“Wish the tour was longer!”
Review of The Rookery

and up
Private Guided SUV Tour for up to 4 Guests
Ranked #36 of 638 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in the heart of Chicago’s financial district, at 209 South LaSalle Street, Daniel Burnham and John Root’s Rookery Building is a Chicago landmark, containing a luminous and brilliantly articulated central light court remodeling by Frank Lloyd Wright.When completed in 1888, The Rookery was one of the most expensive and largest commercial buildings in Chicago, housing more than 600 offices. The building’s name was carried over from a nickname given to the structures that occupied The Rookery site prior to its design. These buildings, Chicago’s temporary city hall and a water tank, were known popularly as “the rookery” because of the many birds that nested there and the likelihood of being “rooked” by the politicians in residence.In 1898, when Frank Lloyd Wright opened his studio in Oak Park, he rented space in The Rookery Building to serve as his downtown Chicago office. In 1905, Wright was commissioned to update the interior design and plan of the light court and lobbies. He realized a stunning balance between Burnham & Root’s ornamental ironwork and his own vision to create a spectacular environment – one of his most dramatic interior compositions.Learn about the building’s fascinating history and the unique contribution of one of America’s greatest architects on the Preservation Trust’s guided tours Monday through Friday at noon.
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Taking a photo of the circular staircase at the Rookery was on my list of photos to get when visiting Chicago. I didn't know the only way to see it was to take a $10.00 tour, but I was happy to pay this to get the photo! The tour was interesting and I was happy once we arrived at the staircase...but with 15 other people on the tour there was a little wait to get the stairway photo. Just when I think I'll have some time to concentrate on the shot we're told to hurry - the tour is moving along! I wasn't happy with the short amount of time to try to get a good photo of this iconic staircase!

All reviews
"amazing architecture"
"walking tour"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

We walked in on our own, not with a tour, so couldn’t go far (couldn’t go up the stairs). The building is so beautiful that it is worth it just to see it from the inside. The gold everywhere is stunning, as is the ceiling. We will probably only inside for 15 minutes, but I am very glad we went. It is quite close to the Sears Tower, so if you are headed that way, you can easily add a stop at this beautiful building.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

I finally took a tour of the Rookery from the Frank Lloyd Wright trust, and it was terrific. I already knew a lot about Burnham & Root and the Rookery, but I was still fascinated. Sigh up for the tour online and go.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

My husband and I saw the Rookery as part of a walking tour presented by the Chicago Architecture Foundation (90 minutes for about $25, I think). You only see the lobby, but believe me, that is plenty. Stunning! The staircases and lighting were amazing. If architecture is of any interest to you I think you'll love it.