“Big Fish”
Review of Oriental Theatre

Oriental Theatre
Ranked #52 of 680 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 17 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including the Cadillac Palace Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Oriental Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Don't miss this production before it leaves for Broadway!! I laughed and I cried during this production. I wanted it to go on for another hour. Also, the venue is beautiful--can't be missed when in Chicago.

1  Thank dmbotz

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have Broadway in Chicago season tickets and will no longer attend any performances at this theatre. The attendants are rude and unhelpful with over inflated sense of power and control. Their constant harangue of the people sitting in the nosebleed section behind me (No photos!! No changing seats!) make me feel as though I am part of a royal banquet and there is a crowd of peasants milling at the castle door. I know the main floor and dress circle patrons are not treated this rudely, as defined by tone of voice and volume. The architecture is lovely but that only amuses for the first visit. Customer service inspires me to return to a location or, in this case, not.
The good Orchestra level seating is reserved for American Express cardholders (no seating improvement despite repeated BIC series ticket purchases) and the dress circle level is directly in front of the speaker system resulting in music that often drowns out the voice of the singers. All-in-all I've yet to feel the warmth of welcome of a recurring patron. Apparently, I am not the clientele this venue is seeking which leaves me only slightly baffled as I've not attended a sold out show in years. I find this telling as the pre-Broadway performances are regularly held at this venue.

2  Thank Trippymarge
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to the world premier of Big Fish...WOW...outstanding performance, set fantastic, bring tissues! I forgot and they were definitely in order. This show covers the gamut of emotions. The theater itself is spectacular. A cant miss!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I recently attended the opening of the Broadway Play, BIG FISH. Loved the play and the theatre was amazing. Its ornate interior was worth the price of admission alone. Dolphans with elephant heads? How neat. Nerxt time we're in town we'll check their schedule.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We did the historic theater tour on April 6, then returned to see "Big Fish" that night. The theater is absolutely stunning. It is just breathtaking. The walls and ceilings are incredibly intricate and gorgeous. It was wonderful to have the time to linger and really soak in the beauty of this space.
We had seats in the dress circle for the show. The view was pretty good, even though the balcony does hang down a little bit. When we sat down there was a graphic on stage that was partially obscured by the balcony, but the sight lines once the show started were fine. If we return to the theater we would probably choose orchestra level seats.

1  Thank ElizabethB143

Been to Oriental Theatre? Share your experiences!