“Location is not everything”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #49 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Israel
“Location is not everything”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed for 8 nights, the location is grate but this is about the best thing I can say about the hotel.
here is a "short" list of the drawbacks:
The kitchen is not equipped enough,There are no means to wash dishes, there is a dishwasher but no soap or sponge to wash dishes.
No shelving in closets, just hangig and not enough hangers,
i left the room at 0730 and came back at 17:00 ,room wasnt made up yet.
poor brackfast served in disposabls , never got to sit since the barakfast room is tiny.
washing machine and dryer placed in the bedroom.
the The worst internet WIFII've ever encountered!!
no noise isolation from busy street below.
only 2 elevators at the hotel' most of the time only one was working.
at some point both elevators didnt work for 10 hours. (26 floors in the hotel)
no warm water in the shower in the mornings.
they replaced my fridge 3 times.
Toilet clogged all the time.

Room Tip: you can find much better for that price.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rothmann
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if I can assist you further.

Natalie Furka-Padgett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Townsville
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel is in the centre of downtown Chicago within easy walking distance to the bus stop for the hop-on hop-off bus tours and the Magnificent Mile shopping experience. We were able to travel to all the tourist destinations and landmarks using this bus. Our room was on an upper floor with views of the Chicago River. We were immediately impressed with the size of our apartment which included a kitchenette complete with fridge and microwave, washing machine & dryer. A free breakfast and complimentary wifi was included in the rates. The only downside for us on our three day stay was that the toilet blocked up twice and the key cards wouldn't open the room halfway through our stay. I have to say that the staff were very helpful and attended to both matters immediately and we paid a reduced rate for our inconvenience. We also received some great advice on restaurants and eateries located nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the noise of the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nan S
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for three days! I apologize for the plumbing and key card issues you experienced while you were here. The staff will be happy to see your kind words on their service recovery. When your travels bring you back to Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed at Comfort Suites for 2 nights as an extension of a business trip. After reading other reviews I chose this hotel because of the location. And what a great location! Close to many of Chicago attractions, you can easily go to the Mag Mile, The Loop, Cloud Gate and many others. As for the hotel itself, the room was very large, yet very old. Didn't have any problem, front desk was efficient. At the end of the day, it's not that value for money, however if you have just a few days to enjoy Chicago and want to be close to everything, this could be a good choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Henrique M
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location!. When your travels bring you back to Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.
Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Comfort suites was highly recommended in trip advisor, and price wasn't as exorbitant as major hotels in the city during a week with a huge international conference in town. The location is excellent - just a couple of blocks from the loop and the magnificent mile.
However, the hotel hadn't received my hotels.com booking which I had prepaid. Evidently the fax isn't working properly at the hotel. Fortunately, they had a spare room available (an upgrade, they said). The staff were very friendly and helpful, but several problems emerged: (1) no hot water on my first morning, and (2) very sporadic "free" wifi. The water issue was fixed by the second day, but the internet problem continued. I was told that the wifi system can't handle the volume when they have a full house. Very frustrating!
The rooms themselves are good, but are in need of renovation.
My biggest frustration was with the front desk staff, who assume that all their guests are back packers. I asked how to get to the famous Science and Industry Museum, and was told to take the public bus (#3 King Avenue). This was supposed to be a cheap ($2.25) and direct way to the museum. Instead it was an hour-long journey on a local bus line that detours AWAY from the museum due to road construction. I had a 30 minute walk through the University of Chicago campus and residential areas to get to the museum, only to find that it had just closed. Fortunately, a taxi was available for the return trip, which took 20 minutes and cost $20. Basic lesson: don't rely on the hotel staff for advice!
Bottom line: If you're a back packer visiting for several days and have $300+ per night to spend, this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fairdinkum_ozzie
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for very much for staying with us. I am truly sorry that we failed to provide exceptional service to you during your time with us. While I know we cannot have a second chance at a first impression, if there is a way for us to connect so I can assist you, please do not hesitate to contact me at the property.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have stayed here before and will definately come back. The views of Michigan Ave, the Chicago River and the Magnificent Mile are, well, Magnificent! In addition, Nader at the front desk make our experience superior. The level of customer service he specifically provided us with was truly outstanding. I travel extensively --this is the best!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner view rooms. The higher the better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ken P
Thank you for very much for staying with us. We are delighted you enjoyed the views! We truly appreciate you mentioning Nader’s outstanding service. He will be honored to read your kind words. When you are next in Chicago, we would be thrilled to welcome you back.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for three weeks in November. The location was great, close to everything, drugstore, restaurants, sites, shopping, etc. The staff was beyond typical: outgoing, friendly, always pleasant. When you travel for work and have long hotel stays, it's nice to walk in the door to find a friendly face with a pleasant greeting. Almost like home! Okay, maybe not quite home, but the next best thing. :) Nadir greeted me when I checked in and he couldn't have been more helpful. His colleagues were also up to the task. The issues with the TV and internet that others have mentioned was my experience as well, though I was able to spend a night watching Netflix with no problem, I couldn't stream HBOGO. Spotty wi-fi on phone and laptop. Elevators were problematic at times, too. Scratchy toilet paper, but overall, this is a very good place to stay. Loved the room, bed was very comfortable, appliances were great to have and I used them all, except for the dishwasher. I couldn't seem to get that to work, but I kept forgetting to let the front desk know, so I can't complain. Looks like I'll be back in Chicago in January and I expect to return to Comfort Suites. Thanks for making my long stay feel short!

Room Tip: There's a hospital nearby and lots of sirens day and night. The higher the better, though I dou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BusinessTravele
Thank you for very much for making us your home away from home. Nader and our staff will be thrilled to see your kind compliments. We are certainly working on our elevators and truly appreciate your patience during your time with us. When you are next in Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Excelent location, perfect service, good price and wonderful view. I have been on 19 floor, and i loved the apartment (huge with queen bed, television, desks, kitchen, wash machine, microwave and a complete infrastructure). The breakfast was delicious. The service was excelent, and special thanks to Nader on front desk. (He was very helful, friendly and help me to decide which room choose. We had planned to stay just one day, but after the first day and all this qualities, we decided stay a little more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ricardo G
Thank you for providing your feedback and for extending your time with us! Nader will be delighted to see your kind compliments. We hope to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago!