of the things a traveler needs at times. I much prefer the Chicago Hilton and would prefer a place which fits the needs of a solo traveler.

1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed June 18, 2008

A co-worker is a member at the Union League Club and she booked us two rooms for a recent conference stay in Chicago. The club is located in the theater district and boasts old world beauty but with very comfortable, modern rooms. My room was a beautiful corner room with two queen sized beds. The bath amenities, linens, and bed quality were comparable to a four star hotel.

Both nights there, we had drinks at the Rendezvous bar on the 4th floor. The service was attentive and friendly - lots of attention to detail but it didn't feel stuffy. Everyone from the wait staff to the front desk staff were incredibly friendly and personable.

The chocolate fondue at the Rendezvous was wonderful. We had to wait a while to receive it, but the waiter was great about giving us updates on the delay and getting us drinks to make the time go by more pleasurably.

The experience was so positive that my husband and I are considering applying for membership next year.

Reviewed June 13, 2008

My conference host required that we stay at the Union League Club. Our information specified that we were NOT to dress less than casual. When we arrived at the hotel on Saturday, there was a wedding going on. The staff and the guests were very snooty. I felt like I was at some exclusive gentleman's club and I felt very out of place.

I decided to eat breakfast in the Wigwam room. It was empty on Sunday so they showered me with attention and re-folded my napkin every time I unfolded it. I began to feel like I was too uncouthed for the Union Club.

During the week, real people arrived and the snootiness of the staff and guest reduced immensely. I even saw young people in the elevator, which weren't seen on the weekend.

In spite of the snootiness of the hotel, I enjoyed my stay. The bed highlighted the inadequateness of my bed at home. Their bed was sooooo comfortable that I forgot I was in a hotel, which NEVER happens when I stay at the SUPER 8 (LOL!)

In addition to the nice bed, the staff was wonderful--the front desk people, Victor and Arie the bellman, and the Wigman staff.

My concerns: the uppity dress code is outdated. With the massive travel restrictions and baggage charges, requiring people to dress up just to walk around a hotel seems a bit antiquidated and prudish to me.

The Rendevous staff were not friendly to me at all. I felt like I was in the Civil War era going into that restaurant.

The bathroom's size was ridiculous. The WHOLE bathroom was the size of my walk in closet at home and my house is only 1500 feet. I felt choked by the bathroom everytime I had to go into it. I had to use the mirror in the closet to get ready.

The room lacked a refrigerator. All hotels are now providing refrigerators in hotel rooms in light of the rising food costs at restaurants and the need to bring leftovers to the room. Union Club needs to add small refrigerators in the room.

What I liked about the hotel:
1. The comfortable bed
6. The walk-in shower with the marble floor
7. The luxury robe provided for guests
etc.

Reviewed April 16, 2008

Spent the day on business in the Union League. I must say the club is probably the best place I have every stayed. Wonderful atmosphere and a complete package. Free WiFi in your rooms. Clean. Old style charm. Check out the fitness facilities. They are just wonderful. Could not have asked for a better place to stay. Will stay there again.

One note. This is a place with atmosphere and elegance. Children while welcome should be well behaved to get the most out this club.

Date of stay: April 2008
Reviewed March 5, 2007

If you are looking for a charming old club, look no further. Every floor was filled with world class art and the staff was polite, friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious. Free internet computer access in the library. A very relaxed and pleasant experience with excellent location close to the Chicago Board of Trade. Room was small but a good value for the money. Priced very reasonably for this location in the Loop. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: March 2007