“Best Greek FOOD in Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Athenian Room

Athenian Room
Ranked #1,778 of 9,495 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Cold Town USA
“Best Greek FOOD in Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We always get the Chicken Kalamata which is outstanding. We pick up from here because its always a long wait for a table. Wish they delivered. Sometimes you have to wait but it is always worth it.

• Visited August 2013

Stockbridge, Michigan
“Greek Tragedy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant was located near my inn so I stopped in, the waitress barely said anything to me just gave me a menu then left. the noise in the place made the atmosphere a non relaxing one so I took my order to go. Yes I admit I gave no tip but to me good service is making the customer feel welcome and I did not receive that.

once back to my room the bun of sandwich was all soggy because they did not separate the sauce with the fries it was all just tossed in the carrier, the food was bland too. not the place to go for solo traveling more a group or family restaurant.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank cuteangel79
Plano, Texas
“Great Restaurant & Bar with Friendly Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We met a friend in Chicago, and a local gallery owner gave this as his choice in our quest for authentic Greek food. We were very pleased with our meal. We went on a Saturday at lunch and were seated after just a few moments. This place gets busy, so be aware you might wait a little bit, but it will be worth it. We started with the Greek Caviar spread....it has a long Greek name, so I don't know how to spell or say it, but it was tasty and very delicious on the bread they served. My wife got the Grilled Chicken with fries and it was yummy. I had the Gyros platter and our friend got the chicken kabobs. They were all very substantial and well prepared. The service was wonderful, from a yound lady named Krissy. She was very kind to us, and she didn't rush us as we spent time catching up with our friend. Krissy was an excellent waitress and helpful with any questions we had. It is hard to say who is the sweetest, Krissy or the Athenian Room's Baklava!!!! ...so save some room for the baklava, or buy a piece to take home...it is some of the best I've ever had. The restaurant is in a cool Chicago neighborhood, near a university. There is a metro stop near them, but we were driving, and it wasn't too difficult to find free parking in the nieghborhood, which is a rarity in Chicago where you pay about $4/hour on the metered street parking. So between that, and the prices being so reasonable at the restaurant, I'd have to say out of all the meals we had on our trip, the Athenian Room rates at the top on value and quality. It's the next best thing to flying to Athens, Greece!

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“The Best Greek Style Chicken on the Planet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I make the Athenian room a regular stop when in chicago. The place is small, quaint, has valet parking, and is located in a great spot on Webster right off Halstead.

Grab a plat of the greek/Kalamata style chicken, served over greek fries, with a greek salad. Make the walk up the steps, and enjoy your chicken w a pint of your favorite beer at Glasscott's tap!

chicago neighborhood dining at its finest!!!

• Visited October 2012
Frankfurt
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not authentic”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This place does not deserve to be called a Greek restaurant. Besides the name and the pictures on the wall, this has nothing to do with a Grecian cuisine at all! The food reminds more of a fast food kebab house than a Greek restaurant. You can choose between burgers, grilled chicken half's and gyros (the only thing reminding of Grecian food!) are you serious?? Never heard of moussaka, souvlaki, bifteki, suzuki...? There is no single fish dish on the menu neither, nor famous Grecian wine retsina. Be ashamed!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Michael B

Been to Athenian Room? Share your experiences!