“Great Food, Service, Guinness and Jameson”
Review of The Irish Oak

The Irish Oak
Ranked #1,152 of 10,110 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Irish
Neighborhood: Wrigleyville
Neighborhood: Wrigleyville
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is an excellent bar to go for drinks, revelry and good bar food. We stopped by before AND after the Phillies-Cubs game and were not disappointed! Every time a Jameson bottle is finished and celebration and bottle signing ensues!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Irish Oak was the first pub I visited on my first trip to Chicago in 2004... it was like walking into a bar in Westport. Heaven.

Since then - in the last 2 years - the pub has been refurbished and has lost most of its Olde Worlde charm... the food is still good, the beer still tastes good, but it now has the feel of a pretend pub rather than the authentic charm it used to have.

Also agree with an earlier poster... what used to be excellent service staff / bar staff have deteriorated in standard.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great location near Wrigley Park.
Good selection of pub food at reasonable prices. Good selection of beer, but I prefer Chicago's Goose Island beer.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've been coming to The Irish Oak for years. It's one of the places I try to get to every time I'm in Chicago. I've never had a bad time here.

They serve traditional Irish breakfast in the morning, which has been good in the past (haven't had it in years). I'm sure I've had other items from their menu once or twice, but I can't remember them as I was really inebriated during those times.

The atmosphere has changed a little since I was here last (2009). They seem to be running the "skinny girls in tight, low-cut shirts" angle these days. The service was still very good, however.

If you use the Foursquare application on your smartphone, you can check in here for specials. It was free miniature Guinnesses when we were there last weekend.

We had to shots of Jameson and two ciders. Our bill was $18 before the tip. That seemed about right given the shots and being in a major tourist section of town.

We were only there for about a half hour since we had baseball tickets for a 12:05 game, so it was hard to get a real fix on any flaws or improvements. But I will be back...as always.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Used to be a great place. No more. Rotten bartender talking with guys at bar. Drama. Bar rescue needs to visit and see if it can ever come back to life. Sucks