“A Nice Find!”

Great Street Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Great Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,720 of 9,531 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Wacker & State
Transit: Conveniently located on the corner of State & Wacker. Lake Street and Red Line stations located directly behind the hotels back entrance
Description: A fresh take on Loop dining, Great Street combines picturesque views, sensational local flavors and a vibrant downtown to deliver a true taste of Chicago. Regional and seasonal creations fill the menu at this modern classic restaurant, enticing guests to return time and again.
El Paso, Illinois
“A Nice Find!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We dined at the Great Restaurant Bar and Grill before heading out to the theater midweek of Thanksgiving. We let our waiter know what our time frame was, and he made sure our food was enjoyably paced so we could enjoy our meal without worrying about making it to the theater on time.
Although the menu is not extensive, the food we had was very good. We'd eaten an appetizer in the Nuvo Bar so we went straight to the list of entrees. My husband had the Beer Braised Short Ribs. They were fork tender and came with a very nice port wine sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, and a few spears of sauteed broccoli. I had the Day Boat Scallops which were served with a fabulous saffron risotto and a small watercress salad. The portion size of both dinners was quite large- enough for much healthier appetites than ours. I believe my dinner came with six large scallops and my husband had two short ribs that would have satisfied Fred Flinstone. My saffron risotto was as good as any I've ever tasted and the scallops were perfectly cooked. We each enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner and liked the fact that our waiter could offer suggestions regarding pairings with our food. We also enjoyed being able to look out over Wacker Drive, watch the folks scurrying by and hear each other as we talked over dinner. Lovely, very, very lovely!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Cabdg

cleve, ohio
“Fantastic wait staff with food to match!”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a Fantastic Brunch the morning after the wedding we attended. I was impressed at the impeccable service of the waiters. The brunch selections were plentiful with lots of fresh fruit.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank elouise_8
Casa Grande, Arizona
“Great view, good food, bad service”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My niece and I had one night in Chicago together. We started at the Christkindl market and sampled yummy food. Then we spent two hours at Macy's with the makeup counter gals (wonderfully fun). We decided to sit somewhere and nosh and chat. The Renaissance Hotel restaurant welcomed us at 9pm on Thursday, December 16. The restaurant was completely empty, and they gave us the best table with a fantastic view of Wacker. We ordered salads and flatbreads, all of which were delicious (maybe too much dressing on the salad). Neither of us drinks alcohol, but we did order two desserts and cappucino. Up until then, our waitress and bus people were wonderful. But then the waitress set down the bill and started to harrass me about paying it. At some point she asked us if we were staying at the hotel. Just before bringing us the bill, she welcomed two sets of diners, so we were no longer alone. My niece and I were busy talking and not paying attention, but it finally became quite clear that our waitress had rescinded her welcome and wanted us to be done. The bus person pulled our desserts before we were finished! (A better-skilled wait staff could have handled the situation with much more finesse and class.) I had already put the tip on the bill, or else I would have rescinded that. It didn't ruin our evening, because, well, a snippy waitress shouldn't ruin anyone's evening. My guess is we became a problem because we weren't staying at the hotel and they couldn't put our tab on the room. Still, we weren't exactly paying WalMart prices and we had asked them if they were willing to serve us before we entered. It was kind of a cheap way to be treated.

Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent dinner; perfect for theater goers”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Had tickets for a show at the Chicago Theater and checking out the theater's website saw that Great Street Restaurant was offering a $99 per couple theater package. Bottle of wine, parking validation and three course meal. Was skeptical as it sounded too good to be true.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Dinner was excellent, from appetizer to entree to dessert. I thought the bottle of wine was very good, especially since you are limited to what they offer for the package. Every course was timed perfectly and we had plenty of time to get to the show, although it only took about a 2 minute walk as this restaurant is conveniently right across the street from the theater.

I did make reservations, but seemed unnecessary as restaurant was not that crowded.

Chicago, Illinois
“Poor Service”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The food was excellent, the view was magnificent. The noise level allowed conversation, but we would have preferred less background music. However, the pleasure of this was dimmed by a lazy waiter who rarely appeared. He had explained specials to the first couple. When second couple arrived, he appeared at the table and said "Have you decided what you want?" at 7:00 he brought dessert menus, we said we had a 7:30 curtain, he said there was plenty of time. He never came back to even take a coffee order. We had to hail another waiter to get check to leave by 7:13! It is sad when a bored indifferent waiter can make an otherwise excellent restaurant into an unhappy experience.

1 Thank EthelSue