“Excellent staff”

Ranked #51 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Albany, New York
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The friendly and helpful staff are one of the outstanding features of this hotel. Nancy and Amanda in particular were not only helpful but went above and beyond, slipping a Congratulations note under the door when our son got an award. The hotel is in a great location, convenient to all the interesting sites, shopping and restaurants in downtown Chicago. When we had trouble with the refrigerator in our room, staff promptly replaced it with another refrigerator. Our suite (queen double) was spacious and clean; there was plenty of room for the 3 of us (husband, adult son and myself.) I would recommend this hotel to travelers, and prepare for a friendly welcome from the staff!

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor facing Michigan Ave for a wonderful view of the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Daniel J, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Indeed we do have friendly and helpful staff here at the Comfort Suites Chicago. I'm glad to hear that your son got a special little recognition reward for his accomplishment.

Daniel J.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Get one of the corner rooms that overlooks Michigan Ave and you wont be disappointed with the views, large king bed, or washer/dryer in the room. It is a great location and you get much more compared to how much you will spend at a 5 star hotel...Will definitely stay here anytime i am in Chicago!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. I agree that the corner rooms have amazing views and we strive to offer the best possible customer service that we can.

Kansas
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here for business for four nights. The hospitality of the staff, every single person from front desk to housekeeping, was fantastic!! The room was incredibly large and clean with plenty of storage space. It would be very easy to stay here long term or bring a family!
The location was ideal. I went south each morning for business and north each evening for entertainment. Our room was clean, the heat worked great, nice hot water and overall excellent stop.

Room Tip: Our room surrounded the elevator shaft. We turned our heat from "auto" to "fan"...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and we welcome you back on a future stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I are local, but we stayed here with friends from out of town in order to celebrate a 50th birthday party downtown. We found the quality for the price, for a Michigan Ave hotel were unbeatable. We had a gorgeous view of the river from our windows as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The lobby is cozy and reminded me of some of the European hotels we have stayed. Our room had a kitchen and laundry which was handy for our "pre-party" group. All in all, a great weekend stay!

Room Tip: NE side corner, balcony rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank H H
Daniel J, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Delighted you enjoyed our rooms. I agree that we are cozy like many European hotels.

Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is my fifth trip to this hotel in four years. Each time I stay at least three weeks so I really get to know everyone.. The entire staff makes me feel at home. The location is perfect. Anyone wanting to use the CTA can feel at ease because the location makes it simple. The best part of this hotel is the washer and dryer in every room. If you need to stay in Chicago for more than a quick trip, this is a necessity and very difficult to find in downtown Chicago. The rooms are spacious with living space and kitchens. The hotel provides breakfast every morning and coffee 24/7. The staff is top notch. The housekeepers, maintenance and front desk are always willing to help and say hello. Working the night shift at a hotel is a tough job but David and Raul seem to handle things just fine. They are friendly and fun to talk to and seem to enjoy their jobs. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be in the middle of the action but feel like you are coming home at the end of the day.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Mari A
Daniel J, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
We are glad you have been making us your "home away from home" during your trips to Chicago. We are looking forward to your return trip with us.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very cozy hotel that provided a mini apartment feel. I’m a claustrophobic kind of guy and I really need more space than the average person. I really liked my stay here because they provided a more spacious feel for me. Although I asked about their dimensions, they seem to have the same room space as any other hotel in the metro, yet they got to make use of the space efficiently. I commend their interior designer for a job well done with the setup. I would come back again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon H
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we welcome you to come stay with us again.

Orlando, Florida, USA
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel is located on north Michigan Avenue in the heart of downtown Chicago and is great for anyone doing business or visiting for pleasure in Chicago. It is steps away from most public transportation, restaurants, shops and businesses located downtown. Our suite was more like a studio apartment on a high floor with partial views of the Chicago River and Michigan Avenue. There is a 7-11 and Walgreens on the block and CVS across the street.

