“Great Service”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #54 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I arrived at the hotel with a LARGE load of supplies for a family pre-game party I was hosting the next day b4 the Hockey City Classic - I was met by a guest services agent (unfortunately, I can't remember his name - good looking young man) who helped bring my things to the hotel and put them away in my suite. When I noticed my fridge wasn't working, Oscar S. came up within 5 minutes-determined it needed to be replaced and when I returned an hour later, the new fridge was in place, cold and he put my stuff in the fridge for me. Oscar was also a great help when I left taking my stuff to the car and loading my car for me.

Room Tip: I was disappointed I didn't get a balcony, but was told the corner Queen Suites are the largest...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank simo6290
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Hello,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. I will pass along the compliments to the staff, especially Oscar, as I was delighted to see you found him to be helpful and quick to repair your refrigerator.

I would be honored to have you with us again when you are next in Chicago. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next reservation.

Safe Travels,
Natalie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,906)

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were here 2 years ago, and raved to our friends about the huge room and amenities. How things have changed! I guess the large rooms are on the Michigan Ave side of the building - our suite was about 1/2 the size of the first one we stayed in. While I realize that not all rooms can be the same, the difference was [obviously] substantial. So...the couch needed a good cleaning, had no support and was uncomfortable, the cheap less-than-Walmart-quality "floor" lamp was wobbly needed to be tightened - and so did the luggage rack which swayed about 8 inches from side to side. Needless to say, we didn't trust sitting our luggage on it. The toilet needed to be flushed at least twice per use, and the handle was cracked. The shower weak, at best, and the water temperature fluctuated. The screen on the TV in the "main" room would intermittently lose the signal or momentarily freeze. Check in and check out was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger suites on the Michigan Avenue/front side of the building!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Natalie F, General Manager at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hello,

I am truly sorry to hear that your experience during this second visit was disappointing. As a valued guest, I know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling and I value your business. I do apologize that your experience was not to the standards of our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love to ensure your next experience is flawless.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Natalie

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Not sure why this place is so highly rated on TripAdvisor.

Pros:

* Large room with spacious living room
* Kitchen with plates, glasses, and utensils
* In-room safe
* Helpful friendly staff
* Continental breakfast included with lots of variety
* Nice desk chair
* In-room washer/dryer
* Two TV's in my room

Cons:

* Old spring mattress of poor quality. I've stayed in lots of hotels worldwide. I would say 80% of the time I've had a better mattress.
* Freezer doesn't freeze. The reason I booked this hotel was because I saw pictures online of the refrigerator/freezer in the suite. I came to Chicago to have a surgery, so I brought my reusable blue ice pack. I put the ice pack in when I arrived, and the next morning I noticed it wasn't very cold. I turned the temp dial to max, and put a cup of water in the freezer. It never froze. Luckily for me, my doctor had a gentle touch, and I never needed my ice pack. But if I had needed it, I think I would have been a little upset. If the freezer doesn't freeze, then by definition, it's not a freezer. The hotel does have an ice machine on the first floor, but it's more convenient if you have an actual freezer in your room, especially when you've paid for it.
* Sloppy unsecured Internet from Ethostream. So many hotels flunk on this one. It's not just Comfort Suites. Why can't they get it right? It's the 21st century. Travelers need reliable internet and many of them, myself included, have to log in to various sites, and therefore want a secure connection. Give it to your guests.
* Two burners on stove didn't fit into their receptacles.
* I added one more day to my stay after I booked and I had to go downstairs the last morning to check-out and check back in (kept my luggage in my room), even though I was staying in the same room. I noticed they gave me 2 new keycards. Nevertheless, later that afternoon the keycards didn't work.

Overall, it was good value, and I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RisingSun96815
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your recent business and review. I am pleased you enjoyed our large rooms and friendly staff. I appreciate your feedback and will work with our team to ensure these issues are corrected.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Husband and I stayed here just 2 weeks after staying at another hotel 1/2 block away. This hotel blew the other away: only $86 per night for an extremely clean, super big (3x the size of a normal hotel room), corner room with fabulous views. We had a living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Only "negatives": bathroom was on the small size and the comforter looked like it needed a really good cleaning. The bed and pillows were very comfy!

We will definitely stay here again when in Chicago!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your business and review. I am so happy that we blew the other hotel away and that your enjoyed our excellent service, spacious rooms and great value. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I can't say enough about how amazing our time was at this hotel. I spent the weekend in Chicago with my girlfriend and we we blown away by the gorgeous, spacious room with amazing views. It was great coming back from a busy day to such a comfortable and relaxing room. We wanted to stay longer! The staff was also extremely friendly and helpful. As we walked out of the hotel one of the workers even ran out in front of us and flagged down a cab for us. As we were checking out we asked how to get to Soldier Field and she printed out mapquest directions for us. We used valet parking and the were also very friendly and professional. The only problem we had was finding the valet when we fist got there. I would recommend calling the hotel beforehand and they can give you instructions. The location of this hotel couldn't have been better. The room was fantastic. The views were incredible. And the staff was very pleasant. I highly recommend this hotel for a trip to downtown Chicago if you want to be near Navy Pier, Millennium Park, and the Magnificent Mile.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. We stayed on the 22nd
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am thrilled you loved your experience at our hotel and our comfortable rooms, excellent staff and unbeatable views. Thanks for staying with us and please contact me directly when you are ready to return.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Excellent staff, very helpful, friendly and warm.first room stayed cold but was moved to a better warmer room with a great view.upgraded the next day room had a grand view, but Jacuzzi tub did,nt work and shower head was cloggy.was disappointed about those but the overall experience and view kinda made up for it, (a little).room had stove, fridge, and microwave which was nice because eating downtown usually leaves leftovers that needs to be heated.hotel is very nice a competetive as the price is nice, would,ve had 5 stars if the Jacuzzi and shower head delivered.

• Stayed: February 2013
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased you found us to be a great hotel. Next time contact me directly so I can secure your arrangements.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

she did a excellent job cleaning my room.great place great location front desk is always friendly and the staff are not afraid to laugh with you.the kitchen is the best part of the rooms. its like a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your business and for sharing your experience. I am thrilled Jenni and the rest of our team take such wonderful care of you. Please contact me directly to secure your arrangements when you are ready to return!