“Best ever”

Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best ever”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Alinea is the ultimate dining experience of my life so far!! I have been to this experience (I call it an experience because it is far above being a restaurant) 3 times and I cannot wait to go back. What Grant Alscatz does it his laboratory is just amazing. he creates the most wonderful tastes of food I have ever had. Each presentation stimulates all of your senses from the sight of the dish to the smell and taste. just picture eating a chocolate dessert on a canvas of various sauces that has been created by one of the chefs- it is just wonderful. The servers explain everything and they are right there to make your dining experience one that will be remembered. For me it is well worth the money to have an experience of a lifetime!

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Oslo, Norway
“Living up to every expectations”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Second visit and still worth every dime!! Fantastic food with carefully picked and paired ingredients! This is as expected from a restaurant at this level, but what makes Alinea stand out are the presentations - a delightful circus of surprise and teasing of senses! Wines were fab, we went for the 250$ option, though coming from Europe we had hoped for some new American experiences! Still, who complains over a Chateau Musar 2001...

1 Thank Kjetil K
“Fabulous dinner”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have heard about the restaurant and finally was able to get reservations. The restaurant facade is very simple. The name was just on the valet parking sign. The venue is very streamlined but elegant which I really liked. The menu is exquisite and appeals to all the senses especially sight and taste. With two good friends the night turned out to be a very good experience. The presentation of the food was the entertainment for the night.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Zmencontre
“Culinary Adventure of Your Senses”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I experienced Alinea for our wedding anniversary back in May 2010 (omit the fact that tripadvisor only allowed me to select a date between 2012 and 2013). We opted for the wine pairing menu, which meant a different type of wine for EACH of the courses served. With the 15+ courses, I would NOT recommend having wine pairing unless you can tolerate having that much wine and that much varietal of wines. Both my husband and I actually ended up turning down the glasses of wine by the 7th course or so because we were so overwhelmed by the amount of wine!

Overall, we had spent 4-5 hours completing our dinner meal and it was definitely one culinary experience to remember. The best part of the meal was the dessert in which it was a masterpiece created on top of your table with a variety of different techniques used.

Would I say this is one of the best meals I have ever had? Not necessarily but definitely one of the more expensive meals per person we have ever had!! Don't get me wrong - this is definitely a wonderful meal but to us it was more of a culinary adventure/experience than a "meal" (sorry - it's kind of hard to explain but to me there is a difference between a "meal" and an "experience" and Alinea is more of an "experience"... ).

As for the culinary adventure of your senses:
(1). Sight - Aesthetics are brilliant both of the restaurant and plating of the food. Romantic with dim lighting with a spiral staircase heading up to the restaurant for seating. Plating of the food is artistic yet unique and unlike any other (mostly because it is due to its gastronomy style of food). It is hard to describe. The equipment such as plates used to serve the dishes are different depending on the technique involved in the preparation of the food.

Smell - Depending on the season, the menu may involve your sense of smell to complete the gastronomy experience. Imagine a "contained" puff of smell in a vacuum and in order to experience and taste the food, one must "poke" a hole in the "container" and experience the smell and then taste.

Touch - When your tongue comes in contact with the food, your eyes may tell you one thing but your tongue tells you something totally different - rest assured that it is a pleasant experience of the palate.

Taste - One would assume that gastronomy may just be technique used to prepare food a unique way but not necessarily appealing to the palate; however, at Alinea, all of the courses are well balanced, seasoned and delectable. Proportions may seem small at first but once you hit the 4th or so course, you'll be surprised just how satisfying (yet enjoyable) the small plates can be.

Hearing - Waiters and Waitresses are educated on each of the course. Ask them any question about each of the courses and they can tell you anything!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank eshopgirl
Glenview, Illinois
“More about theater...”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have been to a lot of high end places including all the usual ones like Tru, Charlie Trotter, Per Se (my all time favorite). I think this place is a little more about theater than the food. I won't give away any of the secrets but some of the courses just didn't taste all that fantastic. Some of them did. But for $300 a head, you would expect all of them to blow you out of the water. Also, I didn't find the atmosphere all that great. We were seated upstairs in a small room of about 5 or 6 tables but there were so many staff/servers around constantly moving about that it was somewhat unsettling. The service was great and the servers didn't come across as pretentious at all. I am just more about food than I am theater. Per Se is and remains my favorite. Perfect in every way.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Allisonfaye

Been to Alinea? Share your experiences!