“Can't Beat It!”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #52 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for three weeks in November. The location was great, close to everything, drugstore, restaurants, sites, shopping, etc. The staff was beyond typical: outgoing, friendly, always pleasant. When you travel for work and have long hotel stays, it's nice to walk in the door to find a friendly face with a pleasant greeting. Almost like home! Okay, maybe not quite home, but the next best thing. :) Nadir greeted me when I checked in and he couldn't have been more helpful. His colleagues were also up to the task. The issues with the TV and internet that others have mentioned was my experience as well, though I was able to spend a night watching Netflix with no problem, I couldn't stream HBOGO. Spotty wi-fi on phone and laptop. Elevators were problematic at times, too. Scratchy toilet paper, but overall, this is a very good place to stay. Loved the room, bed was very comfortable, appliances were great to have and I used them all, except for the dishwasher. I couldn't seem to get that to work, but I kept forgetting to let the front desk know, so I can't complain. Looks like I'll be back in Chicago in January and I expect to return to Comfort Suites. Thanks for making my long stay feel short!

Room Tip: There's a hospital nearby and lots of sirens day and night. The higher the better, though I dou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BusinessTravele
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for very much for making us your home away from home. Nader and our staff will be thrilled to see your kind compliments. We are certainly working on our elevators and truly appreciate your patience during your time with us. When you are next in Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop

996 - 1,002 of 1,861 reviews

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Excelent location, perfect service, good price and wonderful view. I have been on 19 floor, and i loved the apartment (huge with queen bed, television, desks, kitchen, wash machine, microwave and a complete infrastructure). The breakfast was delicious. The service was excelent, and special thanks to Nader on front desk. (He was very helful, friendly and help me to decide which room choose. We had planned to stay just one day, but after the first day and all this qualities, we decided stay a little more.

1  Thank Ricardo G

Thank you for providing your feedback and for extending your time with us! Nader will be delighted to see your kind compliments. We hope to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just returned from a quick one night stay and was very pleased with the room. It is a suite, and one could stay there for an extended visit as there was a full size frig, microwave, range, toaster, washer/dryer etc. all in the 3 rooms. The bed and pillow choices were dreamy and everything was spotless. The free breakfast offered several options. What prevents me from giving the hotel a 5 star is that there is a very limited lobby area and we wish we had been informed earlier that water was to be shut off from 9:00a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to address a plumbing issue...that information was posted by the elevator and made for a earlier than normal checkout.

1  Thank elcee2

Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback! We are happy to see that you enjoyed our bedding. I truly apologize for the water interruption during your stay. We hope to welcome you back when you are next in Chicago!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This Comfort Suites is located directly on Michigan Avenue very close to the mile of shopping, the Art Museum, Millenium and Grant Parks. It is great for families with small children as there is a pull-out couch/bed. I wouldn't get up early for this breakfast, but the unit does have its own washer/dryer, stove/oven, full refrigerator, toaster, microwave, coffee maker. It is very close to where I had to work for a month so was put up at this hotel. Being a fan of the Hilton chain (and points!), I wasn't happy about being lodged here (just going to miss out on maintaining Diamond with Hilton :). A tad more upscale is preferred - having a restaurant and room service - which this hotel doesn't have and I didn't expect it to. Using the internet for email and Facebook is fine. Forget about trying to watch a show online as the speed is horrible - buffering, buffering, buffering. For six days, HBO was without sound. We each contacted the front desk over several days and was told that they weren't aware of an issue. One person said he would contact Directv and another said he would contact Dish. Really? So, now HBO is working but CBS (which I have discovered is the station of most of my programs) is completely snowy. OK, so the hotel isn't perfect in every aspect. But, the suites are big, in a great location, only five rooms per floor, each is fitted with appliances, very comfortable bed and the staff are very nice. I would like to commend Nader Rouhijahromi on the Front Desk who went out of his way to accommodate my needs on more than one occasion. Such a nice guy who couldn't do enough for me. Very much appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor as this hotel is in a very busy downtown. Sirens and traffic sounds are minimize...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pgh2LV
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for allowing us to be your ‘home away from home’ for a month. Nader will be delighted to see your kind compliments! I certainly apologize for the TV issues you experienced. It is feedback like yours that allows us to improve and ensure these issues can be resolved. We do hope to welcome you back to the Windy City!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days on business at the end of Sept.

The hotel is squeezed in amongst shops and restaurants along Michigan Ave. Don't expect a grand entrance here, it is just a revolving door and a regular door that gets you into the tiny lobby. It is on the prized real-estate of Michigan Ave so space is tight in the common areas but the rooms are quite spacious. Also, since it is Michigan Ave you are only steps from restaurants, shopping, coffee shops, Millennium Park, etc. So the location is excellent!

I had a room on the 21st floor. The floors only have about 5 rooms on them so it is very quiet. In those 6 days I don't think I ever heard anyone else coming or going. The rooms, as the name states, are suites which are quite large and very clean. They have a small-ish bathroom, a kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge, etc), living area (couch, TV, desk/chair), and bedroom (king size bed, 2nd TV, washer/dryer). It was a corner room, which all but 1 one the floor was, so there were windows on two sides which helped with the spaciousness. Since I was there for 6 days it was nice having apartment-like accommodations as apposed to the typical hotel room and even though the company was paying this was still one of the cheapest options in the area.

So the important things where there: cleanliness, room size, price, location. But where they missed were in the details:

1.Wifi was free (nice!) but it could be spotty. No chance of streaming anything and I had trouble connecting to work.
2. Light fixture in the kitchen track light did not match the other one in the track. Looked broken but it still worked.
3. Stopper in the shower/bathtub was pulled out and sitting on the ledge and that is where it stayed all week.
4. Flat screen TVs but they had terrible cable reception. Why in this day do not all places have hi-def?
5. Wallpaper could use some help in places

All these items are pretty minor but to get 5 green "bubbles" from me a couple more of these picky items need to be crossed off my list.

The front staff was very nice. I didn't have a lot of interaction with them but they always said 'welcome back' or said 'hello'. One day the housekeeper even gave up her elevator so I could go down (very nice).

I also didn't have breakfast beyond grabbing a quick muffin on the way out the door. It was nice option to have but with so many food options in Chicago I would probably opt to go elsewhere if I stayed there again or had more time.

So overall it was a great stay and I wouldn't hesitate staying here again. So as my title states they hit the important things they just missed out on the details.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank srauhala
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for spending six nights with us! We truly value the feedback you provided. We are delighted that overall, we made your stay enjoyable. We will be certain to work on those details for you so that your next stay is flawless.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Thanks for making our visit to Chicago a pleasure.A helpful staff answered questions and gave directions. Breakfast was excellent. See you next time we are in Chicago. A special thanks to Marisol Luna.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jane M

We truly appreciate your review! Marisol and the staff will be thrilled to see your kind compliments. When you are next in Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel's location is great, right on Michigan Avenue, close to bus/train and attractions. The employees were really polite and helpful for whatever we needed/asked. The room was big and clean with comfortable beds. The breakfast is the classic one you will find in most hotels, a small buffet with basic stuff; not the most tasteful but it is a plus that it is included in the price. Overall, the value for money was great. (The only thing that can be annoying is the wait time on the elevators in busy periods of the day).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us! The staff will be thrilled to see your kind compliments. When you are next in Chicago, we would be honored to welcome you back.