“A lot better than the old reviews”
Review of Chinatown Hotel

Chinatown Hotel
Ranked #162 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Its a budget hotel that tries hard to excel. We got an upgrade for free and the room fitted our standards.
The hotel management were quite helpful and the hotel is close to the metro. Take the ferry from two streets away into town for an added bonus.
It was a budget hotel that suited us!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank brycephillips

An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed April 10, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was calling them to figure out the rate and vacancy. The guy speaking to me spoke Chinese for a while and then English for another while. And he even rudely hang up my phone when I didn't hear him clearly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helen B
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I booked this hotel mainly because of the price and location. It was VERY cheap and I found it to be within reasonable walking distance of everything I wanted to do (Cloud Gate, Magnificent Mile, etc.) You certainly get what you pay for. It's an extremely outdated place. The room was small...there were maybe 3 inches of space between the wall and the bed on all sides of the room except the small area in front of the bathroom. Everything in the room was clearly very old..the carpet, the bedding, the heater....easily from the 60s or 70s. But I didn't go to Chicago to stay in a hotel...I just needed somewhere to sleep and it served that purpose. It was at least clean. If you're someone who is claustrophobic, needs amenities, or cannot handle walking several miles, I would suggest an upgrade. Otherwise, it's decent for the price.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Veritiserum
Reviewed November 23, 2011

i booked this hotel because i thought it was near union station, stupid me.I also had it booked before i read the reviews here,which made me think ,my gawd what kind of a dump have i booked myself into..i did not cancel however (unfortunetly) people say you get what you pay for ,location was good near the EL the room was basic but acceptable, no bugs to be seen ,Trying to sleep however proved next to be impossible the room was too hot for me and i could not open the windows as this let in the sound or the air conditioners outside .I slept for about 4 hours that night,the following day i complained and changed rooms, this turned out to be worse than the first room as directly outside the window in the alleyway between the buildings was a small tin hut which pinged when it rained .I slept for about 2 hours the second and last night . This hotel is by far the worst place i have ever stayed and i should have taken the advice of the people who said DO NOT STAY HERE. they are telling the truth as i now know to my cost.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I was in Chicago mid-November on a business trip. In an attempt to save our company a little coin, my colleague and I booked our stay at the Chinatown Hotel. We thought we would give it the old college try and maybe discover a hidden gem. Wrong. Things to know about the Chinatown Hotel: 1) They DO NOT accept American Express as payment, but you can book your hotel with an American Express. Bring another form of payment, which is due in full when you check IN; 2) There's no elevator, but there is a very narrow staircase. Pack light, and small; 3) The parking situation is two blocks away. If traveling by car, check in first, then park so you don't have to lug your luggage through Chinatown. Also, being a single female, and traveling with another female, I don't reccomend this place for females. I really don't reccomend it for anyone, but I think men have less discriminating tastes than women. It is definitely more like a hostel. So, if you're young, male, and don't care where you sleep, stay here. If however, you have the budget, have traveled quite a bit, and have a general concern for your health and safety, DO NOT stay here.

I will say the staff on duty was very accomodating when my colleague and I decided to check out immediately after checking in. No questions, no hassle. So, that was a bonus. I highly reccomend visiting Chinatown when you're in Chicago, just stay somewhere else in the city.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Margaret W
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I advice you to stay away from this "hotel" (hostel) at all cost. I was in Chicago for a few days in August 2011 and stayed here. First off there is no elevator and the staircases are dark. and scary. When I got to my room, it looked like the room wasn't cleaned in years,the carpret was stained, the walls had chipped painted. I notice the first piece of hair on the bathroom floor..so gross. I quickly swept it up with a piece of tissue. After that, I turned my attention to the bed and discovered that the blankets where covered with long black hair stuck on them. It looked like these blankets were never washed. I lifted off the blankets and found more hair on the sheets. The mattress had stains and big ripps in it. The mattress seem to be 10 years old. This place is very dirty. Also, at 3 in the morning they were people(im not sure of they were workers) making noise in the hallway.

Room Tip: No rooms are good here.