“The Oriental”
Review of Oriental Theatre

Oriental Theatre
Ranked #52 of 680 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 17 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is a beautiful theater and I would suggest arriving a little early to have time to admire the frescoes, etc. We sat in the orchestra left section and the legroom was tight, even for me and I am only 5"4". At least from the orchestra level for this show there did seem to be a bad seat. We noted that two seats in the second row that we considered and dismissed because one said partially obstructed view appeared to have a direct sightline for Ghost.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Went to see Ghost the Musical there 2 days ago. Beautiful interior, great staff, clean bathrooms, old school all the way, seats small and narrow...like airplane seats. Acoustics really great, easy to get in and out, though parking expensive at lot next door. Great neighborhood, across from Goodman theater. Walking to many restaurants and hotels.

1  Thank truparkhaysmom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We say Ghost at this theatre this week. The show was patchy great effects, but the front half of the show dragged and I thought the female lead was weak.

The theatre itself however was fantastic, over the top in every way, a pastiche of everything oriental, circa 1926 when it was built as a movie palace. By all means go and see it, and if your interest is more in the building than the show I believe they have tours on Saturday mornings.

A lovely over the top building restored to it’s peak. Well worth a trip.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We saw WICKED here a few weeks ago and it was everything I had hoped it would be. The sound system was excellent and the seats were very comfortable (we sat dress circle L on row 5) with a perfect view of the stage. We had the two most inner seats on the row. I believe the two outer seats had obstructed views. The interior of the building is very elegant. Loved the experience!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were fortunate enough to have gotten tickets to see WICKED on our last trip to Chicago, and we were thrilled by both the quality of the production, and the beautiful old Oriental Theater. We were pleasantly surprised to have such comfortable seats, both in width and leg room. We were on row M in orchestra, and the seats were well worth the price of the tickets. And then the performance itself was fabulous! I had seen the show previously in San Antonio and New York, and I can honestly say this was the most enjoyable. Next time I visit Chicago, we'll be sure to return to the Oriental.

Been to Oriental Theatre? Share your experiences!