“Holy Cow what a breakfast!”
Review of Bongo Room

Bongo Room
Ranked #377 of 9,712 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Wicker Park / Bucktown
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great little place in Wicker Park with an amazingly unique menu! The food was supremely delicious and creative. I got the caramel/white chocolate, pretzel pancakes which I'm STILL thinking about. Let's just keep this our secret though!

1  Thank slferde
There are newer reviews for Bongo Room

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hands down the best brunch I have ever had. Its definitely in your interest to order as many items off their menu as you can (they allow you to order just one pancake or one piece of french toast to try). Ok here's what we ordered and adored every bite:
1. BLT Benedict -- such a great twist on your traditional eggs benne. The pesto in the hollandaise sauce adds such nice flavor, and pairs quite well with the bacon they include. The eggs were perfectly poached and the english muffin was also delicious -- definitely recommended. (good size portion -- would work well to split)
2. Veggie Croissant -- absolutely delicious. Very fresh ingredients. Sweet and flakly croissant. Pretty large portion, especially since it includes potatoes on the side - may be a good idea to split.
3. Lemon Ricotta and Cherry Pancake -- served with a gingery cookie type of butter. That was really delicious. The pancakes were light and fluffy, they had a nice subtle lemon flavor and the cherry added some tartness to balance the dish. Do not order if you're not a fan of gingerbread cookies -- the butter tastses just like that!
4. Pretzel and Caramel Pancake -- Ok, this is one of the best things I have ever tasted. It was sweet and salty, which is one of my favorite flavor profiles. It was out of this world! Nice fluffly pancake with crushed pretzels on the outside, a creamy caramel sauce and a cream cheese sauce. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Now, of course, Bongo Room changes their menu all the time so you may not see some of the pancakes on the menu when you visit BUT I promise you that you will enjoy any other pancakes they have on the menu. They do such a beautiful job with them (and everything else!). Order one of their savory dishes and then order a few different pancakes. You won't be able to stop thinking about them!

2  Thank wisoc003
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a must visit for brunch, I can't say enough about how fantastic it was. The french toast special was to die for.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

After finding Bongo Room on Yelp we knew we had to try it. We came on a Saturday morning during the air show weekend to the Wabash location. We got there at 8:50am and didnt realize it didnt open until 9am so we waited outside for the doors to open. We were second in line. By the time the doors opened the line was down the sidewalk! The waitress was friendly and helpful since this was our first visit. The restaurant is clean and modern looking. There were lots of tables so the entire line that was waiting outside was able to get seated. My husband got the raspberry Oreo flapjacks, my son got the special which was like a caramel/chocolate/pretzel flapjack and I got the blueberry & cream hotcakes. We ordered the 1/2 order (2 cakes instead of 3). The waitress told us you can also get only 1 cake, which is good to know as it doesnt state that on the menu. We all drank water but there were some drinks on the menu that sounded yummy. We were all very satisfied with our choices and even did some sharing. It was like dessert for breakfast! The cream sauce was amazing. We were so full that we didnt eat again until dinner! We would certainly go back for our next visit.

1  Thank Griswolds198
Reviewed August 9, 2012

While visiting our daughter who was in Chicago working as a summer intern between her junior and senior year at a private college, she took us to the Bongo Room in the Wicker Park area of the city. The restaurant had been recommended to her as a good place for weekend brunch by a friend or co-worker. There were four of us in our party and we were all thrilled at our dining experience there. The food was not only amazing, there were gigantic portions. I had the blueberry & cream hotcakes, my wife had the strawberry banana hotcakes, one daughter had the omlette, and the other daughter had the French toast. Needless to say, each of us had to take a carryout bag because no one could finish their meal at one sitting. I had ordered a side of the house potatoes with cheese and had to take all of those as a carryout item. Again, this was a terrific surprise for all of us. The food was tremendous, plentiful and reasonably priced. If we ever return to Chicago, the Bongo Room will be one of our mandatory stops.

1  Thank Richard B

Been to Bongo Room? Share your experiences!