“Great food”

Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Loop
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: Blocks from the Red, Green and Orange line. Michigan Ave. Bus one block away.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Had a great dinner here while visiting Chicago for the marathon. The chips and salsa that were brought to the table after our order was taken were very good and we had great fun trying several of the tortilla dishes. Loved the decor as well. All in all a fun evening.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Was in Chicago on business and had a terrific meal at Zapatista. The guacamole was terrific and started the meal off right. I had the tacos on the home-made corn tortillas and they were delicious. My colleague had the shrimp tacos and said they were spicy but also really good. Our waiter was fabulous and the atmosphere was fun. Great meal at a reasonable price!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have been here twice, and am now a huge fan! The food is simply put--"to die for" good. The cocktails though a bit pricey, were refreshing and potent, particularly the Million Dollar Mojito made with freshly crushed mint leaves as it should be, and the Mango Margarita--my guest was smashed off two! As another reviewer noted: "The food was exceptional. Notably the specials and the quacamole made right before it was delivered." The special both times I ate there were magnificent! The Campechana Ceviche made with citrus marinated shrimp and crabmeat, tomato, onion, cilantro and guacamole, served with a corn tostada, was spectacular. My favorite Mexican appetizer, queso fundido, is best prepared here of all the places I have eaten in Chicago. Chihuahua cheese, chorizo and roasted chile poblano. “Yes sirrrr” as the kids say. I can't rave enough about this place--I must try their Sunday brunch!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I would imagine if you are attracted to Zapatista, it would be because you love Mexican food, like myself? Well, I was attracted to the restaurant for that reason and because it was a nice warm summer evening and the restaurant is so nicely located with a great patio and an open concept. Its decorated well and the service was great, a bit slow, but great.

I really loved the option they have of getting your tacos in lettuce instead of tortillas. I ordered the Carne asada tacos with the lettuce, which is one of my favourites, but the carne asada was no where near as good as the $2 carne asada tacos you can get at any hole-in-the-wall Mexican taco shop in the West side of town. As well, the beans were dry and not cooked properly. The salsa was ok but the drinks were creative and strong.

Overall a decent place but not the best, when it comes to Mexican or Mexican/American cuisine.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Business dinner. Huge delicious Margaritas. The guacamole was delicious and not too spicy. THey had a wide offering of basic mexican food and some specials. Fun atmosphere and outdoor dining.