“Enjoyable & Good Value, except.....”

Wendella Sightseeing Boats
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We took the river & lake cruise to see a bit of both and it was much as expected from reading other reviews. Only problem we had was with my wife's walking disability. There are a lot of stone steps to get up & down to the ticket office and river boats, which took her quite a while to negotiate. I don't know how wheelchairs manage.

1  Thank chrisolum
WendellaBoatsChicago, General Manager at Wendella Sightseeing Boats, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hello Chrisolum. Thank you for the nice review of the tour. We understand the difficult our wheelchair guests have on the stairs. Starting this year, we began operating the Wendella Dock at Trump Tower. This dock has a fully ADA compliant ramp for vessel boarding.

There are newer reviews for Wendella Sightseeing Boats

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had done the architectural boat tour before with the more expensive boats with the real "architecture experts". This time we didn't really want to spend over $50 a person, so we bought tickets for the Wendella Architectural Boat tour and it was actually way better than the more expensive tour. Great narration, really engaging trip guide. Overall a very pleasant experience.

2  Thank Fonduelady
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the architecture tour which cost $26.50. The guide was informative and the boat was comfortable. There was plenty of space to move around as it wasn't very full. There's a bar on board although we didn't use it.

1  Thank Alison18
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We took a Lake - Fireworks tour one Saturday night. It did a small river cruise before heading through the lock and out to the lake. The view of the fireworks with the City Lights behind them is spectacular. It's a 2 hour tour - they had a full bar. The boat is uncovered up top but enclosed below.

If you have the opportunity to take this tour - I'd highly recommend it. Make sure your camera is ready to go !

1  Thank Cobbikaze
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

It was awesome to see the city at night and good value at $28 (I did the CAF cruise too and thought it was a bit pricey given the docent is a volunteer). There were only a few kids on board (around 10 yrs old I'd guess) and I don't think its really suited to kids- certainly not for little ones as its 8.30-10.30pm. Its a 2 hour narrated cruise mostly about Chicago history and the fireworks is only a small part of the night (they were great).

It was quite a party atmosphere with lots of adult groups, drinking and even a large bunch of very rowdy, young slightly drunk folks (they were well behaved). A really good fun and visually spectacular night. Kids would need to go down below (its chilly on deck) and need some other entertainment for some of the time I believe. After the fireworks the cruise heads back in from the lake and goes up the river and back for another 45 minutes or so.

My only suggestion would be for the tour guide to take some breaks so guests can talk to each other. Seeing the same buildings I saw on the CAF tour but at night was fantastic and I am so glad I did both tours.