“Great architecture boat tour”

Wendella Sightseeing Boats
Boston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great architecture boat tour”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

There are so many beautiful buildings in Chicago. Go on a boat tour down the river with unobstructed views for photography while the tour guide gives you the history behind the buildings and architects.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pearland, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Must do!”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was our first trip to Chicago and once we saw the river we decided we definitely wanted to do a boat tour. We did the 90 tour that includes the river and the lake. The beginning portion of the tour takes you down the river to look at the architecture of the city. Our guide was very informative about the history of the buildings. We then went through the lock (which was a neat experience) and went out onto Lake Michigan. Fabulous views!! We definition recommend this if you are in Chicago and want to learn more about the city or get some great pictures. Would recommend that you go on a weekday if possible. We saw the boats on the weekend and they were PACKED! We went on a Monday and there were a lot less crowds to deal with!

2 Thank tmccuistion
HOWE
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Awesome 90 minutes”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

For only 25 dollars per person you got river architectural and a short lake tour after going trough river lock. I like to browse new sights on my own, however boarding Wendella boat was a great decision. Jean (or Jeniffer, I guess) was very knowledgeable. She kept us entertained for all hour and half. Wendella should be proud to have employees like her. Thanks to her, my wife and I enjoyed the tour very much. It is well worth money spent.

Aurora, Illinois
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Perfect way to see Chicago with out of town guests”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I was hosting a family reunion in Chicago, with family from all over the country, and needed an activity that would suit ages 5-80. This was PERFECT! After researching the different cruises offered in Chicago (Wendella, Chicago Architecture Foundation -CAF, Shoreline), I decided to choose Wendella. Though, not without fretting that I wasn't choosing to spend much more on the CAF tour thinking it would possibly be so much better. (CAF tour was $32/person, with no discounts for kids or seniors. Wendella I found a promo code online for 20% off that made adults $20, seniors $18.40 and kids $9.60....MUCH cheaper!). I can't imagine how this Wendella 75 minute river architecture tour could have been any better! Our tour guide Alexandra was very informative and interesting to listen to the entire trip. We chose to do just the river tour, because we didn't want to spend a half hour in the locks to see the lake, too. On the river tour, you still go up to the locks and can see the lake and Navy Pier, so that was good. Everyone in my family said they loved it and thought it was the perfect way to see most of Chicago in a short amount of time. I do recommend getting there 30 minutes early so you can get a spot on the top of the boat. You wouldn't be able to see as much if you ended up on the bottom, and if we had gotten there only 15-20 minutes before it left, the line was MUCH longer to get on the boat. The best seats are the bench seats on the left side of the boat or the chairs in the center, because the tour guide always refers to buildings on the right. If on the right, you have to turn around constantly to see. I would not hesitate to do this again. After all of my worrying that cheaper might mean not as good, I'm so glad I didn't spend more money to go on a different boat. This was great!

4 Thank HappyMomof3kids
chicago, illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great boat tour without the high price...”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We live in the suburbs of Chicago and decided to be tourists for the day and take an Architectural Boat Tour . We originally went to buy tickets at a competitors boat tour but they were sold out for the day (this was at 11:30 in the morning). Across the bridge was the Wendella Boats. We walked across the bridge and were able to purchase tickets for their next tour. It made us nervous that we were able to get on the tour right away and the cost was $7.00 less per ticket than the competitors but we had nothing to be nervous about, both my Husband and I enjoyed the tour and the boat very much. We had no complaints!

The tour was 90min same as the competitors. The docent was very knowledgeable, the crew was very friendly. They also had drinks and snacks for sale on the lower deck. We loved the fact that we toured the buildings along the Chicago River but also entered Lake Michigan and toured along the skyline from the Adler Planaterium to the John Hancock. The weather was beautiful the ride was great with beautiful picture opportunities.

I would recommend this tour and for a good price to boot!

2 Thank zabler