“Great location and comfortable rooms”

AC Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #61 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I loved the location -- just a block over from the Magnificent Mile. Rooms are very clean, everything seems new. Very comfortable. Free wireless. And there's a Trader Joe's right next door, so I bought breakfast and supplies there. Great price for the excellent location! I will stay there again.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank mi456
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed January 13, 2008

I was the group leader of 60 people visiting Chicago. We had 21 rooms booked. All 60 of us had a wonderful time and we were very impressed with the hotel. The only problem that we encountered, was that one of the families had requested adjoining rooms, but they were not given adjoining rooms. Our group rate reservation was prepaid and nonrefundable, but due to the mixup, they allowed them to cancel their 2nd room with no penalty. Actually it worked out better for them because with 2 double beds and a pull-out sofa, they had plenty of room for everyone in the one room. The hotel even gave them complimentary breakfast vouchers.
This hotel was spotless! The front desk employees were very nice. The doorman was exceptionally friendly and helpful. They knew we were arriving early (we called them from Amtrak on the way to Chicago), so they had all of our rooms ready when we arrived. Since there was such a large number of us, the doorman did an outstanding job of arranging taxi vans for some of our transportation. The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of many of our points of interest. We had a wonderful stay and I would definetely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Here to see Wicked - was a nice 13 minute walk down State St. Front desk folks were very friendly and helped w/directions and plans to different museums making a # of calls for us and putting info under our door when we were gone.
One block from MI ave. and nice dining.
Room was good - bed comfy though sheets weren't all that soft; and fridge and mic provided. Free wireless internet. Continental breakfast $11+ though we bought supplies at Trader Joe's which is connected to hotel and had our own stuff.
Found deal on Travelocity for $99/night and $1 parking!!! Otherwise parking is $30/night.
Only negative was slow drain in shower.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dds_travel
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My wife and I met some friends down in Chicago for a weekend getaway and decided on the Four Points. The price, the location, and winter package were the deciding factors for us. I have to say that my experience was very nice. I cannot say the same for our friends.
When my friend made his reservation, he was quoted a price of approx. $200 a night. He told me to call the same number he did to make the reservation. I did minutes after him. My price was $165 a night. Needless to say, i booked. I immediately called my friend to let him know my price. He called right back and advised them of my price. They said that his room would be a Jr. suite of some sort. Having his wife, 3 yr old son, and a baby sitting niece travelling with him, he agreed to the price.
Upon my arrival at the Hotel, we were greeted by the doorman and bell hop. Very, very courteous! The staff behind the counter checking us in were also very nice and helpful. They gave us our room key and had the bell hop bring up the bags.
Our room was on the top (8th?) floor. There was a sign that stated this was a Starwood Floor (some members floor). Anyway, our room was HUGE with a King size bed. The room was spotless also. We couldn't be happier! For the price and size of the room, I could not complain in the least.
Surprised by the size and cleanliness of the room, i text messaged the great news my friend who was arriving in the morning.
When he and his family arrived, he called me accusing me of being sarcastic. Being the constant joker he is, my wife and I went to meet him at his room on another floor. His room was so small that my wife and I would have been completely uncomfortable in there. Because of the extra people in his room, he also had a roll away bed in the room. You could not even walk in his room. Remember, he paid for the "bigger" room.
We then invited him up to our room. He was very upset to say the least. I was paying approx. $40 less than he was with a room that could've fit his room in our bathroom. He immediately went down to the front desk and asked for a new room advising them about the size and price difference. The front desk stated that our room was the same as his and that the hotel was completely booked, "sorry". When the hotel refused to change his room, my wife and I offered to change rooms with them. He declined and stayed cramped all weekend.
I guess this review can go both ways. It really can be a hit or miss with this hotel. My wife and I really did enjoy it. My friend on the other hand......

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2007

We had never been to Chicago before - but we were really looking forward to it. We arrived at Ohare about midday and after a
"life/death" cab ride we arrived at the hotel. The check in took a while because the computers were down. About an hour later we found our room. It was quite large but pretty empty. The worst part was the bed - the sheets seemed about 10 years old & did not really seem to fit the bed - apart from all the foriegn matter found on closer inspection. We managed to get some clean sheets from house keeping - but they were really no better. Needless to say - not the best couple of nights sleep we have ever had. On a positive side - great business facilities. Staff were very nice - but did not seem knowledgable about the town. However - we loved Chicago and can't wait to visit again. Eveyone we met was really lovely.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2007

We stayed here for 7 nights from 18 November and extended it for a further night. My wife secured the booking online for about USD 100 per night plus taxes, but because of very strong occupancy (RSNA conference) we had to pay USD 225 for last unarranged night. I thought this was very reasonable for a central Chicago hotel (compared to Sydney prices this was BRILLIANT value!!) and the weak USD helps us too.
We were upgraded to a suite (I suspect due to us being SPG members) and it was great. Sure, there was no view but we focus more on the ability to sleep at night (ie no noise) and comfortable bed (which was great). We were on level 6 of the 8 level building.
Big plus was the free WiFi broadband internet. Free coffee for the perculator also provided. I am not sure if it is the hotel's fault as to what TV services they subscribe to but what programs came out of the box in the evening was of very poor quality.
Hotel is many have said is in a great position - Trader Joes very handy for all those bits and pieces you need and great value too.
My wife was attending two conferences ahead of the RSNA one (she is still in Chicago but at a different hotel which had already been booked with another lady). So I walked everywhere as it was that handy - to the Chicago History museum in the north to Millenium Park in the South (take a bow Chicagoeans - you have done a wonderful job in creating this - something to be remembered as being created at the turn of the century).
Thanksgiving Day it snowed in the morning so I was a happy chappy coming from 30 degree celcius Brisbane heat!!).
We also recommend attending the Piano Bar - sat right next to the piano player from about 10pm to just after midnight - absolutely brilliant (pity people have to smoke though!!).
This hotel will certainly be our first option when returning to Chicago - I cannot understand why others need to pay USD300 plus to get a little more. Go past this hotel and you enter the state of diminishing returns.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank BrisbaneKiwi
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We go to Chi-Town every Thanksgiving so we have stayed at several downtown hotels. The Sheraton Mag Mile 4 Points was a nice hotel and I would recommend. Great location, a block off Mag Mile and close to bunches of restaurants. Room was well appointed and had microwave and frig which always comes in handy. Beds were fine, but I didn't notice anything "special" about them. Staff was courteous and always looked up and said hello. I had prepaid reservations well in advance and had asked for a room w/ a street view ... but didn't get one. That would be my only complaint w/ the hotel -- it is only 8 floors and where it is located there would be few rooms w/ a view.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple