“Great Birthday experience for all!”

American Girl Place Cafe
Ranked #527 of 9,531 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Florida
“Great Birthday experience for all!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I took my 2 yr old granddaugter to American Girl for her birthday to pick out her first American Girl doll and we had lunch at the cafe. It is such a cute experience for little girls, their mothers, and their grandmothers!!! I know I had as much fun as she and the other little girls did. Though she may be young, she loves her dolls and loved having her baby sit at the table with her. They don't do birthday cakes for children under three but they did put a candle in her cupcake and it worked just fine for her. She had a blast blowing it out. What a wonderful memory for all of us. Food was ok, nothing special but that wouldn't stop me from going back. We all had a great time.

Visited October 2012

Rockford, Illinois
“Perfect Delight for Little Girls”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The AG experience is a must for any little girl who loves her dolls…it’s like putting a child into Santa’s workshop. It’s magical, it’s fun, it’s pink, pink, pink and something special just for them. It is a little pricey (especially the fact that you pay the same price for a child’s meal as an adults) but it is really the experience you are paying for. We have been three times and actually the food is pretty good – if I had to pick though I would say the tea service is the best meal…plus tea just makes a little girl feel fancy! Each doll gets her own chair and tea cup service (at all meals) much to the delight of my 5 year old. It’s just a specials, girly time where the little ones are catered to first and foremost. Highly recommended for little girls who still are in the doll loving stage. Must make reservations....not sure you will be able to get in without them.

• Visited September 2012
Indianapolis, IN
“Don't go for the food!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Took my almost 5 year old here for her upcoming birthday. most everything I will say is simply a variation of others' reviews.
Pros: They made a solid attempt to customize an allergen safe meal for my celiac daughter. The decor is absolutely darling and the conversation cards at each table were fun, even for the almost 5 year old! The warm cinnamon buns to start were yummy (went downhill from there)! We changed our reservation time the day of and they were very accommodating. The chimes to mark the beginning of the lunch seating was charming, the doll chair and china were fun. The food presentation is also adorable. Our waiter was very nice and the young lady clearing dishes and refilling beverages was very attentive.
Cons: The food, the food, the food, the price! Daughter had gluten free plate with mini hamburger, hot dog and salad. She ate the hot dog and one tiny bite of the hamburger. I was going to make her eat more, but my husband had the glutenized version (with the buns) and said the burger was gross so I didn't push her. They also did not have a gluten free ranch dressing, so they gave her a vinegar based salad dressing that she would not eat. It was finished off with a gluten free blueberry muffin (she LOVED!) and a raspberry sorbet that tasted mildly of alcohol (she hated). I had the teryaki chicken and salad. The chicken was so rubbery and dry it was barely edible. Maybe the breakfast/brunch is better, but it was too expensive even for the experience to leave starving! I'd like to say we will never return, but I imagine over time the memory will fade and my daughter will want to return. Sigh.... the things we endure for our children! ;)

• Visited September 2012
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Great Experience For Your Daughter”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We made reservations in advance of our trip. The table setting was very pretty and the food presentation was beautiful. They even bring a tea cup for your doll. The menu offered a choice of items. Wasn't sure it would satisfy my husband, but it did! They provide appetizers and bread plus dessert, so no one left hungry. We even brought some of our desserts back with us. Some girls were celebrating birthdays, so the staff was singing to many tables at the end of the meal. Was a great experience.

Visited August 2012
Ovid, Michigan
“Every Little Girls Dream come True!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

WOW!! What an amazing experience!! As soon as you are seated the entire table is treated amazingly!! From the little doll "boosters", and "tea" for the dolls... Your little girls will have the time of their life, as well as their American Girl Dolls!! Service is great, food is great!! Can't wait to take my princess again!!

Visited June 2012