“Favorite Thai food in Chicago”
Review of Thai Classic - CLOSED

Thai Classic
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have eaten at Thai Classic maybe 50 times over the past 15 years. The food is consistently tasty and beautfully prepared. The service is excellent and the environment quiet and peaceful. My favorites are tom yum soup, green curry chicken, Thai basil beef, and vegetable pad thai. I had green curry chicken and pad thai before every major set of exams in medical school and passed with flying colors!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Food was tasteless.
Pad thai was a bad choice.
Shrimps were terrible,no flavor at all

Reviewed June 4, 2011

We have been coming here for over 20 years and after visiting Thailand this food is not only authentic, but amazingly well prepared and delicous - the owner Sammy keeps trying to get us out of our rut but we keep ordering mostly the same beacsue they soooo good! It is the ONLY place that makes Gloden Cups (bedsides Arun's on occasion). The Panang Beef and Orchid Chicken are standouts as are the Drunken Noodles - we love this place!!!

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We had a great meal, good curry, good sauces in general, very friendly service, and very helpful. Out-of-the-way restaurant, we found by accident when shopping at The Alley, a cool counter-culture three-level store and tattoo parlor. We tried to find a unique restaurant and the snow drove us into this Thai place. We walked in and saw the floor seating as well as table seating and the place was dead so we thought well maybe it's just cute but the food's no good? Nope! The food was great! I only wish we had gone during their buffet, yum.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

I had a Tom Kar soup with tofu and a Mixed Vegetables red curry, with white rice.

The soup was almost ok. I found a bit unfortunate the choice of white champignon as opposed to straw mushrooms but... what would you expect for 4 bucks.

The curry was a lamentable choice. Slightly blanched random vegetables dumped last-minute in a red curry which I can make at home with red curry paste and coconut milk. And a big bowl, too.

I was up for fine dining after reading all the other reviews but I guess my expectations were too high and I trusted people who have just no idea.

The restaurant is as generic as the most generic Chinese buffet all-you-can-eat.

The atmosphere is even creepy at times, the decor has nothing to do with Thailand, if we exclude the fake orchids I found in a corner above the buffet.

This is not serious Thai, just stay away unless you are up for a cheap dinner.