“A nice surprise”

Ranked #71 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Boston
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Stayed two nights at the Four Points because it was priced well and in a nice location in Chicago. I did not expect much as past experiences at Four Points hotels have been poor. This one was very nice.

I arrived unfortunately during Spring break and since this hotel is near the American Girl store (or perhaps there was an American Girl convention nearby) it was full to the brim with doll carrying young ladies. This simply meant that there were a lot of people everywhere. At check-in: lots of people. At breakfast: lots of people. At the pool: forget about getting near it. For some reason the fitness room was always empty though.

Seriously, the room, which was the important part of the stay, was nice. It was deeper than most rooms so felt spacious. It was clean and decorated in light colors so it felt bright. The bed was comfortable. I was surprised to find a fridge and a microwave in the room. I do not know if these are standards or I was lucky. The hotel secures its elevators: you need a key to get to your floor. I like that in the cities.

I had some trouble with the internet: not enough bandwidth, I guess, because it was slow and often did not complete its connections.

The hotel is located over a grocery store (Trader Joe's) and is close to restaurants, stores, and sights to see. It is also near the subway. I took the subway from O'Hare for two dollars and walked about 1/2 a mile to the hotel, saving some money.

I'd stay again. The rate could not be beat and in spite of the densely populated spaces (which may have been a anomaly for that week) the staff were consistently helpful and friendly.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — I chose a bad week to be there and the hotel was too crowded.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank fenwayman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Turkish first
Metro Kansas City
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Being a middle-class family man and a small business traveler, I want clean facilities, a few amenties (basic indoor pool & exercise rooms, DIY laundry), and friendly staff. I don't need anything fancy or Four Season Level service (I've stayed at the Ritz and The Four Seasons, when I was with another employer and someone else was in charge of the travel budget and there's no doubt that that level of service and amenity is nice, just not necessary).

The Sheraton has all the basics. The room was clean, smelled clean, felt clean. Fridge, coffee,microwave and wireless internet all worked fine. Bed linens were a bit rough to the touch but to me that's a minor quibble. My TV emitted a really high pitched ringing after a while and if I'd been here with the kids, I'd have insisted on getting it fixed or changing rooms. Instead they comp'ed me breakfast and I banged on the speakers when the ringing started (I did give them a chance to fix the TV and they said they would but it never got better. As I said, no big deal since I was alone.

There's no breakfast included by the way but I'm a foodie and there are a lot of nice places within walking distance. There is also a Trader Joes (great fully stocked real grocery, not a convenience store) just around the corner, which is fantastic for something to drink to put in the mini fridge or fresh fruit or more.

The staff was pretty uniformly friendly and helpful which is the rarest thing in mid-priced hotels like this one. I'd certainly stay here again.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank awang429
Kentucky
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We stayed at the Four Points for one night. We had the American Girl package. The room was only 115.00 a night plus parking and taxes which I thought was a great deal for the location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Cathy at the front desk always acknowledged my daughter by name which made her feel special. The room is clean and comfortable. It is not luxurious but it served our needs well. If I were to stay longer it may not work out as well because we prefer rooms that have the bathroom sinks outside of the shower and toliet (just our preference). We could walk to everything we wanted to do, which was American Girl and some other shopping. We had breakfast at the hotel because it came with our package. I don't know if I would pay the $16.00 per person but we had omelettes, Seattle's best coffee, fresh fruit, cereal,juice, pastries which were actually pretty good. My daughter loved the fact that she got to keep the American girl bed that was in our room waiting for her along with chocolate chip cookies and milk. there is also free wi-fi. Check out is 12 noon but you can leave your car in the garage until 6:00pm which is great if you still want to shop or eat before heading home. Trader Joe's is next door if you want snacks and the room has a frig and microwave. My family and I really enjoyed our night here and would certainly go back.

