“"Big Fish" Very Good, but one theater problem”
Review of Oriental Theatre

Oriental Theatre
Ranked #37 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 17 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We saw "Big Fish" in its pre-Broadway run at the Oriental. The play is very good, the actors excellent with superb voices, befitting their Tony Awards. The music is pretty good, and I cried a little at the end scenes of the play. I'd probably see it again.

The Oriental is an amazing venue, with fantastical decorating with an Asian mythological theme.

Here's my only problem. It used to be that theaters sold drinks and food at the intermission, and these drinks had to be consumed before returning to the auditorium for the performance. Apparently this has changed. The person next to us had obviously had a few drinks before the show. Then he brought a beer in a plastic cup in from the lobby at the beginning of the first act, alternately drinking and burping through the first act. At intermission, he and his companion went to the lobby and got some more. He came back in at the beginning of the second act with TWO more cups of beer, spilling a little of one as he tried to carry them both. He drank and burped his way through the rest of the play, laughing at the emotional scenes and waving his beer around.

Now, I drink too. When I go to a Bears or Cubs game, I've been known to have a few beers too. But the theater should be a little different than a sporting event. Let the patrons enjoy a cocktail or beer during intermission: no problem. Then go out and have as many as you want. But please, no liquor (or ANY drinks, for that matter) in the auditorium during the show. Plus, this guy was obviously drunk. Why was he being served at all at the theater bar?

Anyway, the theater is beautiful, there are no bad seats, and the show was good. We'll go back. We'll just have to hope for better seat neighbors nest time.

1  Thank unclebobg
"per ticket"
"front row"
"great place to see"

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Don't miss this production before it leaves for Broadway!! I laughed and I cried during this production. I wanted it to go on for another hour. Also, the venue is beautiful--can't be missed when in Chicago.

1  Thank dmbotz
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have Broadway in Chicago season tickets and will no longer attend any performances at this theatre. The attendants are rude and unhelpful with over inflated sense of power and control. Their constant harangue of the people sitting in the nosebleed section behind me (No photos!! No changing seats!) make me feel as though I am part of a royal banquet and there is a crowd of peasants milling at the castle door. I know the main floor and dress circle patrons are not treated this rudely, as defined by tone of voice and volume. The architecture is lovely but that only amuses for the first visit. Customer service inspires me to return to a location or, in this case, not.
The good Orchestra level seating is reserved for American Express cardholders (no seating improvement despite repeated BIC series ticket purchases) and the dress circle level is directly in front of the speaker system resulting in music that often drowns out the voice of the singers. All-in-all I've yet to feel the warmth of welcome of a recurring patron. Apparently, I am not the clientele this venue is seeking which leaves me only slightly baffled as I've not attended a sold out show in years. I find this telling as the pre-Broadway performances are regularly held at this venue.

2  Thank Trippymarge
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to the world premier of Big Fish...WOW...outstanding performance, set fantastic, bring tissues! I forgot and they were definitely in order. This show covers the gamut of emotions. The theater itself is spectacular. A cant miss!