“A Diamond in the Rough” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #136 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Frankfort, Illinois
“A Diamond in the Rough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here, and had the opportunity to stay over. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little apprehensive. Boy, was I wrong! Sure, this building is old, and it needs some attention. But once you look past that, and see the beauty of its history and the graciousness of its staff, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was. The room we stayed in was very spacious - AND had a beautiful, unobstructed view. The bed was comfortable - much more than some of the places I've stayed in. Yes, the carpet and drapes were old and in need of replacing. But overall, I would stay here again in a heartbeat! The staff was helpful, professional and polite; the food was outstanding; the location is GREAT! And at no time did I feel uneasy or in danger of being mugged while out after dark. They may not have all the perks of some of the newer hotels in the area; but then again, those newer places also don't have the history or charm of the Standard Club.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ginny C
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much. Your feedback is so important to us, we know it takes time to leave a review and appreciate your comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a special location for life events such as weddings and our whole team takes great pride in being in part of these very special occasions. Being just one block from State St. we have many great attractions and wonderful shopping close to hand. I will definitely pass your comments on to our staff it is always so nice to share this feedback with them. We do know that some items in the room need updating and are currently looking at these projects. In the meantime, we do have some of the largest rooms of Hotels and Clubs close by and enjoy unobstructed views on both sides of the building. Thank you again and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I spent three days at the Standard Club. I was in town for a conference. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel is in walking distance of many city attractions. I took advantage of the very nice pool and exercise room during my stay. I also ate at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Thanks again to the very pleasant staff. They really provided great customer service and made my stay very enjoyable. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to my family and friends. Great staff, great price and great location!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gina N
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Standard Club. Being a private club our staff take pride in taking time to get to know all our members and guests and making sure they enjoy their stay with us. It is so good to hear that you enjoyed the service here. We are situated in a great location, walking distance to both the business district and many of the city’s favorite attractions such as Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Chicago River and our wonderful lakefront. We also have fabulous shopping close at hand as we are just one block from State Street. I am also glad you had a chance to enjoy our restaurant. We are renowned throughout Chicago for our food and take great pride in our historic dining room. Your comments are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great location and great service-reasonable prices. Our double bed room was large and clean but smelled old and musty. Several things were repaired during our 3 night stay. The bathroom also emits an odor of old pipes. It is a grand old building fitting to Chicago history but with that comes just plain "old"
We did not eat there. It definitely needs some money and upgrades but then the prices will go up also.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank joanne g
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is always so good for our staff to receive positive feedback. We take your comments very seriously and are checking into the odor you mentioned. Our rooms are larger but more classic than some of our competitors. We are however gradually making upgrades to enhance our product. As we do that though, we are mindful of our history and traditions. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

WOW i am not quite sure where to start.... First of all... I have stayed at motel 6 and it was like a 5 star hotel compared to this. As soon as i came into the room the first thing i noticed was the beautifully stained carpet, there was not a clean spot on it, and was completely black around the edges. Second came the smell of old musty unventilated basement. Awful! Our closet doors were completely broken so we could not use the closet. Also, the room had no safe... What kind of a room doesnt have a safe!??? The bathroom didnt look too bad except for the shower covered in mold and mildew. Now comes the best part.... The bed... Oh my God, i have not slept for one minute of the night. The pillow was made out of spring board so using a pillow was out of question. The sheet and blanket were definitely made out of balsa wood.. To even try to go to sleep i had to grab towels and fold them up to use as a pillow which might have worked if it wasnt for the bromen AC which made the temperature in our room above 85 for sure when we had it set at 50; also apparently this is in a great location right next to a rail road so every 15 minutes you would jump up in terror thinking that a train will come through the window. Speaking of windows.... Our blinds were definitely from the 60s in an ugly brown color and bent! The view was of a somewhat abandoned factory/garage.
The area that this dump is located in is literally in the middle of no where. Its terrifying just going outside. I wouldnt be comfortable taking out my phone without fearing that i will be robbed.
At around 430 in the morning i could not take being in this room anymore so as i got up i quickly realized that from laying on this hard as wood bed and having no pillow that i could not move my neck!!! This is inhumane. I bet in jails the beds are A LOT more comfortable than this.
So yes my best suggestion is to STAY AWAY from this place.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We’re so sorry to hear about your experience. Because we take each of our guest’s visits seriously, It’s tough to hear anytime anyone does not enjoy his or her time at our Club. We appreciate your feedback. We know that where you stay is an important part of any trip, and we work really hard to make sure The Standard Club upholds its 144-year history of excellence, but it doesn’t sound like we met your expectations. Please rest assured that we’re taking this feedback very seriously and sharing it throughout our organization to address the points you outlined. If you have other details to share, or if you’d like to discuss further, we’re here to listen. Feel free to call or send me an email at rpearson@stclub.org.
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was in the hotel for one evening for a business meeting, not my choice. For me the location is a little far from the main tourist attractions and the best shopping, but I could get over that. The room was the disappointment. First was the ratty, frayed carpet at the threshold, next was what appeared to be dried blood on the comforter, next were the areas of paint peeling on the ceiling over the bed and then the mangled louvers on the mini blinds--so bad you couldn't keep the sun out. The bathroom was nice with good soap. They spent some money on a Keurig coffee maker with some premium k cups but no half and half, only powdered creamer. I didn't hate the room and if I were in the area again I might stay here if the rate was the same. Just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cathy s
ClubManagerChicago, Manager at The Standard Club, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Your comments are very important to us and they are not taken lightly. We have gone through every room to check the threshold of the carpets and had them repaired immediately. Our painter is in the process of re-visiting every room. Our comforters go out for dry-cleaning on a regular basis. Our Director of Housekeeping has checked every room since we received your feedback. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service and we will not accept a comforter being in place that has stains on it. I apologize that you had this one in your room. We are currently looking at alternative window treatments and hope to have a new solution soon. I do hope you will stay with us again when your travels next bring you to Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can take care of your reservation personally.
Irving, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was an interesting stay. The location is so central and very convenient to be in the city. For that, I give the hotel a nod. My room was literally half cleaned... got back to the room at midnight and the bathroom area had no coffee, no trash emptied..it was like housekeeping stopped mid-assignment and left. The replacement items came very promptly, but the wrong type of coffee for the coffeemaker. In the morning, I had to ask for coffee again. I left my luggage in storage, and when I retrieved it the bellman didn't realize the laptop computer was separate from the piece of luggage and DROPPED the computer. This is an older hotel, with an element of old time elegance and grace. I would certainly stay here again, as the hiccups were not a deal breaker. Attention to detail would help. Employees were polite and eager to please.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DJK_traveler17
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were in the city for the Pearl Jam show at Wrigley Field, which is another story... But the staff at the Standard Club were amazing in the morning when we left. There happened to be a parade that was blocking access for cars to both the Plymouth and Dearborn entrances to the Club. The Valet staff managed to get our car as close as humanly possible (also possibly illegally close) and the bell staff carried our luggage to the car a block and a half away. Can't thank them enough!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple