“This time with our 6 year old daughter”
Review of Blue Man Group

and up
Blue Man Group at the Briar Street Theater in Chicago
Ranked #6 of 179 Concerts & Shows in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: BLUE MAN GROUP is a popular theatrical show in Chicago that has been called "visually stunning," "wildly inventive," and "hysterically funny." The show takes a closer look at the technology that both surrounds and isolates us, showcasing technogeek ingenuity while uniting the audience in primal, collective exhilaration. With no spoken language, Blue Man Group is perfect for people of all ages (5+), languages, and cultures.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“This time with our 6 year old daughter”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is our 4th time seeing BMG in Chicago in addition to seeing the show in Vegas and their touring productions.

First tip, make sure you get to the theater 30 minutes before showtime. Preferably 45 minutes so you have time to explore the lobby.

We've been waiting for the time to bring our daughter to the show as the recommended age is 5.

I read another review that when asked, what part did they like best? The child said all of it. Same thing here. Our daughter has spent the last 2 days reenacting parts of the show and talking about it.

We'd recommend seeing the show to anyone that's visiting Chicago from a part of the country that does not have another BMG resident show nearby. As the show will be similar to ones in those other cities.

Also, in comparison to the traveling BMG shows, which are also fun, you just can't get the same vibe as being in one of their own theaters.

If you are staying in downtown Chicago it's an easy Red or Brown Line Train ride to Belmont Station. Walk East a couple blocks to Halsted and south 1/2 block.

Any seat in the theater is pretty good as it's smaller inside than you'd think. We have seen the show from a few different locations and all were good.

In the first few rows they will give you plastic smocks to wear but it's only as a precaution.

The front rows do give you a real up close experience but some of the things will happen further back so we prefer to be in the middle to rear portion of the theater.

We twice sat in Row T which is a bit further back but it's a wide row that allows Blue Men to walk from the one side of the theater to the other right in front of you.

Also, a big tip for the adventurous. If you get in the theater early keep an eye out for a stage hand that's watching the crowd as they enter. Try and get their attention and let them know you are up to anything that may happen during the show. It probably would help if you are sitting near an isle. You might get lucky.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jim H

• Turkish first
Campbellsville, Kentucky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fifth time...a little disappointed.”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Took my daughter for her first Blue Man Group show. It was my 5th time to the Briar Street Theatre to see them.

The show hasn't changed much over the years but it is still entertaining. We were there on a Sunday evening and the theatre was a little over half full which was the smallest crowd I've seen there. Made me wonder if people are tired and the show needs to be refreshed.

The finale is still good but they didn't bring the paper down from the back of the house and have it all over the audience. That was a big disappointment.

I found discount tickets from using a code on the BMG site which got me about $20 off each ticket on Ticketmaster. If you're flexible with your date and time check hottix.org for half price tickets from the Chicago League of Theatres (or something like that). You'll only get select show dates and times but I've used them before and the seats are either on the side or in the back but it's still a great value.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank DoubleB65
Indianapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic fun!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Our group of 6 ranged in age from 6 to 65 and we all loved this show! It was energetic and entertaining from beginning to end! When I asked my 6 year old granddaughter what her favorite part was, she responded "all of it!" The two hour show went by quickly and we were sorry to see it end. Very innovative and creative.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank plmslp
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“More than I expected”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

It was my first time seeing the blue man group. I never knew it had comedy and I didn't know no one talked. But it was so entertaining and I would love to see it again with friends.

Glenview, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Exciting, interactive and entertaining”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Our family went to see this show and we are so glad we went. It was very exciting, and fast moving. It kept you on your toes. It was interactive because at times they would come into the audience. They would come into the aisles and examine the faces of the audience, until they found the perfect one I guess. One lady sitting a few rows up from us was chosen to come up front to the stage. It was completely spontaneous, and though she didn't know what she was doing, somehow the Blue Man group made her look good - like she knew what she was doing. The Blue Man group made her look like a natural during the acts! That's professional!

The comedy was funny. People young and old can relate to the humor. The show is kid-friendly and appropriate for all ages. The only thing about the show was that it was pretty loud. Though they gave out complementary earplugs, it was still a bit loud at times for adults or older people. The show is cool for kids. I wouldn't call it great musical talent or even dancing. It's three men pulling off some great acts, with a back-up band of 3 lit up in neon colors. A family event.

Visited March 2014

Been to Blue Man Group? Share your experiences!