“Lively Bar Scene ... We Ordered Out!”
Review of Bub City

Bub City
Reserve with OpenTable
Bub City is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 9,544 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: CTA #22 Bus at Clark and Hubbard St Close to CTA Brown/Purple Line stop at Merchandise Mart Close to CTA Red Line stop at Grand and State St
Description: Bub City is Chicago's destination for barbecue, whiskey and live country music and is open for lunch, dinner, weekend brunch and late night dining. The Southern spot offers more than 125 different whiskeys from well-known and independent distilleries throughout the country, a build-your-own Bloody Mary bar on the weekends and live country music every day of the week.
Crete, Illinois, United States
“Lively Bar Scene ... We Ordered Out!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere was very lively; however, we wee ordering out anyhow. One of the managers, Brad, along with a cashier were very friendly and accommodating. We tried the "burnt ends", pulled bbq sandwich, and the "giddy up fries", all of which were delicious. The sandwiches also came with tasty cole slaw. For those who enjoy a lively bar, along with good tasting food, this is your spot. Though we enjoyed the food, it was just a tad pricey for the setting. We will use Bub City as a togo location or visit when less busy.

Benton, Arkansas
“Ladies - beware of the restroom!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This place is like a big city bar-b-que place with a laid back country atmosphere (as much as you can have downtown in a big city). We heard that the bar-b-que was great, but we did not try it. We only had the chicken bites in what was suppose to be a hot wing sauce, but we both agreed that it was just a wing sauce with little flavor and very little heat. The lady bartender was much more attentive to all the men at the bar than the few women sitting there.

I went to look for the women's restroom and was freaked out! Literally, you have to go downstairs into what looks like a dungeon with tons of graffiti on all the walls. I open the women's restroom door and was scared to death. I was scared already from the dark dungeon walls, but then there is a man standing inside the door that looks scary. I posted a pic with this review. I didn't know if it was real, so I ran back up the stairs to get my boyfriend to go back down with me and stand outside the door. It probably would have been funny if I had been wasted drunk, but I wasn't. And, I am sure it would scare any child or young girl wanting to go to the restroom. Nothing at the place impressed me to go back. And, that is a bummer because I'm a country girl that loves casual country bars, but this one did not have anything that I would want to see again.

• Visited February 2014
Sarnia, Canada
“The only country bar in Chicago!!!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The only country bar in Chicago...and it didn't disappoint!!! Had a great time and the music was perfect...load enough to dance but low enough to actually hear the person you are talking to. For being so busy, we never once waited for a beer...great job by the serving staff!!!

Visited February 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Barbecue; Better Drinks”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Took a friend and business acquaintance here for lunch on a Monday. The atmosphere is laid back, casual with a country appeal. Service was above par and reasonably priced.

We ordered the fried pickles for an appetizer - a must. They're crispy and surprisingly light, and the dipping sauce rocked. I ordered the shredded beef sandwich with tots (again, crisp and tasty). They also have a surprisingly decent corned beef sandwich.

VEGETARIANS - THIS PLACE IS TOUGH. You'll have a rough time finding something other than a custom salad or mac-n-cheese (it IS a barbecue joint, after all). Overall, I'd definitely return.

• Visited December 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Fun Bar - Great Food”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stopped in on two separate occasions while visiting over Christmas break. We were not aware of the place, but a local at another establishment suggested we stop in. The first time was only for a drink and found seats at the smaller bar. The second time, we sat at the bigger bar on the left and had dinner. I have to say we have a very good BBQ place in Detroit, but the pulled pork at Bub's just might be as good if not better. The staff was friendly and we loved the atmosphere. First "Country" bar that I've been to in Chicago! The music is a bit loud, but I guess it's just part of the experience. There was a live band set up, but we were told that they wouldn't start untl 9:30 - 10:00 p.m., which surprised us since this was a Sunday night - but maybe that's just my age talking. Definitely a must visit!!

• Visited December 2013