“The spell that never fails”

Supernatural Chicago
Ranked #51 of 181 Concerts & Shows in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Now in its ninth straight year! Experience true stories of Chicago's paranormal past -- including ghosts, curses, and ESP -- brought to life through audience-involving demonstrations of the magical and the psychic. This interactive and creepily funny one-man show is hosted by Neil Tobin, Necromancer every Friday night in one of the city's most haunted locations, Castle nightclub. Educational and unforgettable fun! Group rates and private seatings are available.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was bowled over at Supernatural Chicago. I am a 'magic geek' and have seen effescts large and small, some done with elan, and some just done. Neil Tobin is a stellar representative of the ancient and arcane arts. The show and Neil are engaging, thought-provoking, laced with bon mots and 'whaadyaknows' about Chicago and Excalibur history. It is easy to be seduced by the way Neil creates a otherwordly environment, and the legerdemain is seamless. Bravo, bravo and I need to go again. - Lisa A

1  Thank LisaAlvarado1956
There are newer reviews for Supernatural Chicago

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Saw this in 2012. My friend and I were excited to see this; we were looking for a fun, probably a little cheesy, show. Plus majority of reviews were positive and the fact you got free drinks was a bonus. Unfortunately we were very disappointed, even with the two free drinks in us. The magic was a little weak and the stories were not very scary or funny. Sorry, but I'd say pass on this show.

1  Thank KSUVoge
Necr0mancer, Owner at Supernatural Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

A lot can change in a year. Live performances evolve over time, so maybe the show we're doing this week would connect with you better than the performance you saw last year. At any rate, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show as much as others have. Wishing you the best.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Neil Tobin is disarmingly laid-back & personable, putting his audience at ease to laugh with him and just have a great time with this Chicago lore. He will also blow your mind with his magic. You might not notice his magic, because he seamlessly makes you believe you are inside the ghost stories and that the ghosts are doing it all. I don't know about ghosts, but honestly, I have no idea how any mortal person could do what I witnessed! See the show & decide for yourself - it's a really fun & different night out!

1  Thank DeborahC208
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Neil Tobin is a wonderful magician. If you're a person with a vivid imagination, he's great fun and helps bring a group of strangers (or "audience", as they say in show business) together to laugh and have some good fun. He encourages his audience to show up after a few drinks, which I'm completely down with. His stage presence is really playful, and i'm sure even the drunkest skeptic would find amusement in his act.

2  Thank Larry G

Wow, Larry G., thanks so much! Believe me, there are some shows in which the "drunken skeptics," as you call them, come out in full force. And that's not a problem. The goal of the show isn't to convert anybody into a Believer; it's to send everybody home (regardless of belief system) with a little more knowledge about Chicago's paranormal history and an overall experience that's fun, interactive, and inexplicable. I'm so glad you could join us. Keep on spreading the word!

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I saw the show in 2012. I liked that this purchase came with a free drink or 2 but I felt like I was just at a cheap magic show. I was expecting to hear "REAL" ghost stories surrounding the Chicago area just like the ghost tours I did in New Orleans. Instead, I got a David Copperfield wannabe who did some lame magic tricks for 5 year olds and said that the ghosts in the room made them happen.

The audience members were all adults when I went as it was in a bar. I wanted actual supposed facts and real ghost stories that have happened with pictures if possible. The actual facts and stories about ghosts that were told took no more than 5 percent of the time compared to 95 percent of the show that was all lame children's magic tricks. Something is wrong here. Figure out your target market buddy!

2  Thank roadtrip-warrior1
Necr0mancer, Owner at Supernatural Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

I'm sorry the show didn't connect with you. People come to Supernatural Chicago with a vast range of preconceptions, and clearly the interactive magic and psychic aspects weren't part of yours; the performance is a roughly 50/50 split between documented Chicago paranormal stories and interactive demonstrations, but I can see how it might feel like the balance was different based on what you had been hoping for. Nonetheless, thank you for calling attention to my target market. Those who come to the show expecting to be scared, or who are not interested in interactive theatre, are clearly not the target. Happily, Supernatural Chicago seems to be connecting with its guests more often than not, as shown by the more than 100 incredibly positive responses comprising an overwhelming majority of reviews on Tripadvisor.