“Wow!”

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Ranked #59 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand spectacle. The finest singers of our time. And immortal music performed by Lyric's internationally celebrated orchestra and chorus.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Lyric Opera is a beautiful older building with excellent seating. I could not have been more pleased. The room was warm and I would NOT recommend the wines! The operas were wonderful

Reviewed October 25, 2012

First time to the Lyric. Sat in the first balcony. Was a ways away, but the acoustics were fanstastic. An amazing building and the performance (simon bocannegra), awesome.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I love this place, the opera selections are excellent each year and easily reach by public transportation... train, bus and L.
Main floor is my choice to beat the crowd after performance to catch the train.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I saw Simon B. as a longtime subscriber,and I must say that while the singing was on par with other performances, it felt like a lullaby to my husband. I notice that there was only one intermission, but there should have been two, just so we could use the opportunity to have some type of stimulant,like coffee,or chocolate.

I was NOT enthralled by "Amelia"; she seemed to be a little sharp in her duets; I actually cringed while she sang.Maybe the Lyric Opera house required more power from her voice or better amplification.(The instruments seemed to overpower her voice). However,the performances by "Fiesco" and "Simon" and "Paolo" were superb! I felt Simon's despair when he discovered that his beloved was dead and his joy when he found his missing daughter,Amelia.

I was moved(or should I say "irritated") by the seatmates who felt the need to rattle candy paper, or applaud before the soloists were done.Needless to say, I have enjoyed countless other operas and will continue to attend.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Recommend not subscribing until you have tried it once. Acoustics and orchestra way off. And be prepared for the 'regulars'. They are very aggressive and not all that friendly. Just stay out of their way!