The entire suite was CLEAN and had a very comfortable, CLEAN, queen-sized bed in a room separated by a half wall divider. It included two large flat-screened TVs, an executive desk with an ergonomic chair and free Wi-Fi (used extensively). The kitchen area included a small oven, refrigerator (about 10 cubic ft.), microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer combo. Our bathroom and all towels and linen were CLEAN! The dining area included two bar chairs and an approximate 5 ft. island, which proved to be very versatile for working on, eating and drinking cocktails.

I loved this hotel's green policies because we had the option of declining housekeeping and towel service every day. We also turned off all lights and powered devices whenever we left our suite. As Floridians visiting Chicago during one of its coldest winters, the heat was piping hot during our entire stay! We never wanted to leave our suite!

Other than warm (not hot) water running in the kitchen, the alarm clock not working, local call instructions on the phone being different from the correct phone instructions in the room guidebook, everything in the room worked as expected. Since I am used to washing my hands in the kitchen with hot water after handling raw foods, I did not cook although I could have walked back and forth to the bathroom to wash hands. Also, the printer in the lobby had a sign stating it was not working during the week I was there, but front desk agents could print boarding passes, etc., if necessary. I am sure that had I reported those issues, all of those minor problems would have been resolved. I did report that as soon as we entered the suite I noticed that the bathroom tissue holder was badly chipped and inventory of the dishware/glassware revealed that we had two of everything except for one medium tumbler. Nancy told me not to worry so I didn't.

Breakfast included mini packages of yogurt and cereal. A toaster was available for bread and bagels. Muffins, doughnuts, boiled eggs, pre-cooked scrambled egg patties, pork sausage links, waffle mix, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix and 2% milk were also available. The waffles should be eliminated because they are cold as soon as they are taken out of the waffle iron and won’t even melt the butter. Also, I would suggest that when kitchen staff restocks the yogurt flavors, that peach be reduced in favor of more popular flavors such as strawberry and blueberry, which were scarce. Lots of peach flavored yogurts were left over every day. If you are staying in Chicago more than a few days, I would recommend an alternative breakfast or lunch at the greasy spoon called Vista Café across the street in the 233 N. Michigan Avenue office building a/k/a Illinois Center. Vista offers a reasonably priced breakfast/lunch menu plus the best gyros.

My husband's only concern was that the actual housekeeper who cleaned our room may not have received the daily cash tips we left in the room. My husband reached this conclusion after he almost bumped into a female supervisor-type employee (white shirt) with a walkie-talkie trying to enter our room as he was exiting the room on our last day. She told him she was "…just checking…" and then she ran down the stairs before he could question her. That means other employees are allowed to access the room before the actual housekeeper (black shirt) gets there. We really need to learn how to address that concern during future hotel stays. It is our custom to leave cash tips daily for the housekeeper, who may not be the same person every day of a multiple-day hotel stay. Our suite was spotless thanks to the housekeepers who are really the unsung heroes of hotels. Maybe other travelers can suggest a solution that would address this issue of making sure the appropriate housekeeper actually receives the cash tips left in the room. Next time we will make sure to identify our room housekeepers daily so that we can put the cash directly in their hands, because I know they do not make a lot of money and probably would never complain if it turned out the housekeeping supervisors or other employees were stealing the cash tips meant for the housekeepers. We are not accusing anyone of anything but the fact that someone other than housekeepers can enter the rooms immediately after check-out aroused our suspicions.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to visit Chicago as the suites are truly a great value for the price. In general, I cannot recall meeting more friendlier and welcoming hotel employees than front desk check-in agent Terri, manager Josh and late night front desk agents David and Raul. We usually stay at other brand hotels when visiting Chicago, but now Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue Chicago is our number 1 hotel choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from elevators.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Out_All_Nite
Thank you for your kind remarks. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look into your comments.

We will be delighted to welcome you to stay with us again.