“A candidate for "Restaurant Impossible"”
Review of Mirabell Restaurant - CLOSED

Mirabell Restaurant
Cuisines: German, European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Transit: Blue Line ( Addison Stop )
Description: Mirabell is an oasis of proud authentic German tradition, with three beautiful dining rooms from which to choose. Chef Werner's Mirabell Restaurant & Lounge serves German- American and Vegetarian Cuisine. Each entree is prepared fresh and is personally approved by Chef Werner Heil before being served. People come from all over for our Wiener Schnitzel, which our customers say is the best they ever tasted. Other favorites include the Kalbsteak Mirabell, Goulash, Sauerbraten, Kassler Ribs, Original Zuricher Kalbsgeschnetzeltes, Beef Tongue, Ox Tails and Beef Rouladen and an assortment of veal dishes. In addition to traditional German food, we prepares fresh fish, a variety of chicken dishes, steaks and daily specials for lunch and dinner.
Chicago, Illinois
“A candidate for "Restaurant Impossible"”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The combination of the dated and worn decor along with the mediocre food signals that this restaurant is well past its prime. Have been twice in the past couple years because they offered discounts on the restaurant coupon sites, but even with a discount coupon, it was not worth the visit. We were in the main dining room on a Saturday night, and there was only one other table of customers. I had one of the traditional Wiener Schnitzel entrees and it was really inedible. All I could think throughout the meal was that if I could submit this restaurant as a candidate for the show "Restaurant Impossible," I would.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Bob C

Roselle, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Little Place”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I just love this little place. We try to go a few times a year. The food is great, and the owner is welcoming. Maybe it's silly, but I like that they always serve beer in apporpriate glasses and steins. It's a short bus ride away from Wrigley Field, which makes it a good place too after ball games. Liver dumpling soup and German beer. Life is good!

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Wonderful food in a cozy German-American atmosphere”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was seeking out German food in Chicago and found Mirabell. It's conveniently located on the Addison Blue Line on the way to O'Hare and within 5 minutes walking distance from the train station. The restaurant is in the style of a German Tavern or Wirtshaus. They also have a cute beer garden. The service is very friendly. The beer selection is impressive and food is just like Oma would make. I recommend the spicy Goulash soup. The Hummel display is a little bit kitsch overkill but charming all the same.

Visited April 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Authentic German Dishes”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although a little off the beaten path, it is close to an EL stop and well worth a couple of blocks of walking. The Goulasch, Wiener Schnitzel Veal w/ Spatzle is outstanding. A huge selection of German beers compliment the meal.

• Visited March 2013
Skokie, Illinois
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked and were confirmed for Oktoberfest for 7:00 pm on a Saturday night more than a week in advance. When we got there, we were told it would be "20 minutes." No less than 45 minutes later we were seated in the non-Oktoberfest part of the restaurant. What's the point of a reservation? Everybody else was seated in the Oktoberfest part, including those who came before us *and after us.* I guess you have to have an in with the manager. While the clientele are really nice people, the management is in fact awful. Literally forgot us and that is unforgivable. I kept trying to remind them of our presence, getting up and getting up, but to no avail. I guess I should have made a fuss, but really didn't want to, but I really didn't like that my partner was so inconvenienced since eating at Mirabell was my idea. Things only went to worse. After being seated in the non-Oktoberfest part, they served food that is so far away from par and authentic German food they should be ashamed. This is *not* authentic German food, no matter what the other shills say about it.. We started with soup and although my partner liked the creme of chicken soup, my goulash was bland when it wasn't overly peppered. The biggest disappointed was the main course. The schnitzel which was tired and tasteless. Forget the spaetzle: all you could taste was burned milk. No vegetables when every other German restaurant in Chicago gives you a salad, too, You get five - count 'em - five pieces of bread, no more. Nobody came to ask if we were okay, nobody refilled the water glasses which stood empty for most of the meal,nobody asked us if we wanted more bread. They were there to take our places when we were about half way done, though. Just terrible.I wouldn't recommend this place to an enemy. Suffice to say, I would never go back and never recommend anybody go there. There are other much, much better German restaurants in Chicago.

• Visited October 2012