“Great Location but not a great hotel!”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #52 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 19, 2009

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Robert H, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop

Reviewed July 16, 2009

Reviewed July 13, 2009

Reviewed July 12, 2009

This hotel is so much nicer than expected, although I knew it would be convenient for the sight-seeing I was anticipating. The rooms were huge, there were always lots of fresh towels, it had a complete kitchen, and as a bonus, a washer and dryer close to the bathroom. The hot continental breakfast was varied enough that each morning we had something a little different, but always good. The staff was helpful and friendly, as was everybody we met in Chicago. We had a great time, and felt the hotel stay made everything just about perfect!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Robert H, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you so much for your review on the hotel. Our suites are some of the largest in city. We do offer one the best locations in the heart of Chicago. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2009

Just returned from the windy city and stayed at CS, we had the 2 bedroom suite, it was wonderful, I was pleasantly surprised. In the back bedroom there was a bathroom & the front bedroom you also had a bathroom but was not connected to the room. Full kitchen with microwave, fridge/freezer, diswasher, island, dishes, silverware, stove and the list goes on. Island to eat at, pull out full size bed. Out the front of the room you could see Michigan Ave, not far from the water tower. Walgreens on the corner if you should need something & souvenir shops everywhere. Bus drop off/pick up at corner. Great location, very resonable. Stephanie at the desk was wonderful, if she didn't know the answer she would find it until she did. Will defintely return & stay there! The only negative was the breakfast, sausage was rock hard & had to wait to use waffle iron & then ran out of batter :(.....explain that to kids. Had to also wait on eggs & once they came out they were gone again....they also need to clean the windows in the room, a little messy. Very pleased!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2009

Stayed here on a Travelzoo deal and during the Taste of Chicago. We came from MI City on the South Shore Train as to save on parking fees, which the station is about 23 blocks away. The el train system is also very close 2-4 blocks to several stations. Very good location for our use. 1 block from the river, our room had river views out 2 sets of windows. Also a good view of the new Trump Tower and the intesection of Michigan Ave and Wacker. The room was about as big as you get in Chicago, with new stuff in all the right places, 2 TVs and a washer and dryer.. No frills but very nice and not up tight. Only complants was the tv in the bedroom only got 13 channels, but whos watching tv in the bedroom in downtown Chicago anyways, and also 1 of the 2 elevators didnt work for the first 36 hrs we were there, causing a wait sometimes. Would stay and recommend for the average person not looking for 5 star service but wanting a 4 star room.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2009

I traveled with my husband and baby to Chicago for a fun getaway. I chose this hotel because of the great price I found through Travelzoo and the fact that they have a free breakfast. I read a few reviews about this hotel, but since it was so new, there weren't many at the time. We rode the train (which I would recommend to anyone coming into Chicago if you have that choice. Driving and parking in Chicago is crazy and expensive!! The train was so easy, inexpensive, and there is plenty of public transportation available!) in and actually arrived at the hotel at about one o'clock. I wasn't sure that we'd be able to check-in right then because it said online that check-in wasn't until 3. I called prior to our trip to make sure that if we couldn't check-in when we arrived at the hotel, that we could at least leave our luggage there while we walked to have lunch. They have a room where they can hold luggage if you arrive early, but to our surprise, our room was ready and we were able to check-in at one. Our room was great!!!! My husband and I thought that the building must have once been apartments and now it's been transformed into a hotel. Our room was like a little one bedroom apartment. It was so convenient having the kitchen to prepare and rinse bottles for our baby girl. Also, I didn't see this before we came, but they have pack-n'-plays that you can request for no extra charge. Unfortunately I didn't see that before we came, and we lugged our pack-n'-play all the way to Chicago. We really enjoyed the free breakfast. There was a waffle maker, danishes, fruit, coffee, juice, toast, bagels, and there was like a special each morning. We were there for two mornings and on the first morning the special was eggs and bacon, and on the second morning, there were eggs and slices of ham. While at the hotel, we did notice that our air conditioning wasn't working and we called the front desk. They sent someone up promptly and he couldn't fix the problem. They asked us if we would mind changing rooms, since we had stuff strewn about the place (bottles, pack-n'-play, stroller, suitcase, stuff in the bathroom). We didn't mind at all, and they actually were able to move us to a room on the same floor. It was another wonderful, clean, spacious room. As far as location goes for this hotel, it's in a great place. We were able to walk to Navy Pier, the Magnificent Mile, the water tours, and restaurants. We only took a cab once, and that was from the train station to the hotel. We also went across the street and bought a bus pass and rode the bus to the zoo and back. On the last day, we took the bus back to the train station. Public transportation was really easy there. I was a bit apprehensive about it, seeing as though I had never really done that (other than the Disney buses, but that doesn't really count). When we got on the bus, I just asked the driver how to use the pass and he let me know. Each bus driver we encountered was very helpful. And the hotel is in a perfect location to bus stops; they're everywhere around the hotel. The last aspect of this review that I want to comment on was the fact that I felt safe. It was very important to me that we stay somewhere that I felt safe, and in this location, I felt that way. Overall, this review is very long, but I wanted to cover each aspect that I look for when reading other reviews. I loved this hotel and have actually already recommended it and have family staying there soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family