“And another thing ... classy clientele”

Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop
Ranked #50 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Carbondale, Illinois
“And another thing ... classy clientele”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is my go-to spot for business travel because never disappoints. I agree with the raves of other reviewers and during a recent stay noticed another thing: the clientele help make this hotel is a nice place to stay. Given that this is completely beyond our control, that's something worth mentioning.

The Comfort Suites attracts savvy European vacationers, the occasional traveling arts troupe and fellow practical business travelers. A nice mix. Why is this? Maybe when a well-situated hotel does not have room service, it screens out the high-maintenance types. Whatever the cause, the nice folks I run into in the elevator is another reason why I keep booking Comfort Suites for business travel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for your continued business and for allowing us to be your choice for business lodging in Chicago. We are so grateful for your review and please feel free to contact me when booking your return trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is a mixed bag of really, really good features, and some less than ideal features. Would I stay here again? Yes with my family, no if it were just me or me and my husband. Starting with the good... the room is HUGE. We have 2 queen size beds in a very spacious room. It has a small kitchenette complete with refrigerator, small stove, dishwasher, microwave, and dishes/glassware. There's a small breakfast bar with counter stools. And get this... You get a stacked washer and dryer. Yes, you read that right. The decor is fine. I thought the beds were okay... a little bouncy when my husband or I turned over, but I slept well. Our view was nice... Could see the Chicago River very well. Great location and very friendly staff. Oh, and free wi fi was great, especially since all 4 of us are obsessively connected to the Internet.

What could possibly be wrong, you might ask. Well, it's an old hotel with some less than ideal physical features. Ceilings seem a little low, especially in the bathroom, and it still has a popcorn ceiling. The bathroom, while divided nicely between the vanity and tub/toilet room, is tiny. Although the vanity is nicely appointed with granite and a nice light fixture, it's small. One person, max. The tub/shower is basic, at best. Clean, but just a plain white acrylic surround with no place to hang washcloths. The tub is odd... the bottom of it is slightly rounded, so your feet are never completely flat against the tub floor. If I were to make one suggestion to the company, it would be to rip those tub/showers out and start over. The breakfast was okay, but the juice machine was broken when we were there and there was no other provision of juice.

So great for families (with slight caveat about the bathroom size) and fabulous location, but not so great if you're looking for a luxuriously appointed hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am glad overall you were pleased with our hotel and features. We have various room types to chose from so please contact me directly next time to learn about our executive suites!
Cypress, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed at this location this past week. Everything that I could possible ask for was provided for me by the very friendly staff. I had at least a dozen requests and each time they were met but I wanted to write a quick note to point how friendly, nice and courteous I thought one person was at the front desk was and her name is Emily. From giving suggestions on where to dine to helping me a late check out and preparing me for my next stay EVERY TIME I dealt with Emily she was fun and friendly. I wish that was the case at every hotel, but it is not and so when I encounter someone who does such a wonderful jobI take a moment to point it out. Great job Emily keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Room 2102 had a great view.
1 Thank KaiDupe
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and for your kind comments. I am so pleased Emily exceeded your expectations and was helpful. Please come visit us again!
UK
Reviewed August 31, 2012

As other have noted this hotel is in an excellent location and has very large rooms, the washer dryer is a real bonus if you are away from home for more than a couple of days.

The staff were very helpful and friendly.

I have to say that although the furnishings and fittings could not be described as luxurious, in my opinion the hotel is great value and the positives of space and location outweigh any 'style' issues.

I would certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our unbeatable location and oversized suites. Come see us again!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My family and I recently booked a suite here for a three-day weekend. We weren't too sure whether we had wanted to go to Chicago for a trip, or not. At the last minute, my family and I decided it was a yes. Given only one day before actually leaving for Chicago, I booked a suite at Comfort Suites. To my surprise, Comfort Suites is located in the middle of downtown! I loved that part! The room had a kitchen, too! The elevators were fast, so it didn't take forever for us to reach the 23rd floor. (The view from the 23rd floor was absolutely beautiful.) Complimentary breakfast was okay. There weren't too many options to choose from, but I'm happy with complimentary breakfast than not having a breakfast at all.

As for the cons, the internet was down on our first night staying there, and there were quite a few complaints that the internet had been down for almost the whole day, when my family and I checked in. The lobby was a little dirty when my family and I checked in, but it may have been caused by the traffic coming in and out throughout the whole day. Other than that, everything else was wonderful.

I probably would book this hotel again, if I were to visit Chicago again. The location, price I booked our suite for, and the service was very nice.

Room Tip: 23rd floor has a beautiful view of downtown Chicago.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
I am so pleased you selected our hotel to host your last minute trip to Chicago, how fun! I am happy you enjoyed our location and room features. I thank you for the feedback regarding the internet, we are in the process of some upgrades so the next time you see us, it will be very quick. Thank you!
Mississippi
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been to Chicago a dozen times in the past few years and would have never thought of booking this hotel. Thanks to a booking by a group requesting a presentation, I was placed there (on a Saturday) and will go back on my own in the future. This is a very tall building with a very unassuming lobby due to its narrow footprint. There are 5 rooms on each floor, but the rooms are quite well appointed with kitchenettes, living area and separate bedroom (lcd TVs in living area and BR). There is a closet in the bedroom with a washer and dryer. The bath area is relatively small, but adequate. There are plenty of windows, so the higher you are, the better the view of Michigan Avenuie and the lake or a northview of downtown. The Staff was friendly. This is a comfortable, well-placed hotel. It's not a luxury venue, but you are not paying that sort of rate. Well worth a look if you want to be near Millenium Park, the Art Institute and the restaurants and shopping on Michigan Avenue.

1 Thank southernwriter
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I am so glad you will come visit us again and that you were pleased with your accomodations, views and staff. Please contact me when booking your next stay. Thank you!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Unusal for a hotel room to have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. Did not need either, but did like having a livingroom and two flat screened TV's. Interesting, only four rooms per floor. Excellent location. We were on 25th. floor, and had an excellent view. Typical comfort suites breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
patrickwalshkennedy, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Michigan Avenue / Loop, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay. I was pleased to learned your enjoyed our friendly staff and stunning views. Please visit us again!