“Yum!”

Old Jerusalem Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Jerusalem Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,047 of 9,717 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Israeli
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: W Schiller St
Transit: Sedgwick (Brown Line, Purple Line) Clark/Division (Red Line)
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Great everything! Delicious baba ganoush, hummus, swarma, falafel, Jerusalem salad and tabouli! A little chilly by the windows and only one table large enough for 6.

There are newer reviews for Old Jerusalem Restaurant

Reviewed November 11, 2013

When I was in my late 20's I lived at Schiller and LaSalle street. A new restaurant opened up on Wells street about a block from my apartment. It was Old Jerusalem. Now some 30 years later I went back to my old stomping grounds and ate at Old Jerusalem. The 2 guys that ran the place were no longer there but a young guy looked like one of the original owners. I told him my story and he mentioned that his father still works at the restaurant but was not working today. I ordered a Hummus side and the Shawarma sandwich. The food was still wonderful. Great tasting and still a good value. Some things don't change and that is good!

1  Thank Phil R
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We dropped my bike at Village Cycle Center for repairs on a rainy Sunday, and walked up the street for lunch.What a delicious find for flavorful classic dishes! The Baba Ganouj is the best I've tasted in a long time: delicately smokey, not sour. Their Jerusalem Salad is big chunks of fresh veggies, not minced. The Falafel and Tebouleh are light and spicey.
Of course, I couldn't leave without Turkish coffee and Kinafa - just right, not overpoweringly sweet. I should never settle for bland chain-style Middle Eastern food again.
The restaurant is small, simply decorated, with quiet ethnic music. If it hadn't been rainy & cool today, the sidewalk tables would have been excellent for people-watching in Old Town.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My friend and I went to Zanies for the comedy show and were hungry for a little something after it let out. Most of the places along Wells were closed but the Old Jerusalem Café was still open. We both like Mediterranean food so we stopped in. The place is small but just what I would expect from a great family run place like this. My friend ordered the Feta cheese appetizer which comes with the cheese, olives, tomato and flat bread, she said the flavor was good, but I saw she wanted to put the olives in the flat bread with the cheese and tomato but because they still had pits that made it difficult. I ordered the Falafel which was deep fried. It was a touch over done but the flavor was great. For desert we shared an order of Harisa, a great honey cake that is dense and filling and perfect for sharing.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I love Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food and we've been to this place several times over last two months. It has great casual atmosphere, you can bring wine, so we typically bring a bottle of our favourite Chardonnay and enjoy fresh tasty meal. Highly recommend this place for a relaxed week-day dinner or weekend lunch. And value is great, one of the lowest average checks we have in Chicago is in this place.