“Nice”

AC Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #61 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We spent one night @ Four Points, found it to be very nice. Staff were super! My husband, daughter and myself took the train into Chicago, and spent the first few nights at my sons, in his one bedroom apartment, decided that the last night we would stay downtown so we could get to the train easier. Four Points was very nice, comfortable. We like the fact there was a indoor pool and hot tub. The hot tub was hot, which was great to help "thaw out our bones" after walking around downtown. I found a great price on hotels.com ($98 with tax). Yes I would stay here again, and I have friends that are looking to coming to Chicago soon, and I would tell them to stay here. The door men where very friendly and helpful. A hint---if you want a great view of the city go to the John Hancock building, but instead of paying to go up to the observ. deck---go to the lounge (96th floor)---have drink (beer is around $8, strawberry daquri is $12.50) you get a great view (GO AT NIGHT), plus it is less than going up to observ. deck.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank LuvMbeach
FPbSPaul, Director of Operations at AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2010

Dear LuvMbeach,
Thank you for the wonderful review of our facility and staff, as well as for the referral to your friends. I hope we see you in 2010!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed December 25, 2009

On way to visit family in IL we stopped here for a day ahead to enjoy the Christmas lights and shopping season of downtown Chicago. This hotel is but a block from Michigan Ave and all the shopping and activity of that area, close enough to walk to North to Watertown Place, and South to Macy's (former Marshall Fields, to view the amazing mosaic Tiffany in the ceiling), and catch the free Trolley to Navy Pier that loops up to both Michigan Ave and State Street before going back to the Pier.
As for the hotel itself, the service was excellent in every way, including asking about any room choices (I had prepaid for a basic room) and getting a wonderful complimentary upgrade to a jacuzzi room with balcony. Very clean, good sized king bed room, with excellent and comfortable beds. In retail shops attached, includes a Trader Joes so you can get some wonderful coffee and groceries for the in room fridge and use the coffee makers. Also within only 3 blocks of several great dining options, from Cafes to bistros to Giordano's Pizza and more.
The only negative to this area of the city is the extremely high priced parking (Toronto is about 50-60%) and cost $38.00 per night to park. Only plus side to this was you have full in/out privileges, valid until 6 pm of checkout day, and appears to be very safe, indoor parking. Also Trader Joes will validate for 90 min with a purchase, so you can stay until 7:30 pm same day if you time it right. We will be back...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBridge

Dear TravelBridge,
We really do have a wonderful location, convenient to so much downtown has to offer. Thank you for sharing with us some of the experiences you had with our staff and the property overall. We truly look forward to seeing you in the very near future.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Stayed at the Four Points with my 83 year old mother and my 21 year old daughter. Had a room with 2 dbls. and a fold out couch. The room was clean and quiet. Never heard any other guest noise, although I don't know how full they were. The location was perfect, just a block or so off Michigan Avenue, around the corner to Trader Joe's and a good breakfast place. The biggest plus for me though, was the staff. From the moment we arrived, everytime we passed by a front desk associate or the doormen or concierge, we were greeted. Either with a "have a great day ladies", or a "welcome back ladies". The staff was very helpful with any questions we had, and the doormen took time to shake hands and have a nice conversation. I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009
FPbSPaul, Director of Operations at AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2009

Dear teddysmom3,
We are thrilled to read of your experience while a guest at our hotel. This is what it's all about. On a weekly basis, I share all postings from Trip Advisor with all of our staff. Thank you again. Have a great Holiday Season.

Reviewed December 13, 2009

Our stay at the Four Points was excellent. Clean, tidy and spacious room (although it may have been too warm!!). Bathroom toiletries replenished every day. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and pleasant. Philip the concierge was a font of all knowledge. Ask him where anything was and he knew it! We will definitely stay here again. The location was just off the Mag. Mile within walking distance of shops etc.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends

Dear gypsygirlYorkshire,
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel and staff. Phillip in his own right is a "hidden gem." He's been with us since we'd opened, 5 years, and was recognized as our very first "People Pleaser of the Year" (our version of employee of the year), back in our first year of operation. Thank you again... we hope we'll see you in 2010.

Reviewed November 16, 2009

So the hotel was great, great location especially for two 22 year old girls who want to shop, party and site see. Our room was great and although there was no view at all it was very comfortable. The only problem we had was the staff. Normally I would like to avoid using names but I feel that Rachel should be mentioned. She should NOT be in the service industry! When a couple in front of us asked for a statement folio she slammed down the phone in anger and was huffing and puffing, me and my friend were actually too scared to approach her at any point to ask any questions incase she exploded in the same way. She was always in the back office and never manning the front desk and i dont believe i seen her smile once her attitude was appalling. There was also another lady whos name I didnt get, she was also quite ignorant and abrupt. On the bright side the valet staff and another 2 front desk staff a young girl and boy were both very friendly so we were actually able to get in a few questions here and there. We also used the pool which was fun but very very shallow, nice and relaxin after a full days shopping though. I would recommend this hotel mainly for its location and certainly not for rachel!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
FPbSPaul, Director of Operations at AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2009

Dear KJones12,
I am very sorry for your experience with 2 of our ladies at the Front Desk. I assure you, this is not typical of the level of service we are known for, and I will be personally following up with each of them. If you would like to discuss further, I certainly welcome your call. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed November 15, 2009

Stayed at this hotel Nov 13 - Nov 15. Super location one block off Michigan Ave. The Desk staff could not have been more accommodating, very helpful and friendly. We arrived early, about 10:30 AM and they searched and found a room already cleaned for us. We had expected to store our bags until the regular check in time. They provided discount coupons for local restaurants, and were happy to make reservations, which got us great seating. The hotel is very clean and quiet.
The only knock is the price of the breakfast is way out of line for the quality of food, but there are other restaurants close by. Also, parking is $38/night, but we took the train into Chicago, so did not have that expense.

Will stay here next time to Chicago for sure.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MidwestJA

Dear MidwestJA,
Thank you for the very nice review of our hotel, and for sharing your experince with all of us. Have a great holiday season, and we hope to see you sometime in 2010.

Reviewed November 15, 2009

I was waiting to write review to ask my son the name of the check in clerk whose name escapes me. He epitomizes this great city and we had a nice chat or two during our stay.
I also saw him leaving a party laughing upon their check in. This says alot about the hotel and your first impression.
My son loved the room and location as I let him choose which Starwood property as we were using points. Yes we could have stayed at Westin or the Towers but this was a great choice. With points you only get a single bedded room but they upgraded us to a two bed even though I offered to pay for a cot. The pillows were the most comfortable I've ever used and the beds were twin I believe and extremely comfortable. I don't understand why americans have to have hugh beds...this was perfectly satisfactory.
The room had a mini fridge, great for storing drinks from the nearby trader joes downstairs along with a close by 711. It's hard to find a badly placed property in Chicago, and this one is right in the thick of things and can't imagine a better located hotel.
We also enjoyed the spa after a long day of walking and the fact the hotel isn't too snooty and you can relax and enjoy the facilities.
The view was nice, one of the things I look for when booking, of a pink restaurant but we didn't have time to try. We were fixated on trying all the pizza joints.
Again, being high season and crowded we still got excellent service.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Dear sallyhess,
Thank you for sharing with us some of the experiences you and your son had while here in Chicago. I am happy to hear that we had met or exceed your expectations.
I hope you had the chance to get to Gino's East on Superior... my personal favorite. If not, be sure to come back in sometime in 2010 and try it out. I hope you'll be staying with us.