“Great show, beautiful theater”
Review of CIBC Theatre

CIBC Theatre
Ranked #74 of 643 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 15 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I saw "Book of Mormon" at the Bank of America Theater and we absolutely loved it. The show itself was fantastic--super funny and yes, offensive. What you would expect from the creators of South Park (who we love). The theater itself was so gorgeous--exactly how you picture a classic theater.

We ordered our tickets through the website you are directed to through the Bank of America Theater page. When we were choosing our seats, we had questions about where is the best place to sit for our budget and if we could pick tickets up at a will call (doesn't give you a will call option on the website). We ended up calling the 800 number for clarification and we spoke to a few people--all of which we super helpful. We ended up purchasing seats in the right section of the balcony about 5 rows up.

I'm sure there is an elevator in the building, but just FYI to get to the balcony level you climb a lot of stairs--seriously A LOT. Once we got to our level there was a bar, drinks were pretty small and pricey (which is to be expected).

Our actual seats were pretty decent-- my husband had an unrestricted view of the stage (he's over 6 feet tall). I sat in the seat to his right (there was one more seat to my right in the row) and I am much shorter than he is, but I couldn't see the very right/front portion of the stage. Almost nothing in the show occurred there, so I didn't miss much, but we were told we would have a "better view there" than from higher row in the center balcony. There was a portion of the show that was towards the back of the stage and because of how the props were arranged, we couldn't see one of the actor's heads. Again, pretty minor and we did get what we paid for.

Our seats in the right balcony for "Book of Mormon" were $74 a piece (some of the least expensive seats we could find...that weren't at the very top). Since there was not a will call booth at the theater, we had to pick our tickets up from a Stub-Hub location the day of the show. After we ordered the tickets, we were emailed the information (address, phone number) of where we could pick up our tickets. The pick up process was simple enough--needed the confirmation number from the email and a photo ID.

We took the metro from our hotel in the Gold Coast area to the theater and it was a simple trip and very short walk to the doors of the theater.

Definitely recommend seeing a show here--maybe splurge for one of the lower balconies.

All reviews
"obstructed view"
in 33 reviews
"during intermission"
in 27 reviews
"bank of america theatre"
in 17 reviews
in 15 reviews
"great seats"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We saw "The Book of Mormon". We were literally 3 rows from the top--we were actually behind the lights. In spite of that, the sound was good (but maybe a bit louder than it had to be) and visible. The one exception was one part where a character was up on a platform--I could see him from the knees down, and that was it. The seats were comfortable and there was pretty good leg room, and I'm 6-3. There was "reasonable" parking right down the street (reasonable by Chicago standards, anyway...with our ticket getting validated, it was "only" 21.00. It would have been 35 without it.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Loved the Book of Morman at the Bank of America Theatre. An excellent production with a great cast. Very funny and hysterical dance and song routines. We were able to get tickets the day before at a good price, far cheaper than in new York. It was so good to go to the theatre in the centre of the Loop around the corner from our Hotel.

1  Thank minoumex
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The theater is well kept and comfortable. I enjoyed seeking "The Book of Mormon." I got a $25 ticket at the pre-show lottery.