“Like staying at an awesome friend's house”

Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Like staying at an awesome friend's house”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I were in Chicago for a wedding and we were considering a priceline booked hotel but were really pleased to find the reasonably priced Cardinal room at Ray's. I was a little concerned about the detached bathroom because I am pregnant and get up at all hours of the night, but, as others have mentioned in their reviews, it was not a big deal.

You know how at hotels, you might stand at the front desk for a few minutes before someone acknowledges you? Or you pick up the phone and wait and wait and wait until someone picks up and then you have to wait some more for someone to bring you extra towels or whatever you requested?

This is non-existant at Ray's. Everyone there will cheerfully drop whatever they are doing to help you out. There was a problem with our bed. Ray was at his desk doing something and he popped up and fixed the problem. I asked a woman who was in the middle of cleaning rooms and laundering sheets where I could find more toilet paper. She's like oh let me get it for you. Ray saw me about to do laundry and he says let me show you the machines and soap and stuff. Like my title says, it is like staying at an awesome and thoughtful friend's house.

Room Tip: The wing/floor where the Cardinal Room is located has 2 other rooms nearby. I know there were other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spec80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ray's is a quaint, out of the way B & B in Bucktown. Easy walking distance to El and bus. Everyone made us feel welcome and late check ins were no big deal. Sunny couches to relax and read, great food and coffee-an excellent deal.

Room Tip: The Cardinal Room was quiet. And the private bathroom across the hall was no big deal.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I really don't. I don't like going places where I don't know anyone or feel welcome. Which is why I love Ray's, & have stayed twice & would stay again anytime. The moment you walk in, you're family. Ray, Sarah & staff can't do enough for you--if you need a couple of extra towels, you don't get a smirk, you get "sure!" Want to know a closeby middle-east restaurant? Just ask.

The rooms are cozy (if a little unorthodox), the common areas are welcoming & interesting, and as you've read the breakfasts are beyond belief. Want a little more bacon? An extra egg? Just ask.

Ray's is located in north central Chicago just a couple of blocks from Damen avenue. They have a garage which can store 2 cars if you don't want to leave your car on the (pretty safe & quiet) street.

Room Tip: Cats vs non-cats areas.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank milesfan
IOWA
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Spent a couple of night's here with my daughter over her spring break - hotels downtown were 350-400 dollars per night so we branched outside for a change. This is in a great location in Bucktown/Wicker Park cloase to restaurants and shops (check out Quimby's bookstore). Train and restaurants are within walking distance. There is free parking (on street or in garage), and an amazing cooked to order breakfast (omlettes, pancakes, french toast, and all the fixings). My daughter had Nutella-banana stuffed French toast one day. There was coffee and tea available, along with bottled water all day if you wanted it.

The staff (which included Ray) were friendly and accomodating. The room was ready when we arrived in the early afternoon, the beds comfotable, and the bathroom complete with good towels and a heated tile floor.

We will definitely return on our next trip to Chicago-beats the large, impersonal, expensive downtown hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KAC-S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went for a work trip, but will return for pleasure. Twice our taxi didn't show us, so Ray gave 4 of us a ride to our work meeting. Wow! How nice was that? Plus the breakfast was cooked to order from a large menu. I had the fluffiest frittata I've ever eaten. Generous portions, amenities, and people. Wish I had had more time to spend at Ray's, and less time working. Next trip I'll go for fun, use Ray's sauna and steam shower, enjoy more of the architecture and restaurants of the Bucktown neighborhood, and make Ray's my center for loving Chicago!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Woodpecker room. Cozy -- perfect for one person. Lovely bathtub, too. The bed...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Comfy beds, all the luxuries of home, awesome food (vegan, too), great location. This is our first choice when we go back to Chicago. My lady loved it too. So awesome that we sometimes just skipped an activity on our trip to hang out in our room and relax.

Room Tip: Book way (as in, several months) in advance. Warn them of dietary preferences ahead of time and the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Live in the 'burbs, had to get somewhere really early and was afraid bad weather would make me late. Didn't want to stay in the Loop and was concerned about a clean and quiet place. At the last minute I called Ray and he set me up with the Woodpecker room. I got in late but had directions on how to get in and found an envelope with more information waiting for me. The room was charming, CLEAN and welcoming. Couldn't hear a sound from anyone else and loved the toasty bathroom floor and the big comfy bed. Modern enough for comfort but unique and homey for charm. Had to leave too early to meet my host or enjoy the breakfast but did get a send off from Maggy the Cat. Totally enjoyed my brief stay and plan on trying for another, lengthier one. As advertised or better!

Room Tip: Woodpecker was small but for one person, perfect. Or two people who weren't planning on sitting...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
the_renaissance_man, Manager at Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We regret that Maggie was the only one you got to meet, our humans are much better conversationalists. Glad you enjoyed your room, the heated bathroom floors are always a nice surprise in the winter. Come back soon so we can give you the full experience!