• Liked — the location and friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the view from the room-but would not stop me from staying again
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
town
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Our family of 4 stayed 2 nights and really liked it. The lobby is welcoming and smelled really nice. The staff was really pleasant and helpful. We had the Extra Comfy room with 2 doubles and a sofabed, which gave us more space to sit and move around. The sofa area was nice for eating the snacks we picked up at Trader Joe's. Always nice to be able to sit somewhere other than the bed. The lighting in the room and bathroom was great. The pool was quiet and gave us a nice break from the hustle of the city. My only tiny complaint: no snuggle socks, which were supposed to be included.

Stayed March 2008
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 19, 2008

A great stay. We were only scheduled for Friday night because they were booked for Saturday night. We are Starwood Preffered Guests and were on the 8th floor with key access only elevators. Upon our arrival we told the staff person who was checkin us in that we had 2 seperate cars there that needed validation because we had met from indiana and Wisconsin. She only charged us for one car parking. We were escorted to our room immediately. The room was very clean, my only complaint was that the pillows were way too soft and had to be folded over to be worth using. The door man was great and made dinner reservations for us. We decided to stay another night and they were booked, but made room for us the next day in an "extra comfy room" which was just larger with a convertable sofabed. Not only did upgrade us to the larger room, but they honored the original promotional rate that the lower grade room was booked at at the promo price...on a night where they were booked! And they only charged us for 1 car so it was a savings of 60$ on parking alone. Everyone was friendly and helpful, I felt safe and welcome at this hotel. It is nothing fancy but we we a block from Michigan Ave and were barely in the room anyways. I would definately stay again!

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — pillows were too soft
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I went to visit some family in Chicago and stayed at the Sheraton Four Points. Upon arrival I was promptly upgrated to a Jr Suite by the very nice lady at the front desk. I found the room to be very accommodating. You can take a look at the pictures to guage for yourself. The hotel itself is connected to Trader Joes which offers everything you could possibly need at great prices including the two bottles of wine I purchased :) There were times when I called for some utensils and whoever answered was not the most friendly person in the world and it took them about 30 min to bring them up to me but overall it was a great hotel for what I paid.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Length of Time to Recieve Utensils That Were Asked For
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Davenport, IA
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I have stayed at several downtown hotels over the years (Affinia, Hilton Garden Inn, Allegro, Courtyard etc...) and this has been the best experience to date. My wife and I had booked the Four Points with the $100/night deal and $1/night parking. Due to an illness we almost had to postpone the trip. Long story short, we made it to the hotel for our first night close to midnight. Our check in was great and we were upgraded since they had sold out of the room we booked. Due to our late arrival, we wanted to extend our stay 1 night to fit everything in we wanted to do (Auto Show, shopping, and restaurant/bar hopping). We were informed the hotel was sold out for that night and we should call back to see if anyone cancels.

Sure enough, someone must have cancelled but they said it would be over $200/night for our suite we were upgraded to on our arrival. I told them thanks but no thanks and was surprised to have them say we could keep our room for the extra night (Sat. night no less) for the $100/night deal we had originally booked!! Our 4 night stay was fabulous and the staff remembered us every time we came back from shopping, eating, etc...all of which are close.

We were ready to leave impressed with the service from the maids (who brought new complementary bottled waters every morning) to the doorman. Well, we hit a snag when our car's battery died and thought we would have to call AAA to get us started. We told the front desk who immediately said they had an extra set of jumper cables if we could find a good samaritan. That good samaritan happened to be the doorman who came out with the jumper cables and jumped it with his personal car!! Now that is what I call service!! On top of everything they gave us free parking for the entire stay. Yeah, its 4 bucks with our deal, but it's this kind of thing that really makes a difference.

Even though you are not staying at a 4-star hotel, you are getting 4-star service, which some of the best hotels in the area can't say. When someone asks me what hotel I recommend in Chicago, my new answer is the Four Points Sheraton.

My wife and I also highly recommend Lawry's directly across the street. We had our Valentine's Day dinner there and it's the best steak I've had while in Chicago. Pizzeria Uno is only a block away and a must for us everytime we are in town.

• Liked — 4 comfort bed is good!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)