“Strange Jazz” 2 of 5 bubbles

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Strange Jazz”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

After reading reviews on various websites and looking for a jazz club in Chicago, we decided to visit Underground Wonder Bar. On one website I found a password so you did not have to pay cover. Thank goodness for that. We went into the bar and sat at very uncomfortable, unstable table. The band played very eclectic jazz...not what we were expecting. We did stay for one band's set, but then decided to leave. The drinks were a little pricey for such a dive joint. I wish we would have just went to Andy's.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Glenda912

Toledo, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“double excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Love this place, Lonnie Walker and her band along with all the regulars, WOW! They are so talented and entertaining- we were there on Mardi Gras, it was more March than November of 2011 but can't date back that far on Trip advisor. Anyway, we went twice that week and the Tuesday was super because other artists showed up to jam, then on Friday it was a totally different vibe but still amazing!

Visited November 2011
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Go FUNK yourself!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Wow....what a cool place to go on a Friday night! My wife and I got here right about 10:30 pm just as the first band was closing their set. Sorry we missed them. Sat at the bar, had a few drinks and waited for the headliner- Lonnie Walker and the Kick BUTT Company Band! I understand that Lonnie owns the place and her sons are bartenders and/or play in the band. Either way, our much anyone with Dreds plays music there.

The service is friendly. Lonnie passes out simple hand instruments to the customers and invites them to play. Pretty cool concept, if you ask me. My wife had been here before, she lived here a few years back. She mentioned that thinks get funkier as the night went on....LMFAO, she was right! The people watching here is among the best Ive seen anywhere! Never seen and old,drunk, blind guy sleep while standing up - both at the bar AND over the toilet...yes, I'm sure he was alive...(It's ok, I'm a Paramedic) hahaha.

The band jammed for a good hour, nonstop and never really took a break. Each musician got their turn at solos, which blew us away. It was great to see cool original music for a change. This was exactly how I wanted to end a great night in Chicago.

Tips:

Don't go before 11:00 pm. No one there, unless you want to secure a table seat.

Cover charge, $10

Macallan 12 on the rocks, $15

Grey Goose with Cranberry, $10

Walking in on an old, drunk guy using the toilet while sleeping AND standing up.....PRICELESS!

Tucson, Arizona
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 388 helpful votes
“Chicago Music Scene at its Absolute Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

I took three Japanese friends on a Tuesday night to hear Lonnie Walker solo and a jam session afterwards in her new location at 710 Clark. What a blast we had. The cover charge was $8 per person which was added to our bill so I did not have to pay cash. Drinks were very reasonable and they had a really full bar list making my guests happy. But oh my, can this woman sing. We were able to get seats very close to the front, and afterwards she came by and introduced herself to my guests. What an impression that made. But then the music jam started, and excitement again filled the air. Guests muscians kept appearing, a trombone here a trumpet there, backed by a bass guitar, a piano, and an incredible drummer and a solo singer. Just unbelievable. Do visit this place later rather than earlier if you want to have it filled. Go earlier if you want to be sure of a seat, but there are lots of seats now. Lonnie Walker rocks and so does her place, jazz, rock, folk, funk, all done up to put a big smile on your face.

Visited February 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not worth the cover charge.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

The music was not good. Maybe it was the genre of the music but it wasn't for me. I was so bored that my wife and I started playing tic tac toe with the crayons they have on each table (didn't quite understand that one). Cover charge was $8 and it wasn't worth it.

4 Thank Kp1080