“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lyric Opera of Chicago

Lyric Opera of Chicago
Ranked #57 of 631 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand spectacle. The finest singers of our time. And immortal music performed by Lyric's internationally celebrated orchestra and chorus.
st. louis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

First time to the Lyric. Sat in the first balcony. Was a ways away, but the acoustics were fanstastic. An amazing building and the performance (simon bocannegra), awesome.

Visited October 2012

glenview,IL
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The best opera house”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I love this place, the opera selections are excellent each year and easily reach by public transportation... train, bus and L.
Main floor is my choice to beat the crowd after performance to catch the train.

Visited March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Simon Boccanegro, was not "Simple Simon"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I saw Simon B. as a longtime subscriber,and I must say that while the singing was on par with other performances, it felt like a lullaby to my husband. I notice that there was only one intermission, but there should have been two, just so we could use the opportunity to have some type of stimulant,like coffee,or chocolate.

I was NOT enthralled by "Amelia"; she seemed to be a little sharp in her duets; I actually cringed while she sang.Maybe the Lyric Opera house required more power from her voice or better amplification.(The instruments seemed to overpower her voice). However,the performances by "Fiesco" and "Simon" and "Paolo" were superb! I felt Simon's despair when he discovered that his beloved was dead and his joy when he found his missing daughter,Amelia.

I was moved(or should I say "irritated") by the seatmates who felt the need to rattle candy paper, or applaud before the soloists were done.Needless to say, I have enjoyed countless other operas and will continue to attend.

Visited October 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Recommend not subscribing until you have tried it once. Acoustics and orchestra way off. And be prepared for the 'regulars'. They are very aggressive and not all that friendly. Just stay out of their way!

Visited November 2011
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I am a subscriber and I love it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I go see 4 or 5 operas/concerts each season, and I really enjoy it. The first season I got seats in the upper balcony, not the best spot and a HIKE up the stairs. This year I'm in the dress circle. Should be better.

Visited March 2012