“Great for novice to Pakistani cuisine - gotta try Chicken charga”
Review of Sabri Nihari

Sabri Nihari
Ranked #751 of 9,602 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rogers Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Great for novice to Pakistani cuisine - gotta try Chicken charga”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

In exploring Chicago's ethnic cuisines, we were unsure of where to start on Devon Avenue, with its multiple blocks of South Asian restaurants, markets, clothing, and other shops. We asked Pakistani co-workers for recommendations They said Sabri Nihari is THE place to go and try Pakistani food, saying that the only down-side of this restaurant is that it is usually packed. Nice decor. Staff are graciously helpful and attentive, taking the time to explain what some of the ingredients are, although the place was full of late-night diners, even on one of the coldest nights of the year. Chicken charga was dazzling, a classier version of Buffalo chicken wings - coated, deep-fried whole chicken, covered in a hot vinegary sauce.. order 35min ahead, arrives whole and wrapped in aluminum foil with a knife sticking out... best eaten immediately! Beef nehari was amazingly tender and its velvety sauce was a symphony of flavors. Vegetarian samosas had excellent flakiness. Frontier chicken had the right level of spice to make it exciting but not overwhelming. Faluda dessert was just right for a cool finish. Very generous portions and so we took home enough leftovers for another meal. Street parking is not too hard to find within a few blocks.

• Visited January 2014

• Arabic first
Katy, Texas
“Omg! Definitely lives up to its expectations!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Visiting from Houston, I of course had to try Sabri nihari in Chicago! So I went on a Saturday night because I wanted to go on a busy night. We'll, busy it was! But, our server was very friendly and checked on us often throughout the dibner but not aggressively. I was VERY pleased with the customer service considering my poor experiences in desi establishments back home. But anyway, the food. the FOOOOD! oh my god. I can not even begin to describe the food. But I'll try. Delicious, delectable, fresh, tasty, spicy, mouth watering, and the list goes on! We ordered an array of things, nihari, butter chicken, chicken karahi, biriyani, and mixed grill platter. When the food came out within 10 minutes of ordering I was like oh no... It's gonna be gross, that's just way too fast... But, it was the Complete oopposite. It was yummmmmy!!! I wish I could go again but my trip is almost over... But I'll definitely be back! highly recommend!

• Visited December 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Sabri Nihari – The taste of real Pakistani Food!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

WOW! This place was so busy on a Saturday night. We were on road trip to Chicago, so when there we went to Sabri Nihari as we been seeing a lot of adds on one of the Pakistani Cable channel. The place was ramp packed but the person said give them 15 minutes and they made a table arrangement for about 16 people… which was great and it wasn’t too tight either. The menu was huge and lot of choice…a tip don’t go with the pics as the pics show you small quantities and because of that we order more and the quantities of the dishes was a lot! Now the quality all the dishes were nicely cooked and tasted amazing… we had Sabri Nihari (a given!), halem and bunch of there kabab/tikka plates. The Kababs and bootes were cooked nicely and weren’t burned and they were tender as well.

Price wise it was not too expensive and not too cheap but all in all try it… its worth the visit!

Tip: make sure you tell them the spice level of it would be too spicy!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bilal S
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“Best Indian Food In Town!!!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

What a wonderful experience. Special shout out to LaLa (hope I spelt it right). We ordered the Chicken Biryani, Pasanda Kabab, Malai Chicken and Chicken Makhani. Delightful. Each bite was better the last. I would highly recommend this place if you want to experience great Indian food.

• Visited December 2013
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Quality of food & service.”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I tried second time this restaurant in Chicago,IL.Their food is terrible ( both taste wise & quality wise as we'll).They have a number of waiters & you do not know who is taking care of you!!
A number of them serve you & you have tell each one of them if you need something.
We had ordered Chicken tikka & seekh kabob. Tikka was burnt & was looking like a burnt piece
of coal.Amazingly ,it was cold from inside.It was pointed out to a waiter who just listened & walked
away.Again a second person was told about our problem who after awhile brought a replacement
which too was cold from inside.

• Visited November 2013