“Great Unbeatable Value in a Central Area”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #51 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
London, United Kingdom
“Great Unbeatable Value in a Central Area”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights over a weekend stay in Chicago. Paid $160 per night before tax. Overall, this place offered great value.

PROs:
1. Location - It is on Michigan Avenue and walking distance to both the Millenium Park and the Magnificent Mile. It is also near to a subway station. So, full marks on location.

2. Room - For what you pay, the suite is quite spacious. There's a living room with a sofa bed connected to the bedroom (no door separating the two). There's a little kitchenette too with a fridge.

3. Comfortable beds and pillows and no problem with hot water.

4. No problems with Wi-Fi too.

CONs:
1. Breakfast was ok, but can get a little crowded in the morning, so you may have to just find anywhere to sit or eat standing up as there's not much space. I don't know if this is just a weekend thing.

2. I concede this place looks a little dated and this may be important to some people. But everything was functioning and nothing was broken, so I had no problems with this.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! I was delighted to read you enjoyed our location and your experience with us. I would love to personally welcome you back when you are next in Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next reservation.

Natalie Furka-Padgett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Franklinville, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Suites over St Patricks Day weekend. The hotel is perfectly situated to view the dyeing of the river and the parade in Millenium Park. The hotel was clean and the staff was extremely helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer F
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Jennifer,

Thank you for spending your St. Patrick’s Day weekend with us! We truly appreciate your business. I was delighted to see you found our staff to be extremely helpful and that you enjoyed the location. When you are next traveling to Chicago, please do not hesitate to contact me for your next reservation.

Safe Travels!
Southern CA
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The suite I stayed in was huge. It looked and felt like an apartment. It was on a corner and had fabulous views out of each window.
The reason I gave the hotel 3 stars is because of the night manager's rudeness. I believe that a hotel experience encompasses every aspect of your stay and not just the accommodations.
He went out of his way to NOT be helpful, even though what I was inquiring about was in the hotel "book" which stated "ask any hotel desk clerk or manager who will be happy to assist you." Not only did he not assist me, he was smug, gave nothing but a "no" answer and then sat back contented that his job was done, and seemed to hope I would challenge him. Instead I just said, "that's OK I'll figure it out for myself."...
Nice hotel. Bad attitude and rudeness from night auditor = I won't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Words cannot express how truly embarrassed I am with the service you experienced. This level of service is not acceptable at our property. If there is any way you would be so kind as to contact me directly to discuss this further, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I hope to hear from you and do hope you enjoyed your time in Chicago.

Kind Regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Every winter, we like to take the train to Chicago for a theater weekend. For our March 2013 visit, I booked the Comfort Suites online with our AAA discount. The price was about $30 per night lower and 60% roomier than a nearby hotel we stayed in a year ago. Since the weather was OK, we walked the 1.4 miles from the Amtrak depot to our hotel. The front desk staff was outstanding! The young lady asked us how high up we'd like to be - we chose the 23rd floor. She then walked us over to the elevator. About 15 minutes after we arrived in our suite, she called to ask if we needed anything. It was really nice to have a living room/kitchen area with a separate bedroom with a door. We walked to an Asian fusion restaurant for dinner (recommended in an informational folder in our room) that was outstanding. Then we walked to our event at the Harris theater. (Can you tell we are cheap - we enjoy walking whenever possible!) Our suite was very clean and comfortable. I hope to visit again and stay more than one night. The breakfast room was crowded, so we brought our oatmeal/yogurt/waffles to our suite. We are willing to pay $200 per night less for a clean hotel without views of Lake Michigan.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the 23rd floor for interesting architectural views of nearby buildings. I think...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You have many choices when it comes to traveling and we value your business. I was delighted to see that you found the staff to be "outstanding". I will pass along the compliment!

I would be honored to have you with us again when you are next in Chicago. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation.

Safe Travels!
Michigan
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Comfort Suites on Michigan Ave in Chicago. We had stayed here about a year prior to this stay and LOVED the updated, spacious room and the great service. This visit was a disappointment. We qualified for early check-in due to being a Rewards member, and that was much appreciated. The room itself - a King Suite - was the size expected and had the amenties expected. We were extremely disappointed, however, to find the room in less than ideal condition. There was an odd 'closet' that was rough dry-walled shut with screws. I assume there was a furnace or something in there was it was really tacky. The actual closet door was in disrepair with some wooden slats missing and it would only stay shut if you put something in front of it. The 'boys' in our group were unimpressed that the toilet seat wouldn't stay up. It may seem like a small deal but with a small child who can't hold the seat up and use the toilet at the same time, it because annoying. There had been a major water (or toilet...) leak in the bathroom and the trim on the vanity, etc. was grossly stained and was previously water logged. I don't ask much for hotels but I DO ask that they be CLEAN. I just felt gross the entire stay here. The other issue we had, in regards to service, was that when we came back from a long day out and got back to our room on the 24th floor, our key cards were no longer active. Because we had checked in early we started to worry that they had someone checked us back out and we were concerned about the whereabouts of our belongings. We trekked all the way back to the lobby with two tired children. The guy at the desk couldn't tell us why the cards (both of them, kept in seperately in my purse and my husband's pocket) no longer worked. He acted like it wasn't a big deal, didn't really even apologize. Aside from the inconvenience of it, it was stressful not knowing if our stuff would still be in the room. Thankfully it was. All in all, we do not know if we will stay here again. We had such a positive experience the first time and had even recommended this hotel to several friends. Now after this experence I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and I don't know that I would be real eager to stay again either. We go to Chicago often, but there are plenty of other hotels.

Room Tip: Our King Suite on the 24th floor had a nice, corner view with two walls of windows. Views of the Wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Crazy4Pack
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with us. It’s feedback like yours that allows us to improve. I am truly sorry your second experience was disappointing. If there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me as your business is truly valuable to me. When you are next coming to Chicago, I will work to ensure your third visit with us is flawless.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I arrived at the hotel with a LARGE load of supplies for a family pre-game party I was hosting the next day b4 the Hockey City Classic - I was met by a guest services agent (unfortunately, I can't remember his name - good looking young man) who helped bring my things to the hotel and put them away in my suite. When I noticed my fridge wasn't working, Oscar S. came up within 5 minutes-determined it needed to be replaced and when I returned an hour later, the new fridge was in place, cold and he put my stuff in the fridge for me. Oscar was also a great help when I left taking my stuff to the car and loading my car for me.

Room Tip: I was disappointed I didn't get a balcony, but was told the corner Queen Suites are the largest...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank simo6290
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. I will pass along the compliments to the staff, especially Oscar, as I was delighted to see you found him to be helpful and quick to repair your refrigerator.

Natalie
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were here 2 years ago, and raved to our friends about the huge room and amenities. How things have changed! I guess the large rooms are on the Michigan Ave side of the building - our suite was about 1/2 the size of the first one we stayed in. While I realize that not all rooms can be the same, the difference was [obviously] substantial. So...the couch needed a good cleaning, had no support and was uncomfortable, the cheap less-than-Walmart-quality "floor" lamp was wobbly needed to be tightened - and so did the luggage rack which swayed about 8 inches from side to side. Needless to say, we didn't trust sitting our luggage on it. The toilet needed to be flushed at least twice per use, and the handle was cracked. The shower weak, at best, and the water temperature fluctuated. The screen on the TV in the "main" room would intermittently lose the signal or momentarily freeze. Check in and check out was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger suites on the Michigan Avenue/front side of the building!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear that your experience during this second visit was disappointing. As a valued guest, I know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling and I value your business. I do apologize that your experience was not to the standards of our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love to ensure your next experience is flawless.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,