“good value”

Holiday Jones
Norwich, United Kingdom
“good value”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Basic but very clean dormitory-style hotel.Single occupancy rooms are available but limited.Breakfast is included and is good value.Subway direct to O'Hare Airport and only 2 mins from hotel-downtown 10-15 mins away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at Holiday Jones 3 nights then was back for 1 more before leaving Chicago for good. I was travelling alone and stayed in a Lonely Wolf room, which was exactly what I needed. The room is small, but that's how it's described, so I had no surprise there; going back I also booked a Lonely Wolf but was given a much larger room which suited me as I had more luggage by then. But what makes the place is the atmosphere and the super friendly management. Smiles all-round, always available to help, answer questions, look up for directions, I mean they go out of their way; having been in many 5 star hotels on business I can say as far as service is concerned these guys are with 6. Breakfast is served downstairs with bagels, coffee/tea, jam, peanut butter and looks like there will soon be a proper italian espresso machine too, they were just installing that.
If you're looking for a funky place to stay on a budget, care about cleanliness, service and making new friends with other travellers passing by, this place is for you.

1 Thank Sergio_de_Rinaldini
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at HJ when visiting Chicago for the first time with 3 other friends. We stayed for 4 nights, and at $60.00 for a room of 4, the price couldn't be better. Location was ideal for public transit, and if you needed to take a cab it wasn't overly expensive as it wasn't too far from major attractions. Staff were very willing to help out re: directions, recommendations, and they provided extra blankets and towels when we asked. They said we could even call or text the hostel cell phone while we were out and about if we got lost.

We had a room with two sets of bunk beds, and we used the shared bathrooms (3) on our floor. It was at times a bit tricky finding a free bathroom as you are sharing with others on the floor - however, we expected this (they were also totally booked when we were there). Could always check another floor or go to the lobby to use the bathroom. Bunk beds weren't overly comfy, but did the trick. A few of us needed to ask for a second blanket as there is just a thin sheet and think blanket with one pillow provided per bed, but no big deal. A very basic breakfast is provided - bagels, cereal etc. The hostel is also conveniently located a few steps away from Starbucks which we utilized a number of times.

Overall the hostel was inexpensive, clean, smelled fresh, and was in a great location - would totally recommend & stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank kbeetham
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at Holiday Jones in September '13 so sorry for the late review lol. My bf and I are planning our next trip up to Chi town, and we are for sure staying at Holiday Jones again :-)

Firstly, this was my bf and I's first trip out of town together. So I wanted ti find a great deal on a place to stay because we are not rich lol. I also wanted to stay somewhere that was close to all the things we would be doing. Somewhere quiet and simple, yet stylish and clean. Holiday Jones was all of these things.

When we first arrived we were greated warmly by the desk clerk. He was so friendly and accomidating. There were no surprise fees at check in. It was a fast smooth process despite the fact that the hotel was still under construction. I didn't mind sharing bthrms with other guests (never stayed in a hostel before) because they were ALWAYS clean. The beds were incredibly comfy. The views of the Chicago skyline are amazing. The free breakfast can't be beat ;-)

The hostel is in a great neighborhood with lots of young familys walking around with their kids so I felt very safe in this area. There is a grocery store down the street as well as a convienience store if u need anything. Tons of great bars and resturants within walking distance.

I just can't wait to visit Holiday Jones again this coming September and see it completly finished, bcuz like i said, it was still under construction during our first visit.

My bf and I plan to make HJ our traditional place to stay for all our future Chi town visits :-) We fell in love with the place. I can't imagine staying anywhere else :-)

See you guys again soon !!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank chlsrnnrt90
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I wanna start by saying from the moment I walked in, Teal (I think that was her name) at the front desk made me feel more than welcomed. She gave me so much information and seemed interested in talking and not just "doing her job." This was my first ever experience at a hostel and I always hear the horror stories but the whole building was clean (rooms, bathroom, common areas). I stayed for two nights in a 3 bedroom female dorm and one night it was me and another girl (we actually spent the whole day touring the city together)..my last night it was just me in the room. I never had to wait for the bathroom and I never felt worried about other guest taking my things. The hostel is located in a great neighborhood and right by transit to take you to all the popular places. The only reason I am giving it 4 stars instead of five are issues that are not really huge deal; they are in the middle of making a "coffee bar/shop" in the lobby and the workers didn't care if you were asking for help or checking in, they kept drilling really loud and me and the agent had to basically yell at each other...also, when I checked out it was 4am and I needed to take a taxi since I was running a little late, it was freezing outside and the guy who came up to check me out wouldn't call me a taxi, he said it was better to go outside and hail one, which I would agree with if it wasn't so early in the morning. I waited 35 min for a taxi and finally got a number from google and called one myself. For the price, cleanliness and friendly front desk, I would stay here again and would suggest it to everyone.

1 Thank RoniAnnette
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed there in a private room. The kitchen, bathroom and other facilities were fantastic. The staff were so nice. The beds are really comfortable. The location is close to great food and shopping. All the rooms are modernly renovated and the hostel has a really cool and modern vibe but you can tell its old and has history too. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Isabat
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed there with a group of friends for 4 days/3 nights. The staff were immensely friendly and the building had a really cool vibe. Obviously, as with most hostels, the majority of the people there were young. I didn't actually meet anyone new because my friends and I filled a dorm room by ourselves and we were in Chicago most of the day, but the few people I bumped into were all friendly.

Can't beat the price. The location is also great because it's only a 10minute walk from one of the train stops, which takes you straight into downtown chicago. We had an amazing time.

I guess my only complaint would be that the room wasn't cleaned properly when we arrived -- my friend and I were both given very.. hairy looking towels, and the bathroom (read: toilet) was gross (read: some kind of explosion, non-literal), but after grabbing the cleaning lady she fixed it up for us in ten minutes which was appreciated.

Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends