“2 minutes entry!”

and up
Private Guided SUV Tour for up to 4 Guests
Ranked #40 of 652 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in the heart of Chicago’s financial district, Daniel Burnham and John Root’s 1888 Rookery Building is a Chicago landmark, containing one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s most dramatic interior compositions – a luminous and brilliantly articulated central light court. In 1905, Wright was commissioned to remodel the Rookery light court and lobbies. He realized a stunning balance between Burnham & Root’s ornamental ironwork and his own vision to create a spectacular environment. Learn about the building’s fascinating history and the unique contribution of one of America’s greatest architects on the Trust’s guided tours Monday through Friday from 11 am to 1 pm.
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We were walking by on our way to the Willis Tower. Peeked in as it was suggested by our guidebook.

If you go by, have a look. Its does look very light for such a strong structure.

All reviews
"oak park"
in 4 reviews
"tour group"

Reviewed August 19, 2018

Taking a photo of the circular staircase at the Rookery was on my list of photos to get when visiting Chicago. I didn't know the only way to see it was to take a $10.00 tour, but I was happy to pay this to get the photo! The tour was interesting and I was happy once we arrived at the staircase...but with 15 other people on the tour there was a little wait to get the stairway photo. Just when I think I'll have some time to concentrate on the shot we're told to hurry - the tour is moving along! I wasn't happy with the short amount of time to try to get a good photo of this iconic staircase!

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

We walked in on our own, not with a tour, so couldn’t go far (couldn’t go up the stairs). The building is so beautiful that it is worth it just to see it from the inside. The gold everywhere is stunning, as is the ceiling. We will probably only inside for 15 minutes, but I am very glad we went. It is quite close to the Sears Tower, so if you are headed that way, you can easily add a stop at this beautiful building.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

I finally took a tour of the Rookery from the Frank Lloyd Wright trust, and it was terrific. I already knew a lot about Burnham & Root and the Rookery, but I was still fascinated. Sigh up for the tour online and go.

Date of experience: June 2018