“Perfect home away from home but with better breakfasts!”

Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I came to Chicago with my twin teenaged girls for the ALA conference and selected Ray's based on the reviews here. I was not disappointed! We stayed in the large and wonderful DaVinci Room. First of all Bucktown is a great part of Chicago to be in, nice streets, shops and restaurants. Ray has an impeccable eye for staff; they were all lovely, efficient, and helpful. Breakfasts were divine and the highlight of our stay. Because they were so large and yummy and cooked to order we could save our pennies for a sumptuous dinner out every day. I felt like I was staying in a long lost family member's house. The art and funkiness, the old cranky kitty, the homey decor - it all worked. Best of all the room was equipped with lovely touches that really anticipated our every need - a huge tub with jets, lots of counter and table space, enough room for bags and hangers, fun and interesting books all around, and the beds were comfy! Go to Ray's but save room for me!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 30, 2013

A baseball adventure with my 16 yo son to multiple cities and MLB ballparks landed us in Chicago. After staying at two regular motels with the double queen beds and generic breakfast buffet we wanted something unique and interesting. A bed and breakfast in Chicago did the trick. When my kid saw the outside of the old fashion house he thought what did my dad get me into? But the inside was amazing by his own admission. The place was just cool. It was full of art and photos and contemporary tid-bits. We had the skylight room which was up some twisty stairs, much different than the regular old room 362 with the coffee pot and desk. Lets just say if you are traveling with a teenager this is a hip place to be.
As far as the location! super. Close to the subway (or rail system) We were able to get on the train to the ballpark and return home no problem.
As far as the breakfast it was great. A menu with specials! everything was made to order. Real good food. I had the Green eggs and ham! My son had the best Pancakes he ever had! The staff was so friendly I felt like I lived there for a few years already. At first breakfast was quiet, eating with strangers was something my kid and I didn't do on a regular basis. But once the ice broke we were talking with everyone. Young couple on trips to Chicago for various reasons. We shared stories and had a great breakfast.
As for Ray! He was the best. from the time I called to make a reservation to the time we left he was dynomite. Super freindly, super accomodating, and just an all round nice guy.
In conclusion, the staff was great, the owner was cool, and the entire experience was "The Best"
Thank you Ray and staff!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I would highly recommend this unique place. Each room, with its furniture and fixtures, is different (i.e. my bathroom had double shower heads on either end of the soaking tub). There are also interesting collections of art and objects to look at all over the house.

The owner and staff are very helpful, know the area well, and go out of their way to help you find places and feel comfortable. It is easy to print tickets and maps that you might need from their computer. There is a notebook in each room with listings and descriptions of the services, amenities and restaurants in the area (organized by the main, nearby streets). Everything is very well organized, and check-in and check-out are quick. Ray and staff even helped with the luggage and the laundry, keeping things moving at all times.

The cooked to order breakfasts are excellent. There is something different each morning, as well as a standard menu, including fresh fruit and fresh-squeezed orange juice. One can sit in the sunny, well equipped and decorated kitchen where all the action is, or in the dining room. They even place the newspaper on the table every day.

The area seemed very safe for parking, even though I used the garage (which came with use of the garage door opener). Ray volunteered to drive my car around to the front when I checked out. There are buses on the major streets surrounding the neighborhood, that run every ten to twenty-five minutes, that can be tracked using a smartphone (worthwhile to spend the time figuring out because parking in Chicago is very expensive, and driving can be daunting), so that you know exactly how long you have to wait for the next bus. Bring change because the buses are great. The Red and Blue lines are the el lines that serve the general area. It is fairly easy to take a bus on Fullerton to the Blue line el, which goes within walking distance of Navy Pier as well as into downtown.

We also walked around the immediate neighborhood, which has tree lined streets, attractive brick residences, a large church, and schools. The residential setting gives one an opportunity to experience Chicago outside of the more typical tourist attractions.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ray’s is a great B&B. It is located in the quaint Bucktown suburb in northwest Chicago. It is fun to just causally stroll through the neighborhood. It is easy to access from I-94. Downtown Chicago is only 10 minutes away by train from a station about 8 blocks away. There is free street parking. The service by Sarah and her staff was excellent. All the staff was very friendly. You actually can order an excellent hardy breakfast from a menu or have the tasty special of the morning. Snacks are always available during the day. The house is very eclectic. Ray has a collection of art pieces that are interesting and fun to view. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable. My wife and I would definitely stay at Ray’s again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald O
Reviewed May 19, 2013

So happy that we stayed at Ray's! Ray and his staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. They made us feel right at home. The B&B is in a great location - lots to do but also close to downtown. Wish we could've stayed longer!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Cardinal Room. Super quiet. Great deal. Bathroom across the hall wasn't a problem...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilovemaps247
Reviewed May 13, 2013

In a quiet, leafy but happening suburb of Chicago there are plenty of places on the doorstep for eating and drinking (Piece Brewery and The Map Room for starters!). Ray's eclectic B&B is a mix of top-quality B&B with student casualness (and we are 20+ years past our student days). Nothing is too much bother for Ray or his young, friendly staff. Breakfast could last all day as everyone sits round chatting and sharing experiences – and it's a breakfast that will set you up for the day, freshly cooked to order. Close to the El for trips Downtown, and many buses for tips to Wicker Park and the like; anything needing a car can be arranged with Ray who will give you a lift if time permits. Can't recommend highly enough!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice P
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I were in Chicago for a wedding and we were considering a priceline booked hotel but were really pleased to find the reasonably priced Cardinal room at Ray's. I was a little concerned about the detached bathroom because I am pregnant and get up at all hours of the night, but, as others have mentioned in their reviews, it was not a big deal.

You know how at hotels, you might stand at the front desk for a few minutes before someone acknowledges you? Or you pick up the phone and wait and wait and wait until someone picks up and then you have to wait some more for someone to bring you extra towels or whatever you requested?

This is non-existant at Ray's. Everyone there will cheerfully drop whatever they are doing to help you out. There was a problem with our bed. Ray was at his desk doing something and he popped up and fixed the problem. I asked a woman who was in the middle of cleaning rooms and laundering sheets where I could find more toilet paper. She's like oh let me get it for you. Ray saw me about to do laundry and he says let me show you the machines and soap and stuff. Like my title says, it is like staying at an awesome and thoughtful friend's house.

Room Tip: The wing/floor where the Cardinal Room is located has 2 other rooms nearby. I know there were other...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple