“Excellent Service, Excellent Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #52 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Charleston, Illinois
“Excellent Service, Excellent Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

This hotel is on Michigan Avenue at the Chicago River. A Comfort Suites with a Doorman - yes - at this hotel. The staff really did make us feel like they wanted to help us.

The parking was confusing - for valet you need to go around the corner to the Hard Rock. We found that odd, but then the Doorman came and assisted with luggage. The staff seems to work together with ease.

The rooms were much larger than anything I've previously stayed in while in Chicago - full kitchen was nice.

Overall, great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
We are very grateful for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and witnessed our staff members commitment to providing great service. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

A big thank you to Rachel Earls, Sales Manager at Comfort Suites on 320 N Michigan Avenue for arranging the rooms for my family's stay in Chicago.

I was in Chicago this past March when I personally met with Rachel. At that time, I personally checked out 5 different hotels to house my family vacation from August 18 - 22. Once Rachel showed me the rooms, I knew that I was home. The location is prime. It is in the middle of everything. Exit the hotel walking left (north on Michigan Avenue), and you are a one-minute walk from the Chicago River and close to great shopping and incredibly beautiful architecture, and a short walk to River North and the Gold Coast. Exit the hotel walking right (south on Michigan Avenue) and you are close to Millenium Park and Grant Park. Two must sees for visitors to Chicago and lots to do for the kiddies.

The rooms are spacious. They have everything that a family could need. A safety deposit box, an ironing board, a washer and dryer, stove, microwave, two sinks, refrigerator, and probably one of the most comfortable beds that you will ever sleep in.

Before I came to Chicago, I had trouble falling asleep; a condition that I had since January. Comfort Suites and its amazingly comfortable beds changed all that. If I could put that in pill form, it would sell like hotcakes.

The free breakfast served daily was also great. It is somewhere between continental and hot, with the perfect balance. Typically, there was an omelette or egg medallion, and bacon or sausage. Biscuits, a waffle station, maple syrup, fruit yogurt (peach and strawberry), hot coffee, assorted danishes, various personal sized cereals, orange juice, milk (2% and skimmed), and more goodies. Maria - the person responsible for stocking the breakfast - worked very hard during my entire stay and I insisted on helping her. She was polite and explained that it was not necessary. Maria always had a smile.

The staff at Comfort Suites were very friendly. The reception staff, and I apologize if I leave anybody out, were outstanding. Myrna was full of spunk and life - a real firecracker. Stephanie was very personable and always offered advice on where to go and what to do with a smile. Sara (my mother's personal favorite) was always cheerful and also referred us to some great foodie spots in downtown Chicago.

The cleaning staff at Comfort were also particularly awesome. What struck me the most is how at a certain time in the morning, like clockwork, the cleaning staff would line up by the elevators waiting to ascend to their various floors in the hotel (there are 26 floors). The awesome part is how the staff would step aside and insist on letting the hotel guests get on board while they wait for the next available elevator. To me, this demonstrates how Comfort puts customers first.

I highly recommend Comfort Suites to anyone looking to be in the heart of Chicago and close to everything. Chicago is a walkable city so bring your "comfort" shoes. I am telling all my friends about my experience. Once you walk into the larger than average rooms, you will feel like you have come home. Once your head hits the pillow as you rest from your long day of seeing the city, a sense of "comfort" will overtake your body and you will smile as you drift off to a peaceful night's sleep. You will wake up refreshed, ready for a hearty breakfast, and be ready to do it all over again.

Comfort Suites - you have my heart. Thank you for reminding me what a restful sleep feels like. I will definitely be calling you when I return to Chicago in the future.

Kudos to all the staff at Comfort. Especially, Rachel, Patrick (thank you for heading to Walgreens to find that "thing" for my disabled brother), Maria, Myrna, Sara, and Stephanie. See you all soon. Thank you so, so very much for teaching your staff how to treat people. Not to mention any names, but I have stayed at some of the top notch hotels and I found the staff to be fake. I did not get that feeling at Comfort Suites.

Places to Eat:

For deep dish pizza, you have to try Lou Malnati. The closest location to the hotel is 439 North Wells Street. Giordano's - another popular pizza place - is very close to the hotel, but it has stuffed pizza, not deep dish. People - they are not the same. Trust someone who has eaten lots of pizza in Chicago.

For amazing, but a little pricey, Spanish tapas, check out Mercat a La Planxa located at 638 South Michigan Avenue. I got a buzz from taste buds sensory overload. One of the new chefs - his name escapes me - was recently featured on the food network. I highly recommend this place. But make sure you see the menu before you take a large group. It can be costly.

For popcorn, you have to try Garrett Gourmet Popcorn located throughout the city. Try the Chicago Style mix - warning: your fingers will turn orange/yellow since this particular mix consists of cheese and caramel popcorn. Typically, it is a 50/50 split, but you can request a different ratio to your liking.

Second City in Chicago - you will save money if you book your tickets to Second City over the telephone and pick them up at the box office. Ordering online will set you back $4.50 per ticket, as opposed to ordering over the phone which will cost you $3 per order...not per ticket. Huge savings to buy drinks with.

John R. from Toronto

3 Thank TravelHoBoi
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Wow, I cannot thank you enough for your kind comments regarding our staff. I am very happy that you were impressed with our level of service and am especially proud of the service you received from Rachel. It is always great to hear when a guest is satisfied and we are thrilled you got some rest and enjoyed our location. We would love to welcome you back, please contact Rachel or I to arrange your next visit.
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

We recently traveled to Chicago to catch both a White Sox and Cubs game staying at the Comfort Suites on Michigan Avenue. First, it is in the perfect location walking distance from the Magnificent Mile to the north and the Art Institute to the south plus only a couple blocks from the Lake Subway station. The hotel is just a half block from the river. The hotel was great! Each room is like a small one-bedroom apartment with a small kitchen and a washer and dryer. As others have stated, the elevators can be very slow during the mornings and evenings. We took the opportunity to walk off some pizza by using the stairs. The staff was very friendly and helpful especially Sara and Gus. They gave us restaurant tips and told us to get a 3-day subway pass at the local Walgreen's store which is only a few doors away from the hotel. Don't be fooled when initially see the hotel--what it lacks in lobby space it makes up for in other ways. The hot breakfast in the morning was good and handy. When you do stay there, get a room from the 20th floor up and if you want a full view of the river (Wrigley and Tribune buildings) ask for the northeast side. We will definately stay there again, it was nice and a great deal..

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
On behalf of our staff, thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I was happy to read you experienced our dedication to providing great guest services first hand, I was also pleased that you enjoyed our Michigan Avenue location and view. We look forward to hosting you again.
Westville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We just returned from a stay @ the Comfort Suites on Michigan Ave. We had a great room facing Michigan Ave. The rooms are very oversized. We had 2 queen beds, a fully functional kitchen (stove/oven, dishwasher & refrigerator & microwave) with a breakfast bar, 3 large closets (one had to be 12 feet long). The free breakfast was very nice & as many people who visit Chicago know that not much is free in the city. The staff in the breakfast area were busy making sure everything was clean & just right. There is no big beautiful lobby @ this hotel but they do provide a very safe & clean facility. There is no pool but I have to admit we didn't need it. We were so exhausted seeing the city we were to tired to swim.
The location of the hotel is excellent. It is next to the river. Within walking distance to all city attractions. The Navy pier free trolley stop is 2 blocks away. It was a 15 min walk to Navy pier (we like to walk) & 10 minutes to Macy's on State (old Marshall Fields).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you were satisfied with our amenities and loved our convenient city center location. We look forward to your next visit.
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful stay the last weekend in June. Great location on Michigan Ave. The staff was overly helpful and kind - I sat in the lobby for 40 minutes waiting for my husband to return from a meeting elsewhere, and I was asked on numerous occasions if I needed anything and if I was comfortable, since the staff knew I was waiting. They went above and beyond what was expected!
The room was spacious and very clean. We weren't disturbed by any noise - it was very quiet.
We would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so glad you had an excellent stay and that our staff was so accommodating while you were with us. We hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again. Thank you for your business and for your review.
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We went for a 4 day weekend in Chigago. Took the train in. Hotel was central to everything. Great desk staff- very welcoming. Room was clean and a suite is nice with microwave and fridge and counter. Yurned out the were filming Transformewrs 3 right around the block so that was fun to watch a battle scene. And Bumblebee and Optimus Prime were parked right under our window! We would stay here again for sure given its location, cleanliness and size of room. Oh yeah-- breakfast too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
We enjoyed having you as our guest and are thrilled you enjoyed the Transformers filming. There are always exciting things happening on Michigan Avenue and we hope you stay with us again and witness the future unique moments in Chicago.
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

Just returned from a 6 dat stay at Comfort Suites. First of all, this hotel is in the perfect location. It is just minutes walk to Millennium Park, transportation, Mag. mile, shops, restaurants, etc. The room was a good size suite with a separate bedroom and living area with pullout couch and kitchen. The beds (even the pull-out) were comfortable with great bedding. The bathroom is a bit small, and it would be great if there was a make-up mirror or something provided for the desk so we could get ready while others are showering. But, overall the room was wonderful and even had great views of the river and all the action of the city.

One of the best selling points for this hotel was the employees. In the 6 days we were there everyone we interacted with was so kind and helpful and just plain friendly! When we needed help with a broken toilet, it was fixed by the time we returned from dinner. When we needed a cork screw the staff literally went to 4 different grocery/convenience stores trying to find us one. We need another blanket - it was there in 3 minutes. Every time we needed assistance with anything someone was there to help and they went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed. The front door was held open for us each time we came and left with a huge smile and funny comment or greeting. We truly felt like we were coming "home" after a day and evening out exploring.

So - the only thing they could do to improve is perhaps stock the kitchens a bit better. There was really nothing available if you really wanted to cook in the kitchens. Not even a corkscrew, as I mentioned! And we were quite disappointed there wasn't a real coffee maker, only a small one cup at a time thing. They do provide coffee downstairs, but it wasn't quite up to our Seattle standards, so we would have loved to make our own pot. There were only a few glasses, dishes. Pretty sparse - which was okay for us as we really wanted to dine out for this trip.

I highly recommend this hotel for families! It's probably not the most romantic or fancy - but for our trip with mom and 3 adult sisters it was just perfect - and a great bargain at about $150 a night.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
I am so happy that we were able to be your home away from home while in Chicago. We are grateful for your business, review and kind comments about our downtown accommodations and staff. We hope to host you again in the future.