“Fantastic Thai Food, Great Value, Neutral Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Star of Siam

Star of Siam
Ranked #263 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Description: Star of Siam serves healthy, delicious, great value food. Star of Siam is the best choice for anyone who loves Thai food. Menu highlights include Padthai Noodles, Cashew Chicken, Tomyum (hot & sour lemongrass soup), Satay with signature peanut sauce and cucumber salad, and authentic tasty curries. Star of Siam is a convenient place to escape from the bustle of downtown.
Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Thai Food, Great Value, Neutral Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

The quality and authenticity of the food at Star of Siam really is five star -- as good as it gets. And, the value is superb -- most entrees in the $7 range -- really great value. Portions are large. Star of Siam is very popular -- always busy even though it is a bit tricky to find (on the lower section of Illinois Street near State, two blocks from where Illinois runs under North Michigan Avenue).

The one shortcoming is very neutral, rather unwelcoming service -- few smiles, staff not very friendly. The problem seems to be that Star of Siam (like so many Asian restaurants) works their staff really hard, so the work environment is not conducive to really friendly service. Please don't get me wrong. The service is not unfriendly nor bad. It is just not friendly -- could be a lot better.

• Visited September 2013

Rockford, Illinois
“Excellent food, huge portions for the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Pad Khee Mao (Spicy Crazy Noodles) were so yummy! And the Tad Mun Pla (Fish Cakes) with the spicy plum sauce were amazing. The service was fast and friendly.

Brooklyn Center
“Perhaps the Very Worst Thai”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

While staying in the Near Northside neighborhood of downtown Chicago we found ourselves weary and not keen on travelling far. Although Star of Siam was ranked much lower than we'd typically chance, we decided if it was good we could advance the restaurant's cause. What a mistake!

I have travelled a bit in Thailand. I enjoy Thai food immensely. I enjoy it whenever and wherever possible. This I am afraid was the very worst, perhaps the worst on earth!

Although the restaurant atmosphere is certainly pleasant and really, the place is pretty, that is where my compliments end. Our experience was so bad we were tempted to warn those who sat near us before we departed must of our meal untouched.

The wait service was fast and pushy. There was no semblance of pleasantry, rather there was an immediate feeling you needed to place your order, eat and get out!

Ordering a Spring roll appetizer, it was delivered in less than two minutes, clearly having been pre-prepared, which on its own merit would have been okay except it was unlike any Thai Spring roll we’d ever had, didn’t taste fresh and was not served with anything with which to season it.

As our main courses we ordered Pad Thai and another noodle dish. The noodles were soggy and flavorless. The vegetables were over-cooked, limp and lacking much of their original color. For the shrimp dish, there were two. Really, the food was ghastly!

Regardless of what those before us have said, regardless of the possibility this was an off-night, the quality of service and food was such that this restaurant should sink further in the ratings and you should do whatever possible to find food elsewhere, anywhere but here!

• Visited September 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Not very flavorful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I ordered the Pad Thai with shrimp along with pot stickers and crab ragoons to go. I ordered the pad thai extra spicy and I think they forgot to add any spice or flavor at all. I don't eat thai food that often but when I do I want good bold flavors and this place didn't deliver. The crab ragoons were ok, nothing special and the pot stickers I have made better ones by buying frozen ones at Sam's and seasoning myself. I love spice and flavor and this place was a huge disappointment.

liverpool
“Average food at a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We visited for lunch and the restaurant was busy but we got a table ok. Food ordered and arrived quickly. It was ok, maybe the choices we made were at fault but maybe not. Had better Thai. Would visit again to try other dishes.