“Walk around while inside”
Review of Oriental Theatre

Oriental Theatre
Ranked #48 of 649 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Broadway In Chicago was created in July 2000 and over the past 17 years has grown to be one of the largest commercial touring homes in the country. A Nederlander Presentation, Broadway In Chicago lights up the Chicago Theater District entertaining up to 1.7 million people annually in five theatres. Broadway In Chicago presents a full range of entertainment, including musicals and plays, on the stages of five of the finest theatres in Chicago's Loop including The PrivateBank Theatre, Oriental Theatre, Cadillac Palace Theatre, and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University and just off the Magnificent Mile, the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Walk around while inside”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Oriental interior decor is fabulous. Walk around the various lobby areas so as not to miss anything.

Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

It is a beautiful place inside. Make sure to look up and enjoy the restoration of the Oriental Theatre. We saw "Wicked" there.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Staff and policies are horrible. Avoid this theater. Read on for specifics.”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The staff and the policies at the oriental theater are horrible. Absolutely horrible. To a one, they are rude and go out of their way to make sure you have the worst time possible.

Avoid this theater at all costs until they change their policies and their rude staff. I don't care if your favorite show is playing there. If you're a tourist, GO TO ANOTHER THEATER while you're in chicago.

Here are some specifics. This specifically refers to my experience at the Rain concert on Thursday June 29, but the staff and policies are the same for other concerts.

1) If you even take out your phone they will confiscate it. They will not be nice about it and politely tell you to just turn it off like every other theater, airplane and every other location known to man. THEY WILL CONFISCATE IT. Go ahead, look at their rules or call them. They'll admit to it. And they will not give it back till after the show. I am not kidding. And their excuse? Oh they have some signs posted on the door. Yeah, the door that everyone is ushered quickly through to get into the theater. God forbid you forget to read the rulebook posted there. Listen, nobody likes a bunch of people using their phones. So don't feed me that line. Other theaters do it right. MOVIE theaters do it right. Airplanes do it right. You guys do it wrong. Bottom line.

I would like to add here that my phone was NOT confiscated. I am writing here because of the atrocious behavior I saw around me.

2) There was a large white bald man in a suit harassing people near me. He was constantly up in people's faces and pointing his finger in their faces.

3) There was a female usher in the aisle three, white with black hair, constantly harassing people. She would stalk up and down the rows CONSTANTLY, making sure everyone was obeying her every whim. She was possibly the rudest and most horrible woman I've ever encountered. Not a bit of kindness in her. She was mean to the kids, mean to the parents, mean to everyone. Went out of her way to make sure people who paid $75 a piece had a horrible time.

4) If you're not there EXACTLY on time, they will not let you in. This policy is beyond stupid. Why? Because once you've crossed the magical barrier once, you can exit all you want to go to the bathroom or get refreshments. Luckily, I got there in time, but god forbid if you are even one minute late. No refunds, and I heard them blatantly making fun of people who didn't get in. Oh, and before you feed me the "oh but we we have to help you find your seat" line, NOBODY helps you find your seat. At least they didn't for us. But then again I had the horrible witch lady in my isle so other experiences may vary. She offered no help and blatantly ignored us when we came in. She was too busy harassing other people.

Again I reiterate that none of worst things here happened to me. I am writing this on behalf of the people I saw whose night was ruined. I felt so sorry for them.

You, the staff of the Oriental Theater, should be ashamed of yourselves.

You, the owners and operators of the Oriental Theater, need a wake up lesson. And I intend to give it to you in the form of bad reviews wherever I can. Don't like it? Offer PROOF ON YOUR SITE that you have changed your policies and an apology to the people whose night you ruined, and I'll gladly delete them.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Jeff M
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Wonderfully restored.”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

One of Chicago's beautiful theaters, you feel like you are somewhere special when you attend a performance here.

Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing, if indeterminant style”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Strikingly weird, yet interesting "oriental" fusion of someone's idea of art themes from Egypt, maybe Japan(?), Mayan, and India, melded together with an Art-Deco verve. Crazy, but a fun venue

Visited September 2011