“Perfection”
Review of Chinatown Hotel

Chinatown Hotel
Ranked #161 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My husband and I despite the reviews on this place, gave it a chance. Let me tell you something. This place was not very expensive, but it was CLEAN and an amazing room. The Check in was a breeze, Very friendly staff. It wasn't noisy and the room was spotless. The Bathroom was super clean with shampoo / conditioner / soap available. Our bed was very comfortable and each time we got back from traveling around Chicago, our room was made up with fresh towels and the bed made. I liked the fact it was tucked away in Chinatown and I didn't hear any noises from the busy street. My husband and I were on the second floor. This place was beyond amazing and I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katharine B
There are newer reviews for Chinatown Hotel

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I can deal with the tiny room, and all the dated hardware, but what completely ruined it for me was the paper thin walls and the loud obnoxious patrons. It's like they were partying in the hallways. I was booked for one more night but I'm getting the hell out of here, I need some damn sleep!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Xt390
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Where to begin...
While one of the least expensive hotels I could find on this particular weekend (booked late), it needs to be cheaper or free!! Hostles are way cleaner and have lots more to offer!!
Hair, scum and dirt in bathroom! Stained carpets.
No buckets for ice, no elevator, stained dirty hallway carpets, and furniture is like they picked it up from the dump...I can go on, but you should get the hint.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank TkGer
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The sheet did not fit around the mattress, the room was clean on first sight but hair in the sink and dust in the corners showed not the cleanness I expect in a hotel (even a cheap one). The shower regulator knob was loose (fell down), but the shower is nice (when you are passed the black spots -fungi- on the wall) warm and good pressure.

The bed is comfortable, the room small but effective. It is what you are looking for, I decided to spent more on a hotel (>$100) next time I am going to stay in Chicago. This $96, was not worth it.

The room was very warm (couldn't regulate it), the heating kept ticking and the street side was very noisy, during the late evening and in the early morning (garbage pick up).

Room Tip: Street side is very noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Birkebeiner
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was looking for a hotel where I could get a two room suite at an economical price, close both to downtown and Hyde Park, and this hotel fit the bill. The bathroom was remodeled and clean, which was nice since the rest of the room was a little worn. Our stay did not produce any bad surprises; it is a budget hotel, but acceptably clean and in a good location. Just out the door there are many options for restaurants as well as bakeries for breakfast. It is also close to the White Sox ballpark and the very nice but not so well known Ping Tom Park by the river.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jwadem
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Affordable rate for budget conscious travelers, near Metro station, about 2 stops from Downtown loop, nice n clean bathroom, free wifi, tv with cable, coffeemaker in the room but bring the coffee! I appreciate that the guy at the reception allowed us to check-in at 6am as our flight was quite early. I also like that its quiet and away from the city nightlife.

Cons: Room small although just right for sleeping in after a day's sightseeing, room was toooo cold but theres a portable heater wc we moved close to the bed for warmth, 2 very thin pillows provided, no ref, no microwave, no free breakfast, no elevator so we had to drag luggages up the stairs.

I think this is for people on a budget who wants to be close to downtown in a safe neighborhood. Not for those who wants a fancy hotel or those who wants to be in walking distance from the tourist attractions of downtown (the short ride is not that bad, though).

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank JazzV
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As a sensual experience this hotel was at best dull, at worst it set the bottom of the range we stayed in for a two week vacation towards the bottom of the cost range for the US.

Nothing was nice, nothing was hideous, thats about the best I can say.

For the first time in my memory I woke due to the raw skin on my side where my weigh, the crumples on the under-sheet matress protector, and the hard matress had conspired to waken me from my normal deep slumber. Red raw crease marks - a novelty.

If you get a really cheap deal, and you can live with it, then it could be adequate. If its a hot date - avoid.

We knew we were taking a risk and we are adults, so no hard feelings, apart from my raw skin.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple