“Better choice then I expected”
Review of Chinatown Hotel

Chinatown Hotel
Ranked #157 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Prague, Czech Republic
“Better choice then I expected”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was looking for a cheap hotel in a walking distance from McCormick Centre and this one was a better choice then I expected according to the website. I appreciated the kids-friendly staff, free coffee and tea, possibility to use the fridge and microwave. The rooms were big, clean, although furniture seems old and used. But wifi ran quickly, TV at the room, many restaurants around. Unfortunately no elevator, bit noisy. But right on the red line of train. If you don't expect luxury, I would recommend that.

Room Tip: The bigger the better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Blodenwedd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Omg run unless you are used to living with roaches and run down, old EVERYTHING! This is place hotel furniture goes before the landfill. Very gracious about a quick refund and that was appreciated so 5 on service!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank turnthepage0312

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

new delhu
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Unclean,unfriendly, rude staff, noisy rooms and absence of even basic amenities like effective room heating. Would advise everyone to stay away from this mousetrap of a hotel. Booked over internet and clearly dismayed by what I found. Suffered every minute of my stay here. Struggled with my heavy luggage since there were no lifts and had to haul my bags all the way to the second floor. Pulled a muscle in my shoulder as a result. Regret staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gyrus_rectus
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 25, 2012

nice and close to the red line train and lots of great restaurants. small room but clean and well kept up. would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Clean, Average, safe hotel. I stayed for 2 days in 3rd floor on Aug 17 - 19.

Pros - Budget, around $75/day, Decent Location, Metro train is walkable, clean, private clean restroom, hot water, private A/C, safe, up to 1 am you will get food near by restaurants .

Cons - No lift, so if you have luggage it is tough, no break fast free, the bed is spring and makes noise if you turn,(I slept well as I was tired to my bones), the cot has wheel so take care not to keep any items near the cot legs, some folks may not like the smell as you enter your room however it goes off once your a/c is on. No fridge, you need to use the common fridge which i would not advice as i lost my food.

Room Tip: Choose the 1st or max 2nd floor as there is no lift
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Abdul1289
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I took a lot of pictures of my room to detail my worst hotel nightmare and could provide it upon request. China Hotel firstly misleads customers with attractive pictures of their lobby on Hotels.com. The truth is this is a dirty and poorly maintained place. When I got to the hotel, I was sent to Room 201. When I entered the room, I felt like puking right away. My bed sheet was dirty and old, the bathroom floor was all but scrapped, the TV is an old analog with no remote, only two channels to be watched. So I asked to be relocated. I then was sent to room 207. With a sense of relief, I got to that room: it was stinking, toilet water was leaking, the whole carpet was wet with a strong smell. I raced back to the lobby with my luggage and convinced the gentleman in attendance to come visit the room with me. When he entered, he held his nose and took me to Room 305. While room 305 was decent, the carpet had stains of blood or feces or chocolate on it, the bed sheet was frown, there are electric wires hanging from the ceiling. Defeated and tired, I settled here for the night but ran away at 9:00 Am to another hotel. The management of this hotel gave me the sense that they did not care what you need or want. They just made you feel that you have a great location near downtown. Any one who pays $85.00 should not be treated like this. Please stay away from China Hotel if you want a minimum of comfort and customer service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Richard L
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The website is misleading. Standard room comes with one bed and is very small. The decor is tacky and the room had several holes in the wall and was in desperate need of updating.

Was initially planning on staying 4 nights, but immediately cancelled the remaining three days and booked somewhere else.

This place resembles an old rooming house that is shady and on the wrong side of town. I slept with my clothes on and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012