“Our Favorite Chicago Neighborhood Italian Restaurant”
Review of Bacchanalia

Bacchanalia
Reserve with OpenTable
Bacchanalia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #766 of 9,839 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pilsen
Cross street: W 24th Street
Transit: CTA bus service has a Western Avenue stop at 24th Street is one block from restaurant. Also a CTA Blue Island Avenue bus at Oakley is one and a half blocks away. The CTA Pink Line El-Train exits on Western and 21st Street about 7 blocks from restaurant.
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Everytime we return to visit Chicago, we dine at this great, small, family run Italian restaurant. There isn't a poor choice on the menu. Everythng is so flavorful. Cash only dining.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

First time visiting this restaurant and was pleasantly surprised. The food was superb, prices reasonable, portions large and service great. Will go back when in Chicago again. Only downside was they do not take credit cards. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 7, 2008

Bacchanalia is unique in so many ways--I'll try to do it justice below:
ABOUT THE FOOD:
1. Sooooo good. Here are my favorites: Chicken Vesuvio (mostly a Chicago dish it's chicken with the bone-in baked with garlic (lots and lots of garlic) and wine with roasted potatoes--takes 45 minutes to make so order as soon as you sit down if you want this.

2. Chicken Lombardo or Veal Lombardo--basically Piccata but so much better

3. The french fries! Believe it or not ---order them as a side and I promise you won't be sorry. They are so good.

4. Italian Chicken--which is like broasted or fried chicken but excellent.

5. Pasta Al'Olio---I've never had it so tastly before---not very oily but VERY garlicky

6. I can't comment on many of the other dishes because we love ours so much we rarely veer from our favorites--we've had the Chicken and Shrimp Baccanalia and loved it, clams, Pasta marinara and were never disappointed.

7. The deserts and salads used to be uninspiring so we usually skip them, however, they look different these days so maybe they've upgraded.

1. Bring Cash--they do not accept credit cards
2. It is a very small restaurant --seems like "ma ma" might be in the kitchen cooking--I don't think so but that's the feel
3. Decor is kitchy Italian--not fancy, not t-shirts either (although I'm sure you can go in a t-shirt and no one would think twice.
4. They have a neighborhoody bar up front

This is our all time favorite restaurant---if you order something with garlic be prepared for a lot of it. If you don't like garlic much pick a dish that doesn't have any. Except for a few restarants in Italy no one else can compare with the flavor of Baccanalia. If you like bland go elsewhere.

side note: the area around this restaurant is iffy---It is located in the "Heart of the City" and bills itself as the original "little Italy" it is an area of a few blocks of small Italian restaurants and bakeries but don't go off the beaten path---sounds scarier than it is

1  Thank sjrbt
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 9, 2008

This very friendly, unassuming place has the best linguini and clam sauce I've ever had!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I have eaten at Bacchanalia several times over the last five years, and let me tell you: this is the best whitefish in the entire city. The ambience is not exactly high class (you're greeted by a bar full of neighborhood locals as you walk in the door), and led to the back dining room. The dining room is kind of dark, crowded with tables in a tiny space, and you feel like you're sitting with strangers at your table on a crowded night. However, the food is delicious and SOOOO worth it. My favorites appetizer is the stuffed mushrooms and the calamari. Delicious! Also, try the mostaccioli with meat gravy. Very good all around.

2  Thank MsLottiDi