“My favorite place to stay”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #54 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is my fifth trip to this hotel in four years. Each time I stay at least three weeks so I really get to know everyone.. The entire staff makes me feel at home. The location is perfect. Anyone wanting to use the CTA can feel at ease because the location makes it simple. The best part of this hotel is the washer and dryer in every room. If you need to stay in Chicago for more than a quick trip, this is a necessity and very difficult to find in downtown Chicago. The rooms are spacious with living space and kitchens. The hotel provides breakfast every morning and coffee 24/7. The staff is top notch. The housekeepers, maintenance and front desk are always willing to help and say hello. Working the night shift at a hotel is a tough job but David and Raul seem to handle things just fine. They are friendly and fun to talk to and seem to enjoy their jobs. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be in the middle of the action but feel like you are coming home at the end of the day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Mari A
Daniel J, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

We are glad you have been making us your "home away from home" during your trips to Chicago. We are looking forward to your return trip with us.

Daniel J.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,906)

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very cozy hotel that provided a mini apartment feel. I’m a claustrophobic kind of guy and I really need more space than the average person. I really liked my stay here because they provided a more spacious feel for me. Although I asked about their dimensions, they seem to have the same room space as any other hotel in the metro, yet they got to make use of the space efficiently. I commend their interior designer for a job well done with the setup. I would come back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon H

Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we welcome you to come stay with us again.

Daniel J.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel is located on north Michigan Avenue in the heart of downtown Chicago and is great for anyone doing business or visiting for pleasure in Chicago. It is steps away from most public transportation, restaurants, shops and businesses located downtown. Our suite was more like a studio apartment on a high floor with partial views of the Chicago River and Michigan Avenue. There is a 7-11 and Walgreens on the block and CVS across the street.

The entire suite was CLEAN and had a very comfortable, CLEAN, queen-sized bed in a room separated by a half wall divider. It included two large flat-screened TVs, an executive desk with an ergonomic chair and free Wi-Fi (used extensively). The kitchen area included a small oven, refrigerator (about 10 cubic ft.), microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer combo. Our bathroom and all towels and linen were CLEAN! The dining area included two bar chairs and an approximate 5 ft. island, which proved to be very versatile for working on, eating and drinking cocktails.

I loved this hotel's green policies because we had the option of declining housekeeping and towel service every day. We also turned off all lights and powered devices whenever we left our suite. As Floridians visiting Chicago during one of its coldest winters, the heat was piping hot during our entire stay! We never wanted to leave our suite!

Other than warm (not hot) water running in the kitchen, the alarm clock not working, local call instructions on the phone being different from the correct phone instructions in the room guidebook, everything in the room worked as expected. Since I am used to washing my hands in the kitchen with hot water after handling raw foods, I did not cook although I could have walked back and forth to the bathroom to wash hands. Also, the printer in the lobby had a sign stating it was not working during the week I was there, but front desk agents could print boarding passes, etc., if necessary. I am sure that had I reported those issues, all of those minor problems would have been resolved. I did report that as soon as we entered the suite I noticed that the bathroom tissue holder was badly chipped and inventory of the dishware/glassware revealed that we had two of everything except for one medium tumbler. Nancy told me not to worry so I didn't.

Breakfast included mini packages of yogurt and cereal. A toaster was available for bread and bagels. Muffins, doughnuts, boiled eggs, pre-cooked scrambled egg patties, pork sausage links, waffle mix, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix and 2% milk were also available. The waffles should be eliminated because they are cold as soon as they are taken out of the waffle iron and won’t even melt the butter. Also, I would suggest that when kitchen staff restocks the yogurt flavors, that peach be reduced in favor of more popular flavors such as strawberry and blueberry, which were scarce. Lots of peach flavored yogurts were left over every day. If you are staying in Chicago more than a few days, I would recommend an alternative breakfast or lunch at the greasy spoon called Vista Café across the street in the 233 N. Michigan Avenue office building a/k/a Illinois Center. Vista offers a reasonably priced breakfast/lunch menu plus the best gyros.

My husband's only concern was that the actual housekeeper who cleaned our room may not have received the daily cash tips we left in the room. My husband reached this conclusion after he almost bumped into a female supervisor-type employee (white shirt) with a walkie-talkie trying to enter our room as he was exiting the room on our last day. She told him she was "…just checking…" and then she ran down the stairs before he could question her. That means other employees are allowed to access the room before the actual housekeeper (black shirt) gets there. We really need to learn how to address that concern during future hotel stays. It is our custom to leave cash tips daily for the housekeeper, who may not be the same person every day of a multiple-day hotel stay. Our suite was spotless thanks to the housekeepers who are really the unsung heroes of hotels. Maybe other travelers can suggest a solution that would address this issue of making sure the appropriate housekeeper actually receives the cash tips left in the room. Next time we will make sure to identify our room housekeepers daily so that we can put the cash directly in their hands, because I know they do not make a lot of money and probably would never complain if it turned out the housekeeping supervisors or other employees were stealing the cash tips meant for the housekeepers. We are not accusing anyone of anything but the fact that someone other than housekeepers can enter the rooms immediately after check-out aroused our suspicions.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to visit Chicago as the suites are truly a great value for the price. In general, I cannot recall meeting more friendlier and welcoming hotel employees than front desk check-in agent Terri, manager Josh and late night front desk agents David and Raul. We usually stay at other brand hotels when visiting Chicago, but now Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue Chicago is our number 1 hotel choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Out_All_Nite

Thank you for your kind remarks. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look into your comments.

We will be delighted to welcome you to stay with us again.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Older, worn hotel. Lobby not inspiring and check-in staff seemed frazzled, one of them prioritized opening a bottle of wine for a guest instead of checking me in. Had odd feeling as to some of the people coming and going so we wonder if this hotel may offer some transient housing. Since hotel is small (former apartment building perhaps), the halls are very narrow - could barely get the luggage cart in the elevator and through the hallway to our room. Two elevators for 28 floors - the larger one hardly ever opened. We think housekeeping and maintenance staff had first priority usage essentially leaving one small elevator (6 people max) for guests.

Room was spacious - living area, bedroom, kitchen, and bath but quite worn - lack of decor as well. Our bedroom also had a bent window frame (11th floor) and cold, February air blew in constantly and the living area had a ceiling crack and water stain (which appeared still wet).

Pros: location (Michigan Ave.) and it was pretty clean. Cons: pretty worn, lack of decor, some sketchy people coming & going, narrow hallways, limited elevator access. Will not stay here again. And cannot figure out how this hotel got a Tripadvisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence. Really?

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sara013
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. I apologize that you did not have a more favorable experience during your stay with us. From your comments I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction. It is our goal to exceed your expectations and it is apparent we failed in to accomplish this during your stay. If you would be open to speaking with me regarding this experience; I can be reached at the number listed below.

312.384.1208

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Would have never guessed this was a Comfort Inn... It was more like a Hyatt. The suite we had for our weekend getaway was wonderful- very spacious, very clean, and we had an awesome view!! Location was perfect too. I highly recommend this hotel and plan on staying here again!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Sciera

Thank you very much for your kind compliments. We are delighted to see that you will be back with us! We hope your next visit is just as wonderful!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

It's all true. All the reviews you've read here stand up. The place is in a great location. The rooms are large, and the staff is mostly helpful. A few tips;
- If you fly into Midway take the Orange line downtown and exit at State&Lake. Walk two blocks to Michigan Ave and you are there.
- It's tough to hail a cab on Michigan Ave. Your better off walking up or down one block and heading west to gab one.
- The breakfast layout was a little disappointing. There is a great place right across the street (next to the Blackhawks Store) that has good coffee and pastries.
- Subway and Chipotle are within walking distance.
- Giordano's pizza is close for walking to or delivery (we waiting about 90 minutes for delivery but the pizza was still hot when we got it ).

All in all a great stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank southsideslick

Thank you so much for your feedback and the great tips you included! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Windy City.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

if you are unlucky enough to stay there please do your self a favour and double check the charge on your credit card ,they charged me for the room twice ,and I called like four times ,one time they say its gonna be refunded ,the next they say we didn't receive the money the first time since i initially booked through a third party,n then they said its gonna be refunded again ,n wait for the manager ...bla bla bla , talk about extremely incompetent untrained staff, they think if they don't know the answer they should say anything and when I reach a dead end and call again I would probably be someone's else problem , that not it ...believe the next is more hilarious...I had to disbute the charge and they need to respond to the bank with in a month which they waited for most of it ,and finally when they admitted they were mistaken instead of refunding they charge they recharged me for the same amount ,they can't even press the right button ..unbelievable now im stuck with two charges for god knows how long ,my bank is trying to call them leave them messages and they don't answer, i dont know if i should call the cops or what

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mina g
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

On behalf of our entire team, I truly apologize for the billing error you experienced and I would like to ensure this issue is taken care of to your satisfaction; please contact me directly at the hotel.

312.384.